Sony Music Entertainment

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.4

Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment.

Pretty straight forward two interviews, both phone interviews. Had two phone interviews one a priliminary and the other an acutal interview. Found out I recieved an offer about a month later.

Straight forward.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment.

Applied online and received a phone interview a few months later. The interview was around 10-15 minutes. Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions such as, "Why are you interested in us?" and "How can your degree help you with the position that you are applying for?"

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in September 2014.

I applied for the position on August 1st and when I didn't hear anything back, I decided to move on. Then on September 22nd, I got a call from USA Film Festival asking me to come in for an interview. I was leaving for a trip on the 25th, so I asked if I could come in before then and they said that I could come in on the 23rd. Perfect. I was really excited about this job.

Then I went for the interview... it was not good.

I was asked very inappropriate questions (my family planning e.g.), and when I was asked a question, the interviewer responded for me (I only answered about half the questions they asked). At the end of the interview I was offered the position even though the interviewer told me I was the first and only interview they had done. They didn't perform any background checks or call references or anything. They even told me that they wanted me to NOT give a 2-week notice at my current job; they wanted me to simply quit and start working for them right away. No thanks, I don't like to burn professional bridges.

Interview Questions
    • When were you married? Are you going to have kids soon? Because this job isn't good for people with kids.   View Answer

It felt like a very unprofessional environment.

Fall 2014 'Stache Lifestyle Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in August 2014.

The hiring process with pretty good. Applied directly online and within three months received a phone interview. Then one week later received an offer email. I officially start this September!

MBA Interview

First interview is with HR. They do a good job of learning more about your previous work experience and how relevant it is to the current position. Do expect to show some knowledge of current trends in music, your favorite album, pop star, movie, etc. Was a great starting point to learn more about the position and the company.
    Next interview is with your direct supervisor, and you can expect to get into more details and showcase your expertise in the area through a case study or relevant questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was on how I stay updated on trends in music business, and then go into details on which ones are ideal to learn about specific technical, business, content and other aspects.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I was first notified by the HR department and met with a representative from there. At that meeting I was told I would be informed either way if I was chosen to continue or not. Like many I was left with nothing and never heard from the HR contact despite my professional follow up emails.

Interview Questions
    • If you were stuck on a island for the rest of your life and could only take one artist's catalog who's would it be and why?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in July 2014.

This was a pretty interesting process, but fairly routine. The HR guy explained to me that the company was doing things a little bit differently this time around. I first completed a paper application, then was contacted to fill out a questionnaire with my work availability and other details just a little over a month later. A few weeks after that, I unexpectedly received a phone call and had about a 15 minute interview with HR. The final step was a 1 on 1 interview with a member of the department they recommended me for.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much standard interview questions. I did have to think for a second on how I wanted to best answer the question "What was your favorite class and why?" simply because I imagine an HR specialist could determine a lot about a candidate from the response to this one.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in May 2014.

I was contacted via phone by a recruiter about a week after applying online. The recruiter asked a few basic questions before scheduling me for a interview the next day. (Personally, I find it a bit rude to schedule an interview less than 24 hours in advance.) The address for the job was in a completely different part of town than what was listed on the job description. (This is LA, so it easily takes 30-45 minutes to get from one part of town to another.) The instructions for parking were vague; an assistant from the office called the morning of the interview to give me more detailed directions. (It was moot, as when I arrived there was no parking available in the lot and I parked on the street.) I arrived 15 minutes early. The interview began on time but lasted less than 10 minutes. Literally - the interview started on the hour and by 12 minutes past I was in my car driving home. I was no longer interested in the position and assumed the employer wasn't interested in me either. Two weeks later I received a phone call from the recruiter that went to voicemail. I returned the call with another voicemail but never received a call back.

College Marketing Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment.

Submitted my job application, got a phone call a few weeks later. The interview process was 2 phone interviews that included 3 of my future employees and myself. They asked about the type of music I like, the blogs I read, and where I buy my music. They just want to be ensured that they hire someone who is enthusiastic about Sony releases and will be a good brand advocate.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in April 2014.

Had a brief phone call was asked what my favorite sony artists were and why I wanted to work for Sony. After that I had a call back interview which was more in-depth and spoke about my previous work background as well as my interest in the music industry.

Interview Questions
    • What do you find most interesting about the music industry?   Answer Question