Sony PlayStation Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Interview

It was a very smooth one. First phone screen share interview with questions on basic data structure and JAVA. Enough time was given to solve the question. They will grill you on one question again and again so don't get worried. Be sure of what you speak and be confident.

User Experience Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process for this was really straightforward- a recruiter reached out to me, had a quick screen to tell me about the position, and to gauge if I was actually interested in Playstation, and from there put me through to the team. The interview with the team was super casual, and was more of an opportunity to learn about what the team does and ask me about what I'm interested in. I wasn't actually asked anything technical, despite it being a technical position.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about the stuff on my resume- just trying to get a feel for whether I'd be a good culture fit, I guess.   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

There were two round for the interview process. I had applied online through indeed.

The 1st round was Phone screening.
    The 2nd round was Onsite Interview with QA Lead and HR.

Interview Questions

• 1st round: About the company, Simple QA questions, Resume questions.
      2nd round: Projects, QA Automation and Manual questions. Scenario Questions.

Answer Question

Rendering Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

I got the phone screen interview 2 months later after I submitted my resume online. I was interviewed my 2 senior engineers. They just went through my resume and asked questions relevant to the stuff I have done. Like how multithreading works, explain different kinds of rendering techniques. No technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

For Sony Santa Monica studio.

Applied online and received an email with a rather large programming test to be completed in a week. The test covered a wide variety of C++ and Assembly questions. Surprisingly, they had quite a bit of depth to them. I submitted my work and was told they decided to move on 3 days later. I emailed back asking for feedback and kindly enough the gentleman responded with some notes. His tone seemed very firm and disappointed almost, I got quite a lot wrong. But, I was very greatful he responded as most interviewers don't bother giving feedback at all. I knew exactly what I had to address to improve. Very greatful for that.

Interview Questions

• Given this C++ code and the following dissasembly for the code after it is compiled, rewrite the C++ so that the dissasembly is better optimized.   1 Answer

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Good interview and great communication with the recruiter. Recruiter was friendly and had the perfect approach making the interview very smooth. Long process, about 9 interviews, phone, Skype and in person. Overall experience was good.

Interview Questions

• Were no unexpected question since the interview was based on the skills of the position in questions.   1 Answer

Product Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

campus visit- recruiter interview-- manager interview -- decision
    The interview is about what do you think you are good at? what is your idea towards a certain thing etc.
    One week after the 2 interview, the recruiter told me the result.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the ideas you come up with according to the project you are going to do in the summer   Answer Question

Digital Commerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview was easy and the hiring manager/interviewer decided to fly me up for an on-site interview. After arriving at San Mateo office , a recruiter directed me into a conference room and that was the last time I saw him. No introduction to the company or follow up after the interviews.

I interviewed with 6 people, 30 min each, but the hiring manager was away on vacation. I am not sure how a company can hire properly without meeting the candidates. It's also very disrespectful to the person who nixed their whole day to meet with you.

With the exception of 2 people (1 being a last minute replacement), the rest of the interviewers didn't look like they wanted to be there. None of them read my resume prior to the meeting though I can't fault the last minute replacement (who was also the most professional). The questions I received were not very thoughtful and seemed to focus more on my management style. They seemed mostly concerned with my willingness and tolerance for wailing through corporate bureaucracy.

The travel reimbursement process also took longer than expected due to delays caused by "recently switching over to a new payment system".

I was passed for the position, but was somewhat relieved based on the negative impression I received from the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Since it is impossible to get everything done, how would you prioritize your work and complete your tasks?   1 Answer

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied through the website. Got a call about a month later. Had a 30-60 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Questions were pretty straight forward. On-site interview was standard for the industry. 3-4 45 minutes sessions, each with 2-3 interviewers. Questions ranged from basics in C++ to a few "how do you think" questions. The tricky questions weren't terrible, and you could think it through given some time.

Interview Questions

• How would you reverse a linked list?   2 Answers

Negotiation

HR asked me to justify the salary I was asking for. I said that it was the average for a person with my experience, and was in line with what my peers with similar jobs and experience were receiving. They were receptive and agreed.

User Experience Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sony PlayStation in April 2014.

Interview

Interview/Hiring Process

I applied online with both a resume and cover letter. Playstation is interestingly slow at getting back after the initial resume drop, however, I think this is because they have an application period and wait until after that period of a few weeks/months is over before reviewing all the candidates. If you apply right when their internships get posted, don't be surprised if you hear back in a month. I was contacted in mid-April after applying in March.

After the resume drop, Playstation moves fast. I was contacted by a university recruiter from Playstation, and set up an interview that week. The first interview with the recruiter was less of an interview and more of an information session where they explained the program, requirements, and work activity. The recruiter did throw in a few questions to gauge interest, however, such as "why are you interested in Playstation?" and "do you have a passion for video games?"

The second and final interview was with the head of one of the UX teams. I had the initial recruiter-interview on a Friday, and the second interview occurred the following Monday. It was not a particularly grueling or stressful interview, and it included standard questions reviewing my resume and past experience as well as questions about my interest in Playstation and gaming. The first few minutes of the interview were informal, and we discussed some of my recent classes/school experience. The interviewer seemed genuinely interest in what I was doing at the time, and after the first few minutes of introductions and small talk we moved to more formal questions about the position (e.g. "What does UX research mean?", "Tell me about your experimental research experience").

As discussed previously, Playstation moves fast after the initial resume drop. I was contacted the next day by the same university recruiter from the first interview and I was offered the position.

General Tips:

If you're interested in Playstation, makes sure you're up-to-speed on their products and that you show a passion for gaming. Don't just say "I like videogames" or "I own a Playstation"; show them that games are a true passion and not just a leisure activity for you. Secondly, if you're applying for a UX research internship or UX research position in general, be sure to emphasize past experimental research experience. Playstation's UX team is very attuned to knowledge/experience with testing, experimentation, and lab work.

Interview Questions

• Something to the effect of: "We've discussed UX research, what are your thoughts on what it means to do UX research on games?"   Answer Question