Sony Electronics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.8

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Just asked typical hiring questions. Overall it wasnt too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult situation at your old job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Web Content Administrator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics.

4 step interviewing process. Hiring manager Interview one, Hiring Manger Interview Two, HR Interview, HR payment agreement

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics.

In a hotel room and very direct questions and answers

Interview Questions
    • All questions were high in value with no trick stupid questions asked.   Answer Question

Premium Service Expert Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Sony Electronics in February 2013.

5 interviews, two over the phone three in person

Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics.

I applied for a trainer position with Sony located about 350 miles from my current home location. My first interview was over the phone with a recruiter who asked about 4 or 5 scripted questions concerning my background and qualifications. I was informed that I should hear back within the next week. I received a callback from the recruiter asking if I would be interested in traveling out of town to do a series of interviews; I agreed and set up a time the following weekend.

The interviews were held at a hotel and after checking in at the reception area I was directed to wait in lobby until called. The first interview that day was with an HR manager and it was most of the standard behavioral questions and a situational questions which lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked to return to the lobby and wait for a short time and I would have another interview.

After about another 20 minutes, I was called in for an interview with the Training Manager. She explained more about the position and specifics about what was expected in the trainer role. The questions started out identifying specific skills and experience and the remainder were situational questions. The last request was to perform an "adhoc" training presentation on any subject of my choosing; I assume this request was made to see how I would respond under a pressure type situation. After about 3-5 minutes into my presentation, she asked me to do a wrap up; the entire interview lasted approximately an hour. I was asked if I could wait around for one final interview; which I agreed to wait. The last interview was with someone who identified themselves as a business consultant and proceeded to ask me a few questions and only spent about 10 minutes with me. I was told to expect a call within 3-5 days.

I headed back home and although the first two interviews went extremely well, the last interview was rather rushed and the person seemed disinterested in speaking with me. I did not know what my chances were at that point of getting the job. However, I did receive a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult situation was being asked to perform an "adhoc" training presentation without any prior notification.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate salary and relocation benefits.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics.

Applied online for a different position. Screening phone call by HR recruiter, one in person interview, job offer quickly followed and started within weeks. In person interview was maybe an hour and the questions were exactly what you can expect in any interview. I did research Sony, their competitors, and their direct business just to be prepared & it was helpful to draw on what I had found out.

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sony Electronics in August 2013.

I was surprised by how quickly they responded to my application. I'm used to tossing apps into the ether, never even knowing if a company looked at it. Sony got back to me in about three days. I had an interview with the Store Manager, which was short but more probing and personal than usual. That's a good thing, he wanted to get to know me as a person AND professional instead of the usual cookie-cutter questions. He wanted to move forward with his Assistant, so he asked if I could come back in a few hours when he came in. Of course I could! That interview went well, about the same length. They had a good cop/bad cop vibe, but that's how their personalities were, no big deal.The Store Manager then called me later and asked if I was available to speak with the Area Manager in two days. Wow... they don't mess around! After the interview with the Area Manger, which was more of a classic process, she offered me a position on the spot. Very impressed with this process. I understand that now they also use a personality test from a well-respected company to better discern how candidates will fit into the environment.

Interview Questions
    • The process itself was unexpected! Hopefully it's like that for everyone, I enjoyed the shortness but more depth of it all.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics.

I was first selected for a phone screen with HR. Then I was called in for a face-to-face interview with a panel of managers. The managers all asked great questions and the dialog was very open and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How did you feel about being laid off from your last job after working there for so long?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics in April 2010.

you will have 3 interviews as typical
    (1) the store manager will call you to do an initial phone interview and then bring you in to the store to do an onsite if they like your initial answers and resume
    --questions are very basic and follow a HR script
    (1) Best / Worst attribute
    (2)describe tough quest experience and how you handle / resolved it
    (3)worst customer experience and how did you resolve
    (4)how did you win over a customer
    (5)describe the selling process
    (6)how do you motivate / run a team
    --must be flexible to work 6am - 12am on any given day (projects / holidays)

they do not let you take more than 7 consective days off w/o Regional HR approval

bonus program is horrible, and they will tell you how to accelerate it and not be honest about the actual payouts

conditions: you will be interviewed at the store (mall locations) , it will be noisy and they will have to still stay by the store for customer issues, so be prepared to stop and start, they have no real office space in the stores to accommodate private areas

if you pass this you will talk to the Regional Mgr via phone (and if they have another candiate you will have a onsite with the Regional and conf call with HR) - HR has basic input and is more background screening than skill

finally they do crime screen and drug screen BEFORE making offer.. and typically this is a 3 - 4 week process from 1st call to offer letter

you do have to sign contracts (non disclosure, non comp, IP rights at time of hire disclosure)

you do not get to truly "bargain"
    they will take a counter but tell you that all offers are final and its a take or decline offer

Sales Promotion Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Electronics in May 2013.

Very casual and welcoming experience. Great communication with HR through phone and emails. Very responsive. Nice regrets form letter but would have liked to know why they choose another candidate or feedback on interview but that's usually not given.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, felt very comfortable with overall questions and answers.   Answer Question