Sonoma Partners Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

3.2

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I submitted my resume through Sonoma Partners' website. After three days, I was contacted via email and asked to complete a skills test. Four days after that, I received an email telling me they wanted to proceed with a phone interview. The woman from SP called and conducted my interview process. As mentioned below, the phone interview asked all very standard questions. What I immediately found concerning was how she sped through her questions and was incredibly short with me. It was evident she did not want to be conducting this phone interview. There was a point in the interview where I asked some personal questions I had for her about the company and heard an audible *sigh* from her over the phone. Needless to say, less than a third of the way through my interview and I already knew she had ruled me out. I'm unclear if she had already chosen her candidates(but was obligated to interview me so decided to coast through my time), was in a bad mood prior to my interview slot, or just generally unequipped for her role as an interviewer. The most disappointing thing here is that I really wanted to be a part of what SP was building as an organization. On paper, they sound like a great company with an extraordinary work culture. I can accept if I'm not the right fit for a company, or if another candidate is more qualified. This exchange however, didn't even allow me to prove anything over the phone. I'm curious to know how many other great, viable candidates were lost in the process due to this one "gatekeeper" and her inability to conduct interviews professionally. Ideally this review is meant to reach someone at SP, and hopefully they can validate/change what I consider to be an inept ability to interact with potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• Standard templated phone interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Apr 2, 2015 – Sr. Recruiter

We are sorry to hear you were not happy with your experience. We value candidate feedback that helps us continually improve our recruiting process. I would like to discuss this with you further ... More

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Interview

Their interview process is very thorough. It begins with turning in your application, a quick skills test, then phone interviews, and on site interviews. There was even a project to show off your skills and how you think! Each position applied for has it's on project. It's not about getting it perfect, but showing that you know the basics, can describe your thought process, and have new ideas!

Interview Questions

• One of the most common questions was how I would handle having multiple projects with conflicting or simultaneous deadlines.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Interview

Initial email communication. Immediate feedback. Company very willing to work with my schedule for interviews. Panel interview was medium in intensity. Company was willing to pay for any interview expense such as travel, etc.

Interview Questions

• Was requested to map out a workflow given a business case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was straightforward and limited to one exchange.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in November 2014.

Interview

A basic phone interview was firstly provided, including behavior questions, like the past projects, any situation when I did not get along well with team members, how did I solve the problem. The next step is a off-line coding assignments including 4 questions (find the nth prime number, find sequence of set in another set, other two were easy).

Interview Questions

• Any situation when I did not get along well with team members   Answer Question

Senior CRM PM Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in October 2014.

Interview

I'll echo everyone else's comments here about the interview process. I found everyone I met with to be friendly, interesting and generally curious during the interview phases, including the 5+ hour gauntlet on the final day. I have to say, receiving the Dear John email with no offer was rather shocking and quite honestly unprofessional. Not to mention, the reason they cited for not moving forward with an offer was something that was discussed numerous times during the phone interview process. Overall, it was frustrating to witness their professionalism evaporate so quickly after the final interview.

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

Interview

You can find every step of the interview process in the previous posts. Their interview questions haven't been changed since 2011 I guess. Over all it seems pretty good, as they have great office and nice staff, but basically you won't get the offer if you need H1B sponsor or something like that.

Interview Questions

Sonoma Partners Response

Sep 22, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking time to interview with our team. We in fact do provide sponsorship for development positions and have employees for whom we’re providing visa sponsorship currently. Our ... More

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

Interview

I met them at a college campus career fair. I was contacted the next day with an online test that was fairly easy presuming you know Java / Javascript and C#. After that I was granted a phone interview that was non-technical and very informative. It mostly involved me asking them questions about the process and they gave a nice overview of the job requirements and expectations. They then sent me a programming assignment that would be reviewed by a developer. After this point, I had received another offer and decided to decline further interviews with Sonoma. However, I had inquired as to their process and will attempt to describe it to the best of my understanding. After the programming assignment, if they were satisfied with my work I would have a phone interview with a developer. If that went well then I would have been invited to Chicago to have an extensive on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• The programming assignment, while not difficult, was a fairly large undertaking just to receive an interview. It wasn't unreasonable or ridiculous, but it was a decent amount of work.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Interview

Be warned that the reviews below saying is exactly what you're going through. Basically, phone interview, online skills test, week assignment and then you get email that they are going with other candidates. Don't waste you time unless you have nothing to do other than their tests.

Interview Questions

Sonoma Partners Response

Aug 1, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. We apologize you felt you did not receive a sufficient amount of feedback as to why we did not move forward with the interview process. Unfortunately your code did not ... More

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The first thing I had to do for Sonoma was a short test (I think it was around 10 questions) with basic technical questions. After that there was a phone interview with one of the development managers which included writing some code in an online notepad type thing. After this I was sent a code test to complete on my own time within a few days. The code test was a visual studio solution with 4-5 projects that each needed to be finished for an exercise in the test. After emailing my completed test back to them I was invited for an in-person interview. The interview consisted of a wonderlic test and a whiteboard session with 2 developers where I had to explain how I would structure code for a board game. I then had lunch with 2 managers and 1 vp of development that felt pretty casual. I then interviewed with the three of them individually where they asked me about my background. They were very open to me also asking them questions about their development process and the company. It did not feel very formal at all and I thought I had a good discussion with each of them. I was very impressed with the people I spoke to while I was there and felt that there were people I could see myself learning from if I worked there. Sonoma's process overall was much more involved than other companies I had interviewed with which gave me the impression that they have a higher standard for the people they hire - now that I work here, this definitely seems to be true.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was coding/diagramming a program on a whiteboard in front of 2 developers.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Most of the ten or so interviews I have gone on in the past few months have been pretty straight forward. They all usually begin with an online test, phone call, followed by a simple personal interview. Sonoma Partners has been the only exception to this. Sonoma seems to be a very cultivated place when it comes to their culture and perhaps is the reason why their interview process is so different and involved. My experience with their interview was all in all great but ended with a "cliff hanger" of sorts. I will divide this review into paragraphs, each one being a part of the interview process. The first part to their interview process is a simple phone call and completion of a C# proficiency test online. I can't remember the exact site that was used but it was your usual programming test. E.G. What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface etc. It is timed and there are also some workflow questions where you have to follow along by eye and choose the correct output. All in all it was fairly simple. The second part of the interview process involved another phone call with one of the senior developers. He explained what the company did, their benefits, and asked me a few questions. After the short intro I was told to follow a dotnetfiddle link so that I can code while he watched. He was very easy going, down to earth, and willing to help you along the way. I believe the problem I had to fix had to do something with ordering datetimes and was not too difficult. The first problem he presented me with made use of the C# Tuple class which I had never seen before. He tried explaining it but eventually gave me another problem. Apparently I wasn't the first to complain about the tuple. The third part to the interview process was another coding test. This time I was sent a project in which I had to provide implementation to solve four different problems. The problems are as follows : 1) Find the Nth Prime 2) Make a method to return a boolean indicating if a set of input dates overlapped 3.) Find the needle in the haystack (an array of strings (haystack) an array of strings (needle)) 4) Build a tree view in code using a dataset that is set for you already. They gave me a week to do it but I turned it in three days later. For the fourth part I was told that the senior developer really liked me and that I did great on my tests. They asked me to come in for an almost 4 hour face to face interview process. I went in and first met with the VP of development who was very laid back and young. He almost gave me the vibe of a California surfboarder. He asked me to go over my resume and also tell him what my interests and hobbies were. The second part of this interview was with two senior developers. They had me write out pseudo code on how I would go about creating the structure of a checkers game. After that they had me try and implement it in code. I did not finish but they told me that no one ever finishes, it's just meant to see how you think when you code. Both of the developers were pretty cool although they were a lot less down to earth than the VP of development. The third part to this interview was with the principle of development. This guy was just like the VP of development, very down to earth and easy going. We basically talked about my resume and he went through a list of programming concepts and technologies asking me if I knew each one or not. The final part of this interview was with the HR lady. She didn't seem as down to earth as the VP and Principle but she was more down to earth than the two senior developers. She asked me your average job applicant personality type questions. This was followed by a wonderlic test which they said they don't really use. After the interview the VP, one of the senior devs, and the HR lady treated me to lunch. I emailed the HR lady two days later thanking them for the lunch and apologizing for not saying it earlier as I get anxious on interviews. She responded with the same email that many of the other reviews spoke about. It was robotic and definitely scripted. It did not address my previous email at all and simply said they were pursuing other candidates. All in all I would say that they are looking for "gen Yers" fresh out of college. I myself am 25 with 4.5 years experience in .net but do not have my college degree. I shared highshools with the HR lady and thought that had scored me some points but it did not. They really like the culture they have there. (I don't blame them) It seems like a really amazing place to work at. I did not see every single employee but from the employees I did see they all seemed to fit the mid 20's Caucasian profile. Some even looked like Hipsters. It is a very young company.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing in the past that you broke, or had a negative impact on (project wise) and explain how you overcame it.   Answer Question