Sony Electronics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics.

I applied for a trainer position with Sony located about 350 miles from my current home location. My first interview was over the phone with a recruiter who asked about 4 or 5 scripted questions concerning my background and qualifications. I was informed that I should hear back within the next week. I received a callback from the recruiter asking if I would be interested in traveling out of town to do a series of interviews; I agreed and set up a time the following weekend.

The interviews were held at a hotel and after checking in at the reception area I was directed to wait in lobby until called. The first interview that day was with an HR manager and it was most of the standard behavioral questions and a situational questions which lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked to return to the lobby and wait for a short time and I would have another interview.

After about another 20 minutes, I was called in for an interview with the Training Manager. She explained more about the position and specifics about what was expected in the trainer role. The questions started out identifying specific skills and experience and the remainder were situational questions. The last request was to perform an "adhoc" training presentation on any subject of my choosing; I assume this request was made to see how I would respond under a pressure type situation. After about 3-5 minutes into my presentation, she asked me to do a wrap up; the entire interview lasted approximately an hour. I was asked if I could wait around for one final interview; which I agreed to wait. The last interview was with someone who identified themselves as a business consultant and proceeded to ask me a few questions and only spent about 10 minutes with me. I was told to expect a call within 3-5 days.

I headed back home and although the first two interviews went extremely well, the last interview was rather rushed and the person seemed disinterested in speaking with me. I did not know what my chances were at that point of getting the job. However, I did receive a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult situation was being asked to perform an "adhoc" training presentation without any prior notification.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate salary and relocation benefits.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics.

Applied online for a different position. Screening phone call by HR recruiter, one in person interview, job offer quickly followed and started within weeks. In person interview was maybe an hour and the questions were exactly what you can expect in any interview. I did research Sony, their competitors, and their direct business just to be prepared & it was helpful to draw on what I had found out.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics.

I was first selected for a phone screen with HR. Then I was called in for a face-to-face interview with a panel of managers. The managers all asked great questions and the dialog was very open and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How did you feel about being laid off from your last job after working there for so long?   View Answer

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a week after submitting my application online. The recruiter did a quick interview asking about my qualifications and salary expectations followed by scheduling a 30 min. phone interview with the hiring manager for the following week. The phone interview lasted 30 min. as scheduled. The interview itself was pretty straight forward with questions like tell me about your work and how it relates to the job position and what software programs related to the job do you know how to use.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult or unexpected questions, pretty straight forward and conversational interview   Answer Question

Sales Lead Interview

Sit down interview, then phone interview with DM.

Interview Questions
    1 week later I was given an offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Electronics in November 2013.

Interview was very fast, I got hired on the spot.

Senior Buyer Interview

Very pleasant interview with hiring manager and a senior employee.

Interview Questions
    • What is the live expectancy of an injection mold?   View Answer
    simple.
    Was desperate for a job so accepted a pay cut from previous job.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sony Electronics.

General questions. Nothing too difficult. Kind of haphazard actually.

They offered 5,000 less than my previous position and they said it was non-negotiable.
    Make sure to add 5K to your previous salary or the salary you want. Also the hiring managers don't often know what you are making. The HR department seems to negotiate all cost independently and unscientifically.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Electronics.

Initial phone interview for contract position. Questions were mostly technical, not too difficult. After initial contract position was offered a permanent position.
    Impressions of work culture: Work is remote controlled from Tokyo, little to no autonomy for the US operation, so decisions take a long time to be made. Sometimes there is not enough transparency as to who is in control, and who is the real decision maker. Work efficiency sometimes suffers due to too many people involved in decision making, and the afore-mentioned lack of transparency of decision making.
           Staying back in office for late night video/telephone conference meetings with overseas teams, especially in Tokyo had been the norm rather than the exception, due to the time zone difference. However this is not for everyone concerned, only if one happened to be in a position within the project where liaison with Tokyo is necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Telephone interview question for SW engineer position:
      What is the Unix/Linux system call that forms the basis of Linux pthread library functions?
        Answer Question

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sony Electronics in August 2013.

I was surprised by how quickly they responded to my application. I'm used to tossing apps into the ether, never even knowing if a company looked at it. Sony got back to me in about three days. I had an interview with the Store Manager, which was short but more probing and personal than usual. That's a good thing, he wanted to get to know me as a person AND professional instead of the usual cookie-cutter questions. He wanted to move forward with his Assistant, so he asked if I could come back in a few hours when he came in. Of course I could! That interview went well, about the same length. They had a good cop/bad cop vibe, but that's how their personalities were, no big deal.The Store Manager then called me later and asked if I was available to speak with the Area Manager in two days. Wow... they don't mess around! After the interview with the Area Manger, which was more of a classic process, she offered me a position on the spot. Very impressed with this process. I understand that now they also use a personality test from a well-respected company to better discern how candidates will fit into the environment.

Interview Questions
    • The process itself was unexpected! Hopefully it's like that for everyone, I enjoyed the shortness but more depth of it all.   Answer Question