Sony PlayStation

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

For Sony Santa Monica studio.

Applied online and received an email with a rather large programming test to be completed in a week. The test covered a wide variety of C++ and Assembly questions. Surprisingly, they had quite a bit of depth to them. I submitted my work and was told they decided to move on 3 days later. I emailed back asking for feedback and kindly enough the gentleman responded with some notes. His tone seemed very firm and disappointed almost, I got quite a lot wrong. But, I was very greatful he responded as most interviewers don't bother giving feedback at all. I knew exactly what I had to address to improve. Very greatful for that.

Interview Questions
    • Given this C++ code and the following dissasembly for the code after it is compiled, rewrite the C++ so that the dissasembly is better optimized.   View Answer

Regional Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Good interview and great communication with the recruiter. Recruiter was friendly and had the perfect approach making the interview very smooth. Long process, about 9 interviews, phone, Skype and in person. Overall experience was good.

Interview Questions
    • Were no unexpected question since the interview was based on the skills of the position in questions.   View Answer

Product Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

campus visit- recruiter interview-- manager interview -- decision
    The interview is about what do you think you are good at? what is your idea towards a certain thing etc.
    One week after the 2 interview, the recruiter told me the result.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the ideas you come up with according to the project you are going to do in the summer   Answer Question

Digital Commerce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Initial phone interview was easy and the hiring manager/interviewer decided to fly me up for an on-site interview. After arriving at San Mateo office , a recruiter directed me into a conference room and that was the last time I saw him. No introduction to the company or follow up after the interviews.

I interviewed with 6 people, 30 min each, but the hiring manager was away on vacation. I am not sure how a company can hire properly without meeting the candidates. It's also very disrespectful to the person who nixed their whole day to meet with you.

With the exception of 2 people (1 being a last minute replacement), the rest of the interviewers didn't look like they wanted to be there. None of them read my resume prior to the meeting though I can't fault the last minute replacement (who was also the most professional). The questions I received were not very thoughtful and seemed to focus more on my management style. They seemed mostly concerned with my willingness and tolerance for wailing through corporate bureaucracy.

The travel reimbursement process also took longer than expected due to delays caused by "recently switching over to a new payment system".

I was passed for the position, but was somewhat relieved based on the negative impression I received from the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Since it is impossible to get everything done, how would you prioritize your work and complete your tasks?   View Answer

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Applied through the website. Got a call about a month later. Had a 30-60 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Questions were pretty straight forward. On-site interview was standard for the industry. 3-4 45 minutes sessions, each with 2-3 interviewers. Questions ranged from basics in C++ to a few "how do you think" questions. The tricky questions weren't terrible, and you could think it through given some time.

Interview Questions
    HR asked me to justify the salary I was asking for. I said that it was the average for a person with my experience, and was in line with what my peers with similar jobs and experience were receiving. They were receptive and agreed.

User Experience Research Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sony PlayStation in April 2014.

Interview/Hiring Process

I applied online with both a resume and cover letter. Playstation is interestingly slow at getting back after the initial resume drop, however, I think this is because they have an application period and wait until after that period of a few weeks/months is over before reviewing all the candidates. If you apply right when their internships get posted, don't be surprised if you hear back in a month. I was contacted in mid-April after applying in March.

After the resume drop, Playstation moves fast. I was contacted by a university recruiter from Playstation, and set up an interview that week. The first interview with the recruiter was less of an interview and more of an information session where they explained the program, requirements, and work activity. The recruiter did throw in a few questions to gauge interest, however, such as "why are you interested in Playstation?" and "do you have a passion for video games?"

The second and final interview was with the head of one of the UX teams. I had the initial recruiter-interview on a Friday, and the second interview occurred the following Monday. It was not a particularly grueling or stressful interview, and it included standard questions reviewing my resume and past experience as well as questions about my interest in Playstation and gaming. The first few minutes of the interview were informal, and we discussed some of my recent classes/school experience. The interviewer seemed genuinely interest in what I was doing at the time, and after the first few minutes of introductions and small talk we moved to more formal questions about the position (e.g. "What does UX research mean?", "Tell me about your experimental research experience").

As discussed previously, Playstation moves fast after the initial resume drop. I was contacted the next day by the same university recruiter from the first interview and I was offered the position.

General Tips:

If you're interested in Playstation, makes sure you're up-to-speed on their products and that you show a passion for gaming. Don't just say "I like videogames" or "I own a Playstation"; show them that games are a true passion and not just a leisure activity for you. Secondly, if you're applying for a UX research internship or UX research position in general, be sure to emphasize past experimental research experience. Playstation's UX team is very attuned to knowledge/experience with testing, experimentation, and lab work.

Interview Questions
    • Something to the effect of: "We've discussed UX research, what are your thoughts on what it means to do UX research on games?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in March 2014.

HR contacted me first, then she arranged the interview for me. However, actually since I speaked Chinese too much, failed at the beginning of the interview which talked about the weather.

Director CS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in March 2014.

Interview Questions
    • This is a company looking for young culture fits and American yes Men/Women to Corporate Japan, not innovators and disruptors. The interview questions were only basic. They are clearly not ready for Change Management. They are also not focusing on the right things.   View Answer
    • Tell us about past, why should we hire you. Who, what, when use PAR   View Answer
    • NDA. This is the basics. No surprises and no challenges in fact I was embarrassed for the team that didn't ask me any intelligent questions.   View Answer

Staff Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in February 2014.

The interview was quickly secured and pleasant. I met with the manager of an R&D team and he described what the team did (very cool next-gen stuff) and I showed him my project work. We met in the SCEA building cafeteria and chatted for about an hour. We then tried to schedule a phone-based follow-up but it took about 10 days to secure due to his super-busy schedule.

It became apparent through that discussion the team needed a member that was ultra-focused in one area, whereas I'm more of a system-level guy. I left the interview feeling I wasn't a great fit, but the guy was nice and no hard feelings.

Fast forward about 2 more weeks and the interviewer says he's interested in me again, but yesterday I signed up for another job. Ah well. =]

Interview Questions
    • I was asked several technical questions that I didn't quite understand. They were related to analog electrical signalling, semiconductor physics and very deep-level input conditioning.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

E-mail Questionnaire + Phone Interview