Sonoma Partners

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.2

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Initial email communication. Immediate feedback. Company very willing to work with my schedule for interviews. Panel interview was medium in intensity. Company was willing to pay for any interview expense such as travel, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Was requested to map out a workflow given a business case.   View Answer
    Negotiation was straightforward and limited to one exchange.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in November 2014.

A basic phone interview was firstly provided, including behavior questions, like the past projects, any situation when I did not get along well with team members, how did I solve the problem. The next step is a off-line coding assignments including 4 questions (find the nth prime number, find sequence of set in another set, other two were easy).

Interview Questions
    • Any situation when I did not get along well with team members   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

You can find every step of the interview process in the previous posts. Their interview questions haven't been changed since 2011 I guess. Over all it seems pretty good, as they have great office and nice staff, but basically you won't get the offer if you need H1B sponsor or something like that.

Sonoma Partners Response

Sep 22, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you taking time to interview with our team. We in fact do provide sponsorship for development positions and have employees for whom we’re providing visa sponsorship currently. Our ... More

Senior Developer Interview

Be warned that the reviews below saying is exactly what you're going through. Basically, phone interview, online skills test, week assignment and then you get email that they are going with other candidates. Don't waste you time unless you have nothing to do other than their tests.

Sonoma Partners Response

Aug 1, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. We apologize you felt you did not receive a sufficient amount of feedback as to why we did not move forward with the interview process. Unfortunately your code did not ... More

Software Developer Interview

The first thing I had to do for Sonoma was a short test (I think it was around 10 questions) with basic technical questions. After that there was a phone interview with one of the development managers which included writing some code in an online notepad type thing. After this I was sent a code test to complete on my own time within a few days. The code test was a visual studio solution with 4-5 projects that each needed to be finished for an exercise in the test.

After emailing my completed test back to them I was invited for an in-person interview. The interview consisted of a wonderlic test and a whiteboard session with 2 developers where I had to explain how I would structure code for a board game. I then had lunch with 2 managers and 1 vp of development that felt pretty casual. I then interviewed with the three of them individually where they asked me about my background. They were very open to me also asking them questions about their development process and the company. It did not feel very formal at all and I thought I had a good discussion with each of them.

I was very impressed with the people I spoke to while I was there and felt that there were people I could see myself learning from if I worked there. Sonoma's process overall was much more involved than other companies I had interviewed with which gave me the impression that they have a higher standard for the people they hire - now that I work here, this definitely seems to be true.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was coding/diagramming a program on a whiteboard in front of 2 developers.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in March 2014.

Most of the ten or so interviews I have gone on in the past few months have been pretty straight forward. They all usually begin with an online test, phone call, followed by a simple personal interview. Sonoma Partners has been the only exception to this. Sonoma seems to be a very cultivated place when it comes to their culture and perhaps is the reason why their interview process is so different and involved. My experience with their interview was all in all great but ended with a "cliff hanger" of sorts. I will divide this review into paragraphs, each one being a part of the interview process.

The first part to their interview process is a simple phone call and completion of a C# proficiency test online. I can't remember the exact site that was used but it was your usual programming test. E.G. What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface etc. It is timed and there are also some workflow questions where you have to follow along by eye and choose the correct output. All in all it was fairly simple.

The second part of the interview process involved another phone call with one of the senior developers. He explained what the company did, their benefits, and asked me a few questions. After the short intro I was told to follow a dotnetfiddle link so that I can code while he watched. He was very easy going, down to earth, and willing to help you along the way. I believe the problem I had to fix had to do something with ordering datetimes and was not too difficult. The first problem he presented me with made use of the C# Tuple class which I had never seen before. He tried explaining it but eventually gave me another problem. Apparently I wasn't the first to complain about the tuple.

The third part to the interview process was another coding test. This time I was sent a project in which I had to provide implementation to solve four different problems. The problems are as follows : 1) Find the Nth Prime 2) Make a method to return a boolean indicating if a set of input dates overlapped 3.) Find the needle in the haystack (an array of strings (haystack) an array of strings (needle)) 4) Build a tree view in code using a dataset that is set for you already. They gave me a week to do it but I turned it in three days later.

For the fourth part I was told that the senior developer really liked me and that I did great on my tests. They asked me to come in for an almost 4 hour face to face interview process. I went in and first met with the VP of development who was very laid back and young. He almost gave me the vibe of a California surfboarder. He asked me to go over my resume and also tell him what my interests and hobbies were.

The second part of this interview was with two senior developers. They had me write out pseudo code on how I would go about creating the structure of a checkers game. After that they had me try and implement it in code. I did not finish but they told me that no one ever finishes, it's just meant to see how you think when you code. Both of the developers were pretty cool although they were a lot less down to earth than the VP of development.

The third part to this interview was with the principle of development. This guy was just like the VP of development, very down to earth and easy going. We basically talked about my resume and he went through a list of programming concepts and technologies asking me if I knew each one or not.

The final part of this interview was with the HR lady. She didn't seem as down to earth as the VP and Principle but she was more down to earth than the two senior developers. She asked me your average job applicant personality type questions. This was followed by a wonderlic test which they said they don't really use.

After the interview the VP, one of the senior devs, and the HR lady treated me to lunch.

I emailed the HR lady two days later thanking them for the lunch and apologizing for not saying it earlier as I get anxious on interviews. She responded with the same email that many of the other reviews spoke about. It was robotic and definitely scripted. It did not address my previous email at all and simply said they were pursuing other candidates.

All in all I would say that they are looking for "gen Yers" fresh out of college. I myself am 25 with 4.5 years experience in .net but do not have my college degree. I shared highshools with the HR lady and thought that had scored me some points but it did not. They really like the culture they have there. (I don't blame them) It seems like a really amazing place to work at. I did not see every single employee but from the employees I did see they all seemed to fit the mid 20's Caucasian profile. Some even looked like Hipsters. It is a very young company.

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing in the past that you broke, or had a negative impact on (project wise) and explain how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Contacted after initial conversation at a career fair, was asked to do an online assessment, and later asked to do another, but after a couple weeks of this process... chose to take another offer.

Interview Questions
    • Thought that the evaluation process of candidates was very strange.   Answer Question

Consultant/PM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in November 2011.

Started with an interview with HR. That was fine - very low key and questions were exactly what others have indicated with the "hr lady". Next up was phone interview with consulting director in denver office. That was a piece of cake - mostly talking about past experience. Third phone screen was with a peer from the chicago office. Was then asked to fly into chicago for face-to-face, wonderlic test and workflow presentation.

First was the IQ test via wonderlic then the workflow test. I had asked up front if i could find out my score after the test. More on this later. I was given a specific amount of time to do the wonderlic. It was easy, i almost got through all the questions and tried to because I was under the impression that answering incorrectly vs not answering is the same outcome. The workflow test was a page of if then statements (code) and it was up to me to reverse engineer this into workflow process diagram.. After this, a panel came in (mgr and two consultants) to discuss my process flow. I was told it was one of the best representations of the correct answer they had seen (could have been feeding me a line of BS for all i know) but as I was walking them through it i found an error and corrected it. Next was one on one with the mgr, followed by two consultants. The mgr questions were scripted from other interviews on this website. The first consultant came in with a list of questions (maybe 20-30) and asked them back to back (first time I have ever encountered something like this). The last consultant (the youngest) was the most personable and non robotic. Overall, this interview was not difficult at all. After this, I walked out and chatted with the Hr lady and went to lunch with everyone I interacted with. Had a nice lunch (they treated) and said our goodbyes. I followed up with a thank you when i returned to my home city. I asked again about my wonderlic results with hr prior to lunch (joked about the wonderlic and football). I received a robotic email like others have mentioned a week later stating they had moved on with other candidates. Never received the wonderlic score. Considering I was a MS company referral, Im a bit surprised with their impersonal response but then after reading other interview summaries, Im not. I wish anyone success in interviewing with them but temper your hopes for a response after interviewing.

My recommendations for anyone interviewing, read through the questions others have posted and you will know what to expect. Recommendation for Sonoma - get some new questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you had 1 million dollars, what type of business would you start?   View Answer
    • Are you left or right brain?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in June 2011.

Phone interview with HR.
    2 Separate phone interviews with Managers

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in June 2011.

I received an email from the HR Director requesting a time to setup a phone interview two weeks after applying for a Business Systems Analyst position. A phone interview with the HR Director was scheduled for the following week. The phone conversation lasted approximately 20 minutes in which the HR Director asked questions to gain a better understanding of why I was leaving my current employer, why I was interested in working at Sonoma Partners and what my salary expectations were. The HR Director allocated time at the end of our conversation for me to ask any questions I may have.

Approximately 2 days later I received an email from the HR Director stating I would be moving on to the next phase in the interview process. The second phase consisted of a phone interview with the Consulting Director. This conversation was scheduled for the following week. The Consulting Director’s goal was to gain a better understanding of my technical experience. He specifically asked questions regarding my involvement in the projects listed on my resume, the SDLC, and my experience with CRM applications. The Consulting Director allocated time at the end of our conversation to provide me additional information surrounding the company’s organizational structure, short and long-term goals. I was informed the HR Director would notify me within a week if I would proceed to the final stage of the interview process.

The next day I received an email from the HR Director informing me that I would proceed to the final stage of the interview process. My onsite interview was scheduled two weeks out. The HR Director Cc’d the Office Manger on the email. The next day the Office Manager emailed me a 7 page case study instructing me to prepare 6 PowerPoint slides to present at my onsite interview. Obviously, the scheduled my onsite interview two weeks out to give me ample time to prepare for the presentation.

After arriving onsite, I was taken into a back room in which they had me setup to complete a Wonderlic Aptitude Test online followed by a workflow test. They allocate about 30 minutes to complete both test. The 50 question Wonderlic Aptitude Test was to be completed in 12 minutes. Upon completion I was instructed to jump into the workflow test as draw my response on the board in the room. After 30 minutes management entered the room, introduced themselves, and asked me to explain the workflow I drew on the board. Afterwards I pulled my 6 PowerPoint slide up on the computer and walked management through my though process in constructing my slides. Afterwards two of the managers left allowing me to meet with the Consulting Director 1 on 1. I also met with the other two managers 1 on 1 for about 30 minutes each.
    I felt good about the interview process from my first conversation with the HR Director. However, I became skeptical about receiving an offer after I was informed the HR Director was in the office during my onsite interview. Had she been there I was told I would have had the opportunity to meet with her 1 on 1. Three days later I received an email from the HR Director stating they were not filling the position at this time but when they do they would like to speak with me again. I went above and beyond to prove my worth and I don’t understand why an organization would spend a month interviewing someone if they knew they weren’t filling the position anytime soon.