Sotheby's

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Junior Cataloger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sotheby's in April 2011.

Somewhat challenging experience for an initial interview with new HR 'Early Career Recruiter' and her supervisor (for quality assurance purposes, I assume.) Was asked a variety of standard questions pertaining to experience listed on my resume in seemingly random order for nearly an hour, what was your greatest accomplishment in this position, why did you leave that position, what did you like least about this position. No behavioral-type questions. Supervisor chimed in at the end to answer my questions about the position, but no job role overview given during the interview. Stiff atmosphere, hard to gauge interviewers' responses, not quite as conversational as most other interviews I've had. Intimidation factor higher than anticipated.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you here (why did you apply for this position?)   Answer Question
  • How did you become interested in art history?   Answer Question
  • Did you find it difficult to return to graduate school after being in the workforce?   Answer Question
  • What was your least favorite of these internship experiences?   Answer Question