Sony PlayStation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2015

2.6

Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied to the Santa Monica studio online and heard back from HR within 2 weeks. Since I live in another country, they asked for a good time to talk to the team via phone. HR was very quick in replying to my e-mails and setting up the interview. A senior guy from the team called me directly. He asked some good questions, and was nice and respectful in the way he posed them, and did his best to answer my questions. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes and felt more like a discussion, which is a sign of a good interviewer. He said he would send the feedback to HR and they'll contact me. One business day later (Friday to Monday), HR sends me an e-mail saying they would not be moving forward with the process. I was slightly taken aback, as I thought our chat had gone mostly well, or at least enough to move forward to a second interview. However in retrospect, though I feel I answered some well, I did botch some key questions and realized why I wasn't chosen. Overall a smooth experience with great people, though (like everyone) I wish I'd gotten an opportunity to chat a second time!

User Experience Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

I submitted my application online in February and didn't hear anything until early April. First, I was contacted by an HR person and had a phone interview with her. She mostly asked me general questions about PlayStation and my passion for gaming. This was really more of an information session about the program. At the end of the call, she told me she was going to set me up for two phone interviews with the managers at two different locations. I scheduled these pretty much immediately - they took place just two days after the initial phone call. They were both very laid-back and conversational. Every single person that I spoke to at the company was nice, welcoming, and seemed to really be interested in what I was saying. Most of the time of the interviews consisted of reviewing my resume and talking about different projects I had worked on and what I learned from them. There were a few more formal questions that you would expect from a UX Research position (i.e. walk me through what you see as the main stages of UX research), but nothing unexpected or too difficult. There were also some of the same general questions that the HR person had asked me about, for example, my passion for games. After the interviews, I heard back in about a week and was offered the position. I think stressing any experience that you have with traditional scientific research is important, as well as just being very comfortable talking through your own work/projects in detail. And, of course, being relaxed and confident always helps!

Interview Questions

• Discussed my previous projects and was asked what I learned from them and why I took the steps that I did in completing them.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

It was a very smooth one. First phone screen share interview with questions on basic data structure and JAVA. Enough time was given to solve the question. They will grill you on one question again and again so don't get worried. Be sure of what you speak and be confident.

User Experience Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process for this was really straightforward- a recruiter reached out to me, had a quick screen to tell me about the position, and to gauge if I was actually interested in Playstation, and from there put me through to the team. The interview with the team was super casual, and was more of an opportunity to learn about what the team does and ask me about what I'm interested in. I wasn't actually asked anything technical, despite it being a technical position.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about the stuff on my resume- just trying to get a feel for whether I'd be a good culture fit, I guess.   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

There were two round for the interview process. I had applied online through indeed. The 1st round was Phone screening. The 2nd round was Onsite Interview with QA Lead and HR.

Interview Questions

• 1st round: About the company, Simple QA questions, Resume questions. 2nd round: Projects, QA Automation and Manual questions. Scenario Questions.   Answer Question

Rendering Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

I got the phone screen interview 2 months later after I submitted my resume online. I was interviewed my 2 senior engineers. They just went through my resume and asked questions relevant to the stuff I have done. Like how multithreading works, explain different kinds of rendering techniques. No technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

For Sony Santa Monica studio. Applied online and received an email with a rather large programming test to be completed in a week. The test covered a wide variety of C++ and Assembly questions. Surprisingly, they had quite a bit of depth to them. I submitted my work and was told they decided to move on 3 days later. I emailed back asking for feedback and kindly enough the gentleman responded with some notes. His tone seemed very firm and disappointed almost, I got quite a lot wrong. But, I was very greatful he responded as most interviewers don't bother giving feedback at all. I knew exactly what I had to address to improve. Very greatful for that.

Interview Questions

• Given this C++ code and the following dissasembly for the code after it is compiled, rewrite the C++ so that the dissasembly is better optimized.   1 Answer

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Good interview and great communication with the recruiter. Recruiter was friendly and had the perfect approach making the interview very smooth. Long process, about 9 interviews, phone, Skype and in person. Overall experience was good.

Interview Questions

• Were no unexpected question since the interview was based on the skills of the position in questions.   1 Answer

Product Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

campus visit- recruiter interview-- manager interview -- decision The interview is about what do you think you are good at? what is your idea towards a certain thing etc. One week after the 2 interview, the recruiter told me the result.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the ideas you come up with according to the project you are going to do in the summer   Answer Question

Digital Commerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview was easy and the hiring manager/interviewer decided to fly me up for an on-site interview. After arriving at San Mateo office , a recruiter directed me into a conference room and that was the last time I saw him. No introduction to the company or follow up after the interviews. I interviewed with 6 people, 30 min each, but the hiring manager was away on vacation. I am not sure how a company can hire properly without meeting the candidates. It's also very disrespectful to the person who nixed their whole day to meet with you. With the exception of 2 people (1 being a last minute replacement), the rest of the interviewers didn't look like they wanted to be there. None of them read my resume prior to the meeting though I can't fault the last minute replacement (who was also the most professional). The questions I received were not very thoughtful and seemed to focus more on my management style. They seemed mostly concerned with my willingness and tolerance for wailing through corporate bureaucracy. The travel reimbursement process also took longer than expected due to delays caused by "recently switching over to a new payment system". I was passed for the position, but was somewhat relieved based on the negative impression I received from the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Since it is impossible to get everything done, how would you prioritize your work and complete your tasks?   1 Answer