Sony Online Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.5

3D Artist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in September 2014.

Interview

Basically they called me in for an interview and went over the basics like how are my 3D skills, strongest and weakest skill. Areas of the pipeline I enjoy most and just basic things about myself.

Interview Questions

• Probably if there is any part of the pipeline I would like to just do away with what would it be?   1 Answer

Web Artist II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment.

Interview

Met with HR and then met with a web design manager

Interview Questions

• not really a difficult interview, but I did have a portfolio to offer, so that was probably the most important selling point.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given what I asked for.

3D Artist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The hiring was a bit long. One week for scheduling the interview. The interview itself was great. Everyone was on time. People were really nice and friendly. Great questions and very professional. It lasted around 4 hours meeting with different people from the Art team. Showed my around campus and overall had a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• the most difficult question was to talk about a time when there were conflicts with another employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

An initial phone screen followed by an on-site interview. The on-site consisted of two face to face interviews and a skills test.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview takes place in a conference room with all the applicants present. While one person is interviewing the rest filled out worksheets covering basic grammar, spelling, and computers questions. The interviewer was not a direct employee of SOE but a recruiter from a temp agency. If you do well on the interview with her you get referred to SOE.

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I knew a friend who worked there who basically got me the job. It was a done deal. Interview was rather unnecessary; Just a formality.

Interview Questions

• It almost seemed like they were asking me if I would be able to work here based on how poor the quality tools and games are. It was more-less exposing the flaws of the company as to not hire someone who they knew would quit after a month of finding it out for themselves.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation. I was given my first offer.

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The first phase consists of a programming test which contains a list of C++ questions. Everything here is completely stock... some basic C++ trivia. They also have you submit a programming sample.

The next phase was a technical phone interview which is where some major red flags went up. I was supposed to speak with a few members of the team (a producer and 2 technical leads), but they called a half hour later than the time specified, and it was only 1 person.

The interviewer was very impersonal, never introduced himself or even told me his name, and almost immediately launched into the same stock C++ trivia questions that were on the written test. To say that this person was disinterested in his job and the whole interview process would be an understatement.

I tried to answer every question as thoroughly as possible, but I was interrupted many times with things like "okay that's enough information". The whole tone and attitude of the interviewer was the worst part of it. As soon as I was on the right track with an answer, he would interrupt me and hurriedly move onto the next question, like he couldn't wait for the process to be over. And when I did give incomplete or incorrect information about something, he actually sounded happy about tripping me up with something.

The worst was some flat-out incorrect information about something he claimed would not compile, which I later tested and found to compile fine in MSVC, and only throws a warning in GCC (but then executes correctly). These petty language semantics would be fine if they were followed by more interesting architecture and project scope questions, but that was all they seemed to be interested in.

I could go into more specifics, but I will leave it at that. I decided not to proceed to the next phase of the interview after learning that this caliber of person was actually in a technical lead position. I definitely would not be interested in working on his team under his supervision or direction.

Game Designer Interview

Application

Interview

The people were all very cordial and nice. The interview process was a little regimented and programmed. I felt like they were not open to real creativity and were more interested in filling an empty seat. While that may fit with what they are trying to achieve it did not suit my professional goals.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest weaknesses?   1 Answer

Not a good fit

Web Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I had a great interview. I met a couple really cool people who knew what they were talking about and made me excited to work with them. They were very laid back and excited to work with me after I met them, as well.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with web design?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment (San Diego, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Most of the CSR are contingent staff, which is handled by Wired Talent which is a temp agency. The position is full time, and they go on to tell you that there is the possibility of getting hired on but that is highly unlikely unless you are also going to school for something else in the game field like 3D design, programming etc.

Interview Questions

• Covered most of the basic question about your employment, asked about your customer service background as well as your video game background.   Answer Question