Sonoco Products

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sourcing Specialist Interview

Sourcing Specialist
Hartsville, SC

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Sonoco Products.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by a panel style interview on-site. Traditional behavioral-based questions. No case questions. The Sonoco work environment seems very traditional and corporate. The people are all nice and friendly. The interview was very conversational, and did not feel like a grill session. The interviewers injected their questions as follow-ups to the conversation we were having.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you have worked with a difficult person on a team.   View Answer

General Recruiting Interview

General Recruiting

Interviewed at Sonoco Products

Interview Details – The interview process is about 30-40 minutes. I was asked a lot of specific experience, like could you explain the internship experience? What you have learned from the experience. HR is very nice and professional. I did not get too harsh questions in the interview. The only thing I recommend is being prepared for this kind of question (past specific experience).

Interview Question – No difficult question. But should be really familiar with your resume.   Answer Question

Production Manager Interview

Production Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Sonoco Products.

Interview Details – use panel interviews. nothing very structured.

Interview Question – expect a lot of questions regarding safety   View Answer

Negotiation Details – protracted

Very Difficult Interview

Strategy & Marketing Intern Interview

Strategy & Marketing Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sonoco Products in January 2012.

Interview Details – 1st step was a phone interview where they asked about my past experience, what I was looking for in a job, what I could offer to their initiatives, and if I thought they were a good fit for me.
2nd step was a case presentation. They gave me just over 24 hours to research a specific industry. I had to choose a country to take my industry into, develop a strategy, etc. My assignment was to present a 5 slide powerpoint that. This was done over a web conference. I had a written offer within 5 days.

Interview Question – What insights from your older job do you think could help take our company forward?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was pleased with the written offer letter, which included a salary, housing allowance, and start date. I printed this letter, signed it, and faxed it back.

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee

Interviewed at Sonoco Products

Interview Details – College career fair interview was the first step. Then a phone interview with 2 upper level managers. Then an onsite panel interview with 4 upper level managers

Interview Question – What is the biggest mistake you've ever made.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Seamless discussions with HR

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Sonoco Products.

Interview Details – The entire process was terrible. Did sevetral rounds of phone and face to face interviews. Then was asked to submit a written paragraph of a project that I have done. Then was asked to come back (traveling from out of state) for a 1 hour interview. Told them no. After the first visit to the location was told would make a decision in 2 weeks. 3 months later, got a ding email.

Interview Question – The questions were as expected.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Business Development

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sonoco Products in January 2009.

Interview Details – The process took a long time overall, but once I actually interviewed with various people was not too stressful or grueling. Met many key functional leads for a full day and they all asked fairly similar questions (mostly on background and experience).

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult boss you had and what you did to handle the situation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I initially declined and asked for more salary (not by much), and more vacation

Maintenance/Mold Set Interview

Maintenance/Mold Set
Portland, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sonoco Products in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with the Maintenance Supervisor and head of human resources, basic experience questions, some testing, plant walk-through if called back for second interview, what are your pay requirements etc.

Interview Question – What do you expect from us as a company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – came in blind as to the average salary for te position, bid low and was accepted immediately.

Mill Supply Manager Interview

Mill Supply Manager
Lancaster, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sonoco Products in April 2008.

Interview Details – Initial contact and phone interview was conducted through an internal recruiter. We discussed the requirements for the position and my experience. After I was called back and asked to come to their HQ for further, in-person interviews. There were approximately 5 interviews with upper level managers and the internal recruiter. Typical situation type interviews, discussions about my previous experience and questions about myself and where do I see myself in 5 years. They have a standard list of questions, however, the higher up the manager giving the interview, the less they stick to the questions. I felt it was a fair (not easy/not tough) interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you disagreed with your manager. How did you go about influencing their decision?   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate above my current salary, however, I was able to negotiate for the 3 weeks of vacation I already had with my current employer.

Student Intern Interview

Student Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Sonoco Products in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted for an interview after speaking with them at a Career Fair. The interview process was pretty straightforward, they asked about my previous job experience and my classes. I was a business student so I don't think they were interviewing many of those, mostly engineering students. They didn't get back to me for a long time so I had already thought that I hadn't gotten the job by the time they called me to tell me I had.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions, none were unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, however they paid me very well for an intern, so no negotiations were necessary.

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!