Sonoma Partners

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sonoma Partners in May 2010.

Interview Details – I have to say that I was initially super excited about interviewing at Sonoma, but after the interview process, I am super thankful that I was turned down for the position. Initially I was emailed back and was told that I would receive a call from the HR lady. She failed not only to call me once or twice, but three times! Three days in a row I sat by the phone patiently waiting, and each day I emailed her after about an hour. She replied all three times saying she had an emergency (interesting that another post on here says the same). When she finally did call, she called fifteen minutes late and was somewhat snippy. A few days later I received a call from a Consulting Director from their Denver office. She was very polite, asked me a few questions about my background and told me I would hear back from the HR lady. Yikes.

A few days later I received an email from the HR lady asking when I could come in for an interview. She also sent along a few slides from which I was to make a presentation. On the day of the interview, I was running five minutes late due to a train malfunction and called her as soon as I found out to let her know. As soon as I got into the office, the HR lady met me and told me that they do not interview candidates that are late (funny since she failed to call me three times without even informing me of what was going on). She said that the team was still willing to interview me, so off I went.

I went into a conference room and there was an interview panel made up of four people plus the HR lady. Now, I have never been to an interview with the HR lady standing in, but hey, I guess this place really is different. I went to show my presentation, but they hadn’t even set up the room, and the connection for the projector was not functioning, so I passed out the slides that I had printed out (it’s good to be prepared). I went through my presentation, was asked questions about it and then was interviewed one by one by all four interviewers. Afterwards, I was told to do a skills test, followed up by creating documentation for five features in Microsoft Word. Once that was over, I was asked a math question and had to explain my thought behind why and how I got to my answer. After that I was asked by all four interviewers plus the HR lady what I would do with $500,000. The interview was finally over.
A few days later I was told that they were pursuing a different direction. I thought to myself, what a waste of time. Looking back, barely any of the questions I received during the interview were related to the Business Analyst position I was applying to.

My biggest advice to them: Get a new HR lady… if she expects people not to be even a second late to her interview, then she shouldn’t be three days late in calling to set up the interview in the first place.

Interview Question – I don't remember the question completely, but it was something about a 2 guys on one side of a lake, having to walk across a beam with something in the middle, each guy weighing a certain amount, how long it would take for them to get to one side as fast as possible.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sonoma Partners in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR.
2 Separate phone interviews with Managers

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Business Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Sonoma Partners in May 2011.

Interview Details – Someone from HR emailed me, asking if a particular time was good for a phone interview. I emailed back yes, and the interviewer eventually confirmed the time. The interview lasted all of 11 minutes. I am qualified for the position, responded to questions well, and felt that the interview went well. It was incredibly rushed. After I answered the phone, the interviewer jumped RIGHT into basic questions without even trying to get to know me, or without trying to talk about the company or the position. Like another submitter said, it was like the interviewer had already made up her mind before interviewing me. The interviewer's emails were also incredibly brief and too the point. The questions asked during the interview were way too vague and the answers wouldn't really lead to any idea of the qualifications of the candidate.

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to hire on the cheap, and that someone like me with an MBA would want more money than they would offer. She said the salary range was from 60k to 80k.

Sonoma, if you guys are listening, I would seriously add some structure to the first interviews.

Interview Question – Why don't you have a job yet?   View Answer

Business Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Sonoma Partners in March 2011.

Interview Details – Very quick phone interview. Basically just went through my resume. It seemed rushed, almost like it was a formality that I wasn't the one they were looking for before the interview even began.

Interview Question – What is your favorite and least favorite part of the SDLC.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sonoma Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Sonoma Partners Videos

Sonoma Partners – Why Work for Us?

Sonoma Partners offers its employees an exciting, creative and fast-paced working environment. Unlike traditional consulting firms that base their hiring practices on expecting high employee turnover, Sonoma Partners… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonoma Partners Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sonoma Partners employees and interview candidates.