Soraa Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

2.8

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA).

Interview

6 people interviewed me with 30 mins each. Some were technical guys but majority were just ops. They offered water during the 3 hrs process and they were very good. Overall, interview process was a breeze and enjoyful.

Senior Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with the former CEO Tom who was nice but a bit foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog. Also interviewed with a tall Dutch guy who seemed stoned and detached from reality. Kind of a surreal interview. I also saw their working environment is a sweatshop so-called Open Office seald the 'No' for me.

Interview Questions

No one in management seemed to be intelligent or skilled. They seemed like they checked out a while ago.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Soraa in August 2013.

Interview

The whole process took 6 weeks. First contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin, then referred to another recruiter that worked on site at Sorra. I had a 30min phone interview with the second recruiter followed by another phone interview with a mechanical engineer at Soraa. I was then brought in for an on site interview where I delivered a 45min presentation on myself and work experience (as requested), followed by 6 one-on-one interviews with members of various departments. A week later I was brought back on site for another one-on-one.

First thing I noticed during the whole interview process, I wasn't prompted if I had any questions for them until I think the 4th person I spoke to. I had to interject after they had finished asking their questions with my own. Second thing was a general confusion with what was expected of the role from senior and executive management. I got mixed messages with that aspirations they had, and the requirements they needed from a candidate to meet them.

Coordination was generally pretty poor. I was given 48 hours notice for both onsite interviews, the first of which I was told would last all day. I pushed back and negotiated it down to a half day, but I still had to fudge an excuse for my absence from my current position to my detriment.

A few things that really stood out; or actually shocked me:

1. 4 out of the 7 who interviewed me in person had been with Soraa for less than a year.
    2. I was told they had to 'let go' 2 mechanical engineers 6 months ago due to funding issues.
    3. I was told, to quote "Most of us are here for the pay day".
    4. They just released their first product last month and hope to turn a profit to become self sufficient by the end of the year.

All in all I have mixed feelings about Soraa. I did get a general air that they thought they were a big deal, and I should feel privileged to be considered for a position there. At multiple points I felt like throwing in the towel because of this attitude. A little big for their boots to be honest, you're not Google yet!

Interview Questions

• How would you fix shrinkage areas in a plastic injection molded part without modifying the design?   1 Answer

Sales Operations/IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I was brought on at a time when Soraa was transitioning from Gen1 to Gen2 lamps. The atmosphere was pure startup. There was a lot of ideas, some focus and developing structure. Business processes were being defined and it was heavy on Operations. The company needed to move from a science experiment to a mass marketed device.

I interviewed 3 times onsite. Mainly due to scheduling conflicts. Once I got a sense that Soraa had potential and that the people I spoke with were all in...it was an easy decision for me.

Interview Questions

• Can you start a week earlier?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very simple. Soraa paid slightly below market, so I knew what I was getting into. The additional benefits and long term gains to be made are worth it. Again, it's a startup. You have to know what you're getting into. It will not be like working at Microsoft, Apple, Cisco or Google, where you're a number. At a startup, you matter.

Senior Vice President International Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

One telephone interview and two face to face interviews, one with additional members of the management team. A straight forward interview process that focused on what I thought we could achieve as a business in the first year of sales. Difficult to quantify and I had substantially different expectations to the then CEO. Some discussion around this and some disagreement about routes to market but all done in a professional way. Final negotiation and contract done by HR in a fast and efficient way. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Sales growth forecasts in the first year.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The company has a structured benefits package which is fairly rigid but they are adaptable where they can be on most aspects of the package discussions. The HR guy is a reasonable and pragmatic guy and these values run deep within the company with a few exceptions.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA).

Interview

one interview onsite with 3 simple questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

did not ngociate

Sales Manager, EMEA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Soraa (Fremont, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was asked to come in and interview with the COO and the SVP of Sales and marketing. They seemed unprepared and like they didnt read my resume. I was impressed by just one person, the Sales VP who was intelligent. The COO named Tommy asked about my personal life which made me uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are qualified to do this job?   1 Answer

There are better options out there and the interview was unprofessional

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Soraa (Goleta, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

They did not ask very detial question, Just normal question.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Soraa in October 2011.

Interview

be more familiar with what you have done. Very detailed technique questions may be asked.