Sony Online Entertainment

Relevance Date Difficulty

Game Designer Interview

Game Designer
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2012.

Interview Details – I knew a friend who worked there who basically got me the job. It was a done deal. Interview was rather unnecessary; Just a formality.

Interview Question – It almost seemed like they were asking me if I would be able to work here based on how poor the quality tools and games are. It was more-less exposing the flaws of the company as to not hire someone who they knew would quit after a month of finding it out for themselves.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much negotiation. I was given my first offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in May 2013.

Interview Details – An initial phone screen followed by an on-site interview. The on-site consisted of two face to face interviews and a skills test.

Interview Question – Nothing stood out as being particularly difficult.   Answer Question

3D Artist I Interview

3D Artist I
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in July 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted an application through their website and included my portfolio. I received an art test a few days later which I completed and returned. I then had a phone interview, went through a background check from their HR department, then met in person with upper management. After a long interview I met with other members of the team, viewed their facility on a tour and sat through a long presentation based around acceptable practices, working conditions, and the benefits package.

Interview Question – What would be your reaction if you were put on a team with a radically different art style than your own?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They simply asked me how much I would like to make. I gave them a number and they agreed.

Concept/Texture Artist Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in July 2008.

Interview Details – For me, it was a case of 'who you know,' since I had an artist friend who worked there as an art director and asked me to interview.

Negotiation Details – I asked for a figure and they said yes, very easy.

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview takes place in a conference room with all the applicants present. While one person is interviewing the rest filled out worksheets covering basic grammar, spelling, and computers questions. The interviewer was not a direct employee of SOE but a recruiter from a temp agency. If you do well on the interview with her you get referred to SOE.

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2010.

Interview Details – First, you'll do a few tests with the staffing agency, checking your grammar and math skills. After that, a scheduled group interview with SOE. Usually a handful of supervisors will interview you, and they represent all the titles created by SOE. You are not allowed contact with SOE by yourself, and all communication is initially done through the staffing agency.

The interview takes place in a conference room, you and up to 3 supervisors. You are asked multiple questions about your familiarity with MMORPGs in general (having experience in MMOs other than mainstream titles is a definite plus). Dress in business-casual wear for this interview. Although the supervisors will be in casual dress, you should be professional.

The supervisors conducting the interview will often be in good humor, and generally "jokey".

After the group interview, you won't hear from SOE again. You cannot contact SOE for any reason. If you're accepted for a position, you will be notified by your staffing agency representative. They will give you a starting date, and an on-site contact to meet with.

Interview Questions

• Could you please explain some of the bugs you've found in other titles.   View Answer
  • Which MMORPG titles have you had experience playing?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't any negotiation available. Staffing for the QA tester position is set at a flat-rate for hourly pay.

Software Engineer II Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in September 2011.

Interview Details – The first phase consists of a programming test which contains a list of C++ questions. Everything here is completely stock... some basic C++ trivia. They also have you submit a programming sample.

The next phase was a technical phone interview which is where some major red flags went up. I was supposed to speak with a few members of the team (a producer and 2 technical leads), but they called a half hour later than the time specified, and it was only 1 person.

The interviewer was very impersonal, never introduced himself or even told me his name, and almost immediately launched into the same stock C++ trivia questions that were on the written test. To say that this person was disinterested in his job and the whole interview process would be an understatement.

I tried to answer every question as thoroughly as possible, but I was interrupted many times with things like "okay that's enough information". The whole tone and attitude of the interviewer was the worst part of it. As soon as I was on the right track with an answer, he would interrupt me and hurriedly move onto the next question, like he couldn't wait for the process to be over. And when I did give incomplete or incorrect information about something, he actually sounded happy about tripping me up with something.

The worst was some flat-out incorrect information about something he claimed would not compile, which I later tested and found to compile fine in MSVC, and only throws a warning in GCC (but then executes correctly). These petty language semantics would be fine if they were followed by more interesting architecture and project scope questions, but that was all they seemed to be interested in.

I could go into more specifics, but I will leave it at that. I decided not to proceed to the next phase of the interview after learning that this caliber of person was actually in a technical lead position. I definitely would not be interested in working on his team under his supervision or direction.

Game Designer Interview

Game Designer
San Diego, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2011.

Interview Details – The people were all very cordial and nice. The interview process was a little regimented and programmed. I felt like they were not open to real creativity and were more interested in filling an empty seat. While that may fit with what they are trying to achieve it did not suit my professional goals.

Interview Question – What are your greatest weaknesses?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not a good fit

Trade Marketing Intern Interview

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call back three days after the application was sent, and had the first interview on the phone. They invited me to meet them face to face for a group interview the following week. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes while the group interview took twice as long.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly standard: why do you want to work here? what are your strengths/weaknesses? etc.   Answer Question

Developer Intern Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in June 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process took a total of three days and consisted of three rounds of interviews. One with HR, one with a senior software engineer, and lastly, one with the team that you were to work with. Interviews were roughly 45 minutes or less and were mostly about your background. The last interview with the team was more conceptual than anything.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sony Online Entertainment

Worked for Sony Online Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sony Online Entertainment interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sony Online Entertainment employees and interview candidates.