Sotera Defense Solutions

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.1

Solutions Architect Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in October 2011.

Sought out by company while working as a CTO in a competitor company. The process included meeting with the SVP for Business Development and the Chief Executive Officer. Once interviews were completed the HR department submitted an initial offer letter based on prior negotiation with the hiring official (SVP).

Negotiation was straight forward

Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions.

Quick and easy, applied via the website and was contacted by a recruiter for an interview. I was then brought onsite for an in person with the hiring manager...the interview processes lasted 2 weeks

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in October 2012.

Standard interview, nothing out of the norm

Normal

Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in September 2010.

One of their recruiters found my resume online and just called me one day. They said they would hook me up with a phone call with the hiring manager the next day but I actually just talked to another person on the contract who just described the position to me. I was expecting to be asked a lot of questions but nothing like that happened. It was nice because they had already made up their mind based on my resume that they were going to hire me.

Overall, I was very pleased with the interview process.

I also feel that I need to say, this interview was with GTEC (the good company before Sotera).

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any questions except about my salary requirements.   Answer Question
    They asked me a price and I told them my number. Without missing a beat, they said that was a good number (I asked too low apparently).

All-Source Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions.

I was called after submitting an application on the company web-site. The phone interview seemed very appropriate, not over the top stressful but not too casual. I was asked general questions about some of my experiences as per my resume, and then drawn toward topics within the resume that pertained to the job I was interviewing for. I came to realize that I was being considered for a position on a contract in which Sotera was not the prime, but a sub. The position was one of not many that Sotera had on the contract, and each was highly sought after. At the conclusion of the phone interview, the interviewer told me he wanted to get me on the phone with the prime PM that was running the contract. We did that, and the rest is history. Spoiler alert – I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected enough for me to remember.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in August 2009.

The hiring process was pretty straight forward. They will call you if they like your resume and will invite you to their corporate headquarters in McLean or Herndon (depending on division). The interviews are pretty casual and are usually one-on-ones with a Project or Program Manager. If they like you and think you'll be a good fit, you will find out quickly.

Interview Questions
    • What was my expected salary was the hardest question. The intel community is getting hit pretty hard and this can be a tricky question that can cost you an opportunity. You will need to be realistic. Plus, Sotera is a sub-contractor on most contracts so they will pay a tad less since they have to pay the prime contractor per FTE.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was quick and not really a negotiation. The company doesn't like to negotiate since there are lots of people looking for jobs. Be careful and don't overplay your hand.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in January 2012.

Management was very open and nice. They asked the typical questions. As long as you know yourself (strengths/weaknesses, and what you want), you would do fine. Staff is extremely limited, so they are motivated to hire.

Interview Questions
    I told the hiring manager what the 25th - 75th percentile market rate for my position with my expertise and they offered a salary within that range.

IA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sotera Defense Solutions in September 2011.

I applied via Indeed.com and received and email from their HR department about a week later to setup a phone interview with the Program Manager. It was very convenient because I was overseas and could not fly to the location to have a face to face interview. The Program Manager asked several questions based on my resume (I guess to make sure I was honest). The whole interview took about 45 minutes. He told me that I should hear something before the end of the week and two days later I received an offer letter from their HR department. Very smooth and expedient process overall.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult situation with a coworker?   Answer Question

Worked for Sotera Defense Solutions? Contribute to the Community!