Sony Electronics

Updated Oct 30, 2014

2.8

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics in March 2011.

It was an hour interview. I did this through on-campus recruiting. Everything is pretty standard. The managers of the store interviewed me, all were very nice. Received a call about one to two weeks later offering me the position. Sony does not expect their sales associates to know much about the products, mostly, they care about the personality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to do a "mock sale" to one of the managers. I was to sell him a TV, and pretend he is a customer that just walked into the store.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics in November 2010.

Initial phone screen interview from HR in corporate offices then a face to face with manager at the store. Took some time for face to face to happen due to some miscommunication at with corporate. After drug screen and background checks, fairly fast in green-lighting training. Interview was basic resume run-down followed by STAR questions and behavioral questions. If you make a claim, show the proper support with results.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you disagreed with your manager on an issue and how you went about resolving the disagreement.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics in October 2010.

It was friendly and laid back!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you deserve this job over other candidates?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sony Electronics in October 2010.

Interview process consists of phone interview from recruiter and then from manager.
    After the phone interview is through, was invited for the one on one interview with the team .
    This interview lasted for a day.Also have to meet with VP and SVP of engineering as a part of interview process step by step though.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Electronics in October 2010.

I was hired with three interviews - phone pre-screen was the first interview with HR. Second interview was with the hiring manager, and third interview was with the product manager for the team I was to support.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manage a cross-category product launch, from start to finish? The obvious take-away from this question is the hiring manager wanted to see if I knew my stuff. The secondary reason was to see how I thought, spoke and was able to communicate in a succinct manner.   Answer Question
    Pretty easy negotiations. I asked for a little more money, and because this interview process was for a more entry-level position a few years ago, Sony was agreeable to the slight increase. As for today, HR is always ready to listen to negotiations and go back to the hiring manager to ensure the increase fits within the budget and long-range salary planning.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Electronics in August 2010.

The hr manager called me after 2 weeks I submitted my resume. He took my present job details, status and present and expecting salary. After 1 week I got an email that they can not sponser me visa at this time. So declined.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sony Electronics in July 2010.

There was a single phone call in the beginning and that led to an on-site interview for which I knew very little. However, I have a strong engineering background and thus I was able to easily answer the engineering questions.
    White board session to design a web site from the bottom up
    A series of coding questions
    A few questions about web design

Interview Questions
    They were offering such and such and I asked the recruiter for a few extra bucks per hour. Once I had the job, the negotiation was completely with the recruiter.

Account Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Electronics in June 2010.

Short interview.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sony Electronics in June 2010.

Sony kept saying they needed to fill this position asap but then they were very slow to schedule and arrange for the interviews. Overall it was a 2 month process for me - there were big gaps between phases of the interview process.

The intial interview was over the phone with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager and then 2 panel interviews with various managers and the VP.

If you know your stuff the interviews are easy but I'd consider them average in terms of the type of information they want, eg. provide specific examples of when you did this, etc.

I was not very impressed with their HR person - seemed very old school and didn't add much to the process other than why do you want to work at Sony, why do you want this position and repeated many questions in the intial phone screen. Aside from HR the others that I spoke with were quite knowledgeable, asked good questions and seemed interested in my experience and what I could bring. They shared a lot of insight into the role and what issues they were having.

They all do seem overworked and under stress; they did indicate that I would also need to work Saturdays and Sundays when required. This was a real turnoff for me, although I put in extra time wherever I work and do whatever it takes to get the job done I don't want a mandate like this.

I ended up taking another job before they extended a job offer so I don't know how much longer the fifnal selection process took.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Electronics in April 2010.

It was good.. but kinda boring.. had to travel so long only to do a profile match.. job okay.. salary okay..