Sonos

Very Easy Interview

Accounts Payable Supervisor Interview

Accounts Payable Supervisor
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Sonos in May 2014.

Interview Details – 5/1/14: Initial Phone Interview (.5 hours)
5/6/14: 1st Interview @ SB Office (2.5 hours)
5/13/14: 2nd Interview @ SB Office (2 hours)
5/22/14: Invitation for 3rd interview
5/29/14: Confirmation of 3rd interview
6/3/14: 3rd Interview @ SB Office (2.5 hours). At the end of interview. HR said "We will have a definite answer no later than this afternoon at 2 pm". No call received.
6/5/14: Invited four 4th interview, third with this particular individual.
6/9/14: 4th Interview @ a local coffee shop (1.5 hours). "Will call you soon with an answer"

No call/email received after that.

Cost (in terms of hourly pay for position)
Hours spent in interviews 9 x 21.5 = 193.50
Hours spent driving to office 8 x 21.5 = 172.00
Traveling costs (360 miles/$4.19 gal) 84.00

Cost (in $) to interview: $449.50
Cost in hours: 17

And not even an email/phone call to tell me "it took us four interviews repeating the same questions time and time again, asked by the same individuals, to realize you are not a good fit".

Note: the average salary for an AP Supervisor in the area is $60k - Sonos offered $45K.

Software Test Engineering Interview

Software Test Engineering
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sonos.

Interview Details – The first one was a phone screen by one of the managers to assess if I would be a good fit in the company, they contacted in a few days asking to me come for an onsite interview. 3 rounds were conducted onsite. First one was theoretical, with questions on TCP, UDP and general testing questions. I was asked to design a test plan for a wireless mouse and a key board. The next round was a white board round, where I was asked to solve a few algorithmic based questions and a few questions on python. The last one was a coding based round, where I was asked to code the solutions to 3 questions that were given to me in python.

Interview Question – Coding the solution to 3 questions in 45 mins was definitely the hardest part. But the interviewer helps and makes sure you dont get too tensed by talking to you through out the process.   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Customer Support
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sonos in May 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by in-person interview. Questions were pretty standard, but just be sure to prepare for it. I met the HR director through a career fair and although my resume didn't particularly stand out, I believe my personality did. They seemed to look for people who would fit well with the company.

Interview Question – Will ask the basic interview questions (tell me more about yourself, what is your past job like, etc.) Will test you with technical questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

RF Engineer/My 0 02 Cents About Sonos March 2014 Interview

RF Engineer/My 0 02 Cents About Sonos March 2014
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sonos in March 2014.

Interview Details – The first two interviews were over the video call and went well. Just over your resume/background.

Know all RF Circuits and background. Individually study every component of an electronic speaker and its mathematical functionalities and parameters.

Tier II Customer Support Interview

Tier II Customer Support

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sonos in May 2014.

Interview Details – May 5, 2014 Email & Phone Call from Furheen Mohamed
May 7, 2014 (morning) Phone Interview with Furheen Mohamed
May 7, 2014 (afternoon) Email from Kara Hochner to set up tech screen
May 11, 2014 (morning) Tech Screen with Tier 1 Customer Support Analyst Jeff Swarens
May 11, 2014 (afternoon) Email from Furheen Mohamed advising me that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

Senior Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sonos in February 2014.

Interview Details – I originally submitted an application online and receive a phone call from the talent acquisition personnel 6 days later. After a brief discussion about what I knew of the company, my working experiences, and the reason I was interested in working for Sonos an interview was scheduled for me to meet 4 people individually from the Finance team 2 days later. The interview was great and laid back I ended actually meeting with 6 people from the Finance team including the VP of Finance. After the interview I contact by phone by the original talent acquisition personnel and notified that they decided to go with another candidate who was similar to me in work experience, but had experience using there Concur financial system. I was informed that should another Finance position open that matched my work experience they would be in contact with me.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you had to collaborate with another department, what was your role, and what was the project.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sonos in September 2013.

Interview Details – Great case study, wonderful people

Interview Question – None, you should be prepared   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy

Brand Experience Innovation Interview

Brand Experience Innovation
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sonos in February 2014.

Interview Details – The initial steps of this conversation went well. HR asked more detailed questions than I normally get, which was a nice surprise. This position was for a role within their "Studio" in Los Angeles. The next interview involved the hiring manager where I reviewed a portfolio of my work around design, product, business, technology and various outputs. That discussion went well and the work was well received. I was then invited down for a loop in the Santa Barbara office, but at the last minute was change to the LA office to just an in -person with the hiring manager. When asked about the change, it's that certain individuals didn't feel the role was senior enough for them to be involved. This was an immediate red flag. I was told that the CEO was bought into the innovation practice at Sonos, yet those that worked there had no interest in being involved in the hiring of that team. This means that "innovation" hasn't been made a priority. If it was that directive would have been heard by all and would understand the importance of the development and hiring of the new "innovation team". So Flag one was other senior team members uninterested in being part of the interview loop for a supposed high priority team.

So I flew down and we spent the afternoon reviewing some additional work, having some other discussions and all was fine. We toured the studio and I was told of how it was going to be built out. Having been involved in the development of other innovation studious I gave the person there some feedback on what worked and what didn't. One was about having war rooms so people could have space to work on projects and another was to consider how loud things would get. This was dismissed. It's annoying to see people that have zero experience in a build out of a creative space dismiss feedback around what worked and what didn't at other studious. This was another red flag.

As the discussion continued I was informed that this hiring manager was tasked with building out more of this innovation team. I informed him that I had some experience doing that at two other places and could help, again, no interest in learning how that was done or curiosity of what worked and what didn't.

As we were closing the discussion I asked if there was anything that may be of a concern with me doing this role. The response was that I absolutely think you have the ability, but the big unknown is how you'd fit into the culture of Sonos. Well, that wasn't a good sign in my eyes. Anyone that's doing product innovation doesn't want to fit into a culture, they are there to help transform a culture, a change agent. So, yes we need to be mindful of the current environment, but have hopes to change it. Innovators are people that have entrepreneurial spirits, etc,typically don't fit into companies but help push them out of their comfort zones so they don't get sucked into the status quo.

There was a good article about this on LinkedIn called "You Can't Handle the Creative". It discusses how if certain people make you feel uncomfortable or you may think they may not fit in, then that's probably a good thing. Everyone shouldn't have to "fit in". Diversity wears many hats.

When I heard that I really felt like his mind was made up. At the end of the interview I was told to send any questions along that I may have after. I did so and of course never got a response. Unprofessional in my eyes. If you are going to extend the offer then fulfill your side of the bargain. From his point of view he probably thought this person, me, wasn't a hire so why write back. There are ways to handle that, but just ignoring someone isn't a courteous approach.

Some final thoughts around this experience. I was told that Sonos is around 600-700 people org. This size of org for their limited product line is concerning and seems bloated to me. There are companies of less than 10 putting out speakers, new concepts like Beep, etc. So I'd be cautious of too many people for to little amount of product.

All-in-all the experience wasn't horrible, but it also wasn't full of positivity. I think some of the other interview reviews and employee feedback helped add some color to the situation there.

PCB Designer Interview

PCB Designer
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sonos in February 2014.

Interview Details – Sonos is very thorough when they interview someone. That said, the process was handled with more efficiency and respect than any place I've ever worked. I was contacted within a couple of weeks of applying, and they brought me to their location for several back-to-back meetings. The meetings included in person, telephone, and video conference with other Sonos sites. They truly want to ensure their candidates are a good fit for the position and the culture.

Interview Question – I was asked by a video conference interviewer to draw an RF circuit schematic, then describe how I would lay it out on the PCB.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sonos in May 2013.

Interview Details – It took about a month for them to contact me after I applied. Once they did, things moved fairly quickly. Communicated via email/phone with Intern Hiring Manager and was set up for two phone interviews with department managers.

Interview Question – During on-boarding, I was asked what my first concert was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate starting pay, hours and length of internship.

Worked for Sonos? Contribute to the Community!