Source Interlink Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

Technical Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Source Interlink in January 2014.

Spoke to the editor in chief, then the director. Sent home with a writing assignment, then was left to wait until I contacted them to find out they went in a different direction (downsized the company)

Interview Questions
    • A very bland and undetailed writing assignment on adjusting valves.   Answer Question

Magazine Merchandiser Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Source Interlink in November 2013.

Interviewing for the merchandiser position is very easy because the job is so simple. To begin with you have to have graduated high school to apply. Merchandising experience is also good. A five minute phone interview to confirm that you have car insurance and can follow directions.

No negotiation.

Social Media Interview

3 phone interviews. very candid. phone interview lasted between 10-15 minutes with the recruiter, hiring manager, and then an on site interview. basic questions with the understanding of the job description and what it entailed. no trick questions or difficult ones either

Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jamestown, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamestown, NY

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Source Interlink in May 2013.

they bought out the company i worked for so there really was not an interview.

Interview Questions
    • would you like working for a better company?   View Answer

Associate Online Editor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Source Interlink in March 2011.

Easy, although there was no compensation for traveling from the other side of the country.

There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it. I took it. There was no compensation for moving. That should have been a red flag.

Associate Online Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Source Interlink in January 2013.

I applied to work at Source Interlink Media (SIM) in late December; it took two weeks to hear back. My first interview was near the beginning of January. It was formal, but quick. It took close to two more weeks before I heard back; I had my second interview close to two weeks after my initial interview. The second interview involved a writing test that was by no means challenging. I rewrote a press release. It was mid- to late-February before I was offered the job. My first day of work was March 4th, 7 weeks from when I first interviewed.

Management seemed optimistic about changing the website(s) I'd be working on. The directions sounded positive when I interviewed. The salary I was offered was appalling and rude, but after two months of interviewing and waiting for a job, I took the salary with hope it would jump significantly after 90 days.

The first day I started working I noticed there was a pessimistic atmosphere in the building. I was encouraged to look elsewhere for work, employees told me of the financial difficulties at SIM. Many of these employees were similar to me: they had moved across the country to work for their favorite magazine(s), they had a journalism degree and plenty of experience, they made very poor salaries at SIM and were afraid of being laid-off at any moment.

At first I refused to believe these rumors, but by mid-summer I knew they were all true. Exactly 11 months after being hired I was laid-off. No raises, no bonuses, and no severance when I was let go. I was used to puff-up the social media numbers and traffic numbers to the websites. I re-wrote press releases daily, never reporting actual stories or leaving the office to report stories that would interest the readers. The work I was doing was a means to an end. The company split in two after YouTube refused to ink another deal for the Motor Trend (MT) channel. The YouTube money SIM made paid for the employees it laid-off. The website(s) on the other side of the hallway (not on the MT side) are forgotten about, used to bankroll other interests (primarily online videos).

If you're not a member of the MT group, Truck Trend and Automotive.com, then you're forgotten about and used for grunt work. Even those I knew on the MT side of the hallways worked for nickels. One person I knew had two and a half years of experience working on the “better” side of the hallway, but made the same salary I made. If you're not excited to make less than $40,000, management will get wind of your aspirations to make more and it will ignore you; quietly encouraging you to leave. I’ve had management tell me "plenty of people are willing to do your job for less,” and that “people don’t work here for the money, they work here because they like what they do… don’t expect a raise here for at least 10 years.”

Senior Graphic Artist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Source Interlink in May 2013.

Filled out application, phone interivew. Person that did the phone interview - the HR person was really excited to speak with me. The basic phone interview questions. Women seemed not trained well -- seems she was a recent grad. Didn't even seem interested in my portfolio. The position along with the marketing department is a revolving door - at least a the Bonita location. Pay was so low, I asked why they advertised for a Senior level postition and then called me in? -- was told it was the only way to attract a decent candidate - and then try to talk them down (from the appropriate pay level).

Obvioulsly they need training from top to bottom. Everyone seemed on edge. One of the most unusual conversations ever.

CManager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Source Interlink.

Great overall process

Great Company for work.

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Source Interlink.

This was many years ago. I did two interviews and then I received an offer letter.

Merchandiser Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Source Interlink.

I met the manager at a walmart and she told me about the position and then hired me.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions really. Was just told about the job.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Worked for Source Interlink? Contribute to the Community!