Sony PlayStation

2.6

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Applied through an agency. It took more than 2 months for the agency to get back to me and when he did he said the position was put on hold and that's why it took him so long to call. It took another month for the agency to arrange the interview after the phone interview as well. I had 2 face to face interviews with Sony, nice and friendly team of managers. Easy going but with lots of questions about community management and how you perceive the brand and forums etc.

They got back to me pretty quickly -next day- after the first interview and arranged the second one for the upcoming week, had another great interview that left me with the vibe of getting the job, they said they would get back to me with the final decision in 2 days time but it literally took another month to get a refusal.

I had to push the agency to get the decision email.

Overall, it was a waste of my time and effort as I provided them with a detailed research about how to approach community management etc, I don't think they know what they want and just keep doing interviews maybe just to get some fresh ideas.

On another note I shall state out that the job advert has been around since February!

Community Coordinator (Foreign Language) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in June 2014.

Applied online via a job board, recruiting agency got back to me within a day, asking for specifics of my gaming experience. After a brief back-and-forth, I got some pointers on improving my CV, which was then sent to the company.
    It took them about a week to come back saying that they wanted to interview me. First I was interviewed by the hiring manager and by another manager from the communities. It was rather informal, was asked to tell about myself, expand on points in resume, then provide specific ideas.
    After that I was asked to write a short test for the language (2 pages, multiple-choice and open-ended), and a short welcome message for the community. Note: it's a good idea at this point to ask if there are any specific rules/guidelines for such messages.

They got back to me soon (just after the weekend), asking me in for a second round with the same hiring manager and someone even more senior from the company. That went very well, was even more relaxed and informal than the first one. No really tricky questions. Asked for impressions on existing content, and then some questions such as "how would you go about doing x?"

Interview Questions
    • Had a pop quiz on relevant language grammar, included tricky spelling questions, associations and country trivia.   Answer Question
    • What changes would you make to the website/forum/blog?   Answer Question
    • How would you promote something on the forum/website/blog?   Answer Question
    • Pick your favourite game that you know very well. Imagine it's new. How would you promote it?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Submitted the application through and agency and was given an interview a day afterwards. Went to the interview which consisted of an in depth C++ test and a thorough probing of my CV. Later given feedback and decision within 2 days.

Interview Questions
    • C++ data structures, stl containers, design patterns, multithreading. Recommended read: Effective C++   Answer Question
    Very fast and efficient. They were extremely helpful every step of the way.

European Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Went through an agency with the head of HR being my main contact. Interview with HR. Then a meeting with Head of Department. 2nd interview with Marketing Director and final round with Vice President of Marketing the company

Interview Questions
    • in response to saying that i can fit into any social environment i was asked if i was an "actor and if i was acting at this current time" I assume it was to do that i could think on my feet   View Answer
    Non existent i was offered and it was take it or leave it.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sony PlayStation.

The old process was basically ask your mates who want a job to submit a CV and cover letter. These would reviewed and either rejected or accepted. These days applicants are expected to submit their applications via website www.playstationjobs.co.uk where they can select from various options to narrow down their search.
    The system is requires you to create an account and is very basic. Salary details are not usually listed.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in November 2010.

I applied online, and received a phonecall from HR recruitment who scheduled the interview. A went to the interview and was given a fairly straight forward C/C++ test. After that I was given an interview by 3 senior technical people. This again was fairly straight forward and was asked about my technical background and the work I've done. I was also given a problem solving exercise.

I was told that there is usually a second round, which is more of a HR type interview.

After the interview, I heard nothing. Even followed it up with no response, so I assumed I was unsuccessful

Interview Questions
    • General probing of CV   Answer Question
    • Problem solving: You have 8 identical coins. 1 of which weighs less. You also have a pair of balancing scales. What's the minimum amount of weighs you can have to identify the lighter coin for all possibilities?   View Answers (3)

Developer Relations Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Sony PlayStation in June 2010.

The most outstanding thing about this interview process was the duration. Probably a total of 4-6 hours across about as many months. SCEE is not the most decisive company. Meeting the same people for essentially the same interview over and over made you wonder what they were looking for and whether they knew themselves.

Interview Questions
    • The lack of specificity was the hardest. There was sort of the sense of "I don't know what I want, but I will know it when I see it". So pinning down their expectations to the candidate and so on, was very difficult.   Answer Question
    It was done entirely via an recruiting agent. They put an offer to me. I declined and asked for a slightly higher offer - which they granted quickly.