Sony Online Entertainment

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.5

3D Artist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in September 2014.

Basically they called me in for an interview and went over the basics like how are my 3D skills, strongest and weakest skill. Areas of the pipeline I enjoy most and just basic things about myself.

Interview Questions
    • Probably if there is any part of the pipeline I would like to just do away with what would it be?   View Answer

Web Artist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment.

Met with HR and then met with a web design manager

Interview Questions
    • not really a difficult interview, but I did have a portfolio to offer, so that was probably the most important selling point.   Answer Question
    I was given what I asked for.

3D Artist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in February 2014.

The hiring was a bit long. One week for scheduling the interview. The interview itself was great. Everyone was on time. People were really nice and friendly. Great questions and very professional. It lasted around 4 hours meeting with different people from the Art team. Showed my around campus and overall had a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • the most difficult question was to talk about a time when there were conflicts with another employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in May 2013.

An initial phone screen followed by an on-site interview. The on-site consisted of two face to face interviews and a skills test.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in March 2012.

The interview takes place in a conference room with all the applicants present. While one person is interviewing the rest filled out worksheets covering basic grammar, spelling, and computers questions. The interviewer was not a direct employee of SOE but a recruiter from a temp agency. If you do well on the interview with her you get referred to SOE.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2012.

I knew a friend who worked there who basically got me the job. It was a done deal. Interview was rather unnecessary; Just a formality.

Interview Questions
    • It almost seemed like they were asking me if I would be able to work here based on how poor the quality tools and games are. It was more-less exposing the flaws of the company as to not hire someone who they knew would quit after a month of finding it out for themselves.   Answer Question
    There was not much negotiation. I was given my first offer.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in September 2011.

The first phase consists of a programming test which contains a list of C++ questions. Everything here is completely stock... some basic C++ trivia. They also have you submit a programming sample.

The next phase was a technical phone interview which is where some major red flags went up. I was supposed to speak with a few members of the team (a producer and 2 technical leads), but they called a half hour later than the time specified, and it was only 1 person.

The interviewer was very impersonal, never introduced himself or even told me his name, and almost immediately launched into the same stock C++ trivia questions that were on the written test. To say that this person was disinterested in his job and the whole interview process would be an understatement.

I tried to answer every question as thoroughly as possible, but I was interrupted many times with things like "okay that's enough information". The whole tone and attitude of the interviewer was the worst part of it. As soon as I was on the right track with an answer, he would interrupt me and hurriedly move onto the next question, like he couldn't wait for the process to be over. And when I did give incomplete or incorrect information about something, he actually sounded happy about tripping me up with something.

The worst was some flat-out incorrect information about something he claimed would not compile, which I later tested and found to compile fine in MSVC, and only throws a warning in GCC (but then executes correctly). These petty language semantics would be fine if they were followed by more interesting architecture and project scope questions, but that was all they seemed to be interested in.

I could go into more specifics, but I will leave it at that. I decided not to proceed to the next phase of the interview after learning that this caliber of person was actually in a technical lead position. I definitely would not be interested in working on his team under his supervision or direction.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2011.

The people were all very cordial and nice. The interview process was a little regimented and programmed. I felt like they were not open to real creativity and were more interested in filling an empty seat. While that may fit with what they are trying to achieve it did not suit my professional goals.

Not a good fit

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in October 2010.

Interviewed with the team lead, who is now a Director, plus two team members. Each interview was 30 minutes long. After the interviews, there was a programming test. The test was quite comprehensive, and designed to not be finished in the hour allotted. Part of the thinking on this test is to see which candidates will page through the test and answer the easy questions first.

Two of the interviewers asked a number of questions about payment processing systems, which I had not had much experience with at the time. The technical questions mostly referred to design, though there were a handful of C++ coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Several interviewers asked questions about my gaming interests, which makes sense for SOE. I did play one SOE game for a while, but gaming hasn't really been my thing since college (on Apple ][, no less)   View Answer
    An offer was made, and it was clearly indicated no negotiation would be accepted.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony Online Entertainment in January 2010.

First, you'll do a few tests with the staffing agency, checking your grammar and math skills. After that, a scheduled group interview with SOE. Usually a handful of supervisors will interview you, and they represent all the titles created by SOE. You are not allowed contact with SOE by yourself, and all communication is initially done through the staffing agency.

The interview takes place in a conference room, you and up to 3 supervisors. You are asked multiple questions about your familiarity with MMORPGs in general (having experience in MMOs other than mainstream titles is a definite plus). Dress in business-casual wear for this interview. Although the supervisors will be in casual dress, you should be professional.

The supervisors conducting the interview will often be in good humor, and generally "jokey".

After the group interview, you won't hear from SOE again. You cannot contact SOE for any reason. If you're accepted for a position, you will be notified by your staffing agency representative. They will give you a starting date, and an on-site contact to meet with.

Interview Questions
    • Could you please explain some of the bugs you've found in other titles.   View Answer
    • Which MMORPG titles have you had experience playing?   View Answer
    There isn't any negotiation available. Staffing for the QA tester position is set at a flat-rate for hourly pay.