Sonoma Partners Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I submitted my resume through Sonoma Partners' website. After three days, I was contacted via email and asked to complete a skills test. Four days after that, I received an email telling me they wanted to proceed with a phone interview. The woman from SP called and conducted my interview process. As mentioned below, the phone interview asked all very standard questions. What I immediately found concerning was how she sped through her questions and was incredibly short with me. It was evident she did not want to be conducting this phone interview. There was a point in the interview where I asked some personal questions I had for her about the company and heard an audible *sigh* from her over the phone. Needless to say, less than a third of the way through my interview and I already knew she had ruled me out. I'm unclear if she had already chosen her candidates(but was obligated to interview me so decided to coast through my time), was in a bad mood prior to my interview slot, or just generally unequipped for her role as an interviewer. The most disappointing thing here is that I really wanted to be a part of what SP was building as an organization. On paper, they sound like a great company with an extraordinary work culture. I can accept if I'm not the right fit for a company, or if another candidate is more qualified. This exchange however, didn't even allow me to prove anything over the phone. I'm curious to know how many other great, viable candidates were lost in the process due to this one "gatekeeper" and her inability to conduct interviews professionally. Ideally this review is meant to reach someone at SP, and hopefully they can validate/change what I consider to be an inept ability to interact with potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• Standard templated phone interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Apr 2, 2015 – Sr. Recruiter

We are sorry to hear you were not happy with your experience. We value candidate feedback that helps us continually improve our recruiting process. I would like to discuss this with you further ... More

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Interview

Their interview process is very thorough. It begins with turning in your application, a quick skills test, then phone interviews, and on site interviews. There was even a project to show off your skills and how you think! Each position applied for has it's on project. It's not about getting it perfect, but showing that you know the basics, can describe your thought process, and have new ideas!

Interview Questions

• One of the most common questions was how I would handle having multiple projects with conflicting or simultaneous deadlines.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied 2/12 with the recommendation of a friend working at SP. Phone interview 2/14 with recruiter. Asked to take eSkill test 2/13, which was straight out of the SATs and I took that day. Asked to take a TalentDNA BestWork Assessment 2/18, which I took and aced that day. Phone screening 3/12 with the hiring manager. E-mailed 3/16 that they were moving forward with other candidates. Of course I asked why I was not chosen to advance and they have a policy not to disclose hiring practices. Found out after all that, from my friend working there that they had gone through this process with 12 people and ended up hiring the temp. After the 5+ hours I had invested, along with receiving positive feedback along the interview/testing process, I deserved the opportunity for an in-person interview.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Interview

Initial email communication. Immediate feedback. Company very willing to work with my schedule for interviews. Panel interview was medium in intensity. Company was willing to pay for any interview expense such as travel, etc.

Interview Questions

• Was requested to map out a workflow given a business case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was straightforward and limited to one exchange.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners in November 2014.

Interview

A basic phone interview was firstly provided, including behavior questions, like the past projects, any situation when I did not get along well with team members, how did I solve the problem. The next step is a off-line coding assignments including 4 questions (find the nth prime number, find sequence of set in another set, other two were easy).

Interview Questions

• Any situation when I did not get along well with team members   Answer Question

Senior CRM PM Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners in October 2014.

Interview

I'll echo everyone else's comments here about the interview process. I found everyone I met with to be friendly, interesting and generally curious during the interview phases, including the 5+ hour gauntlet on the final day. I have to say, receiving the Dear John email with no offer was rather shocking and quite honestly unprofessional. Not to mention, the reason they cited for not moving forward with an offer was something that was discussed numerous times during the phone interview process. Overall, it was frustrating to witness their professionalism evaporate so quickly after the final interview.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

Interview

I met them at a college campus career fair. I was contacted the next day with an online test that was fairly easy presuming you know Java / Javascript and C#. After that I was granted a phone interview that was non-technical and very informative. It mostly involved me asking them questions about the process and they gave a nice overview of the job requirements and expectations. They then sent me a programming assignment that would be reviewed by a developer. After this point, I had received another offer and decided to decline further interviews with Sonoma. However, I had inquired as to their process and will attempt to describe it to the best of my understanding. After the programming assignment, if they were satisfied with my work I would have a phone interview with a developer. If that went well then I would have been invited to Chicago to have an extensive on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• The programming assignment, while not difficult, was a fairly large undertaking just to receive an interview. It wasn't unreasonable or ridiculous, but it was a decent amount of work.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

Interview

You can find every step of the interview process in the previous posts. Their interview questions haven't been changed since 2011 I guess. Over all it seems pretty good, as they have great office and nice staff, but basically you won't get the offer if you need H1B sponsor or something like that.

Interview Questions

Sonoma Partners Response

Sep 22, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking time to interview with our team. We in fact do provide sponsorship for development positions and have employees for whom we’re providing visa sponsorship currently. Our ... More

Senior Developer Interview

Interview

Be warned that the reviews below saying is exactly what you're going through. Basically, phone interview, online skills test, week assignment and then you get email that they are going with other candidates. Don't waste you time unless you have nothing to do other than their tests.

Interview Questions

Sonoma Partners Response

Aug 1, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. We apologize you felt you did not receive a sufficient amount of feedback as to why we did not move forward with the interview process. Unfortunately your code did not ... More

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The first thing I had to do for Sonoma was a short test (I think it was around 10 questions) with basic technical questions. After that there was a phone interview with one of the development managers which included writing some code in an online notepad type thing. After this I was sent a code test to complete on my own time within a few days. The code test was a visual studio solution with 4-5 projects that each needed to be finished for an exercise in the test. After emailing my completed test back to them I was invited for an in-person interview. The interview consisted of a wonderlic test and a whiteboard session with 2 developers where I had to explain how I would structure code for a board game. I then had lunch with 2 managers and 1 vp of development that felt pretty casual. I then interviewed with the three of them individually where they asked me about my background. They were very open to me also asking them questions about their development process and the company. It did not feel very formal at all and I thought I had a good discussion with each of them. I was very impressed with the people I spoke to while I was there and felt that there were people I could see myself learning from if I worked there. Sonoma's process overall was much more involved than other companies I had interviewed with which gave me the impression that they have a higher standard for the people they hire - now that I work here, this definitely seems to be true.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was coding/diagramming a program on a whiteboard in front of 2 developers.   Answer Question