Southern California Edison Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

I applied through their webpage and was contacted by email to schedule a phone screening. Interviewer described the job description and asked about information from resume. Also gave a lot of opportunities to ask questions about the job.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

It was a t ypical interview with the hiring mangager, another manager and an Human Resources rep. Nothing was very surprising. I think they had their candidate picked before it got to the actual interviews. It is the norm here and maybe elsewhere too?

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

The interview questions are like 3 in 1. Some questions can be technical and usually have 3 people on the panel. The entire process can be lengthy from the time you apply to actually getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Take me thru the steps of creating an Access database.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Consist of one or more phone interview with hiring manager or with manager and subject matter experts. Followed by an in-person interview with hiring manager or with manager and subject matter experts.

Interview Questions

• Questions consist of scenarios and technology specific subjects.   1 Answer

Business Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Job skills testing was required first, then those who passed would be scheduled for a panel interview. Took one day for the hiring manager to respond with an offer. If accepted, you will go through background check and drug testing.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Contracts Originator Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

The interview was behavioral based questions that focused on conflict resolution, teamwork, and leadership. They would also review your resume and ask you certain questions regarding what you listed. Interviewees were very friendly and active in the process. Near the end of the process they also provided time to meet with a couple employees.

Data Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a relatively (surprising!!) new job position propping-up across California(& US) esp. from a utility companies like SCE. I do not know why they titled it as Data science analyst instead of Demand Forecaster position as both of the job requirements are same. Initially they set up the phone screen with Portfolio Planning and Analysis department panel (includes analysts, as well as a meteorologist). The phone interview went for 30 minutes with the panel asking my current work experience as a data analyst/scientist with emphasis on predictive models/big data techniques like hadoop in production though not very technical. Questions like what are the factors(features) that affect the electric consumption? They are expecting me to know the time series models like seasonality, trend, MA, ARIMA, ARIMAX etc. and how weather features affects the consumption like the usage of Air conditioners during Summer, working hours in a day, the day/night pattern that affect etc.They are looking for someone who can use the machine learning models from other industry setting (out-of-box thinking) for forecasting the short-term demand of electricity demand, renewable generation, and demand response up 90 days ahead. Also they welcome someone who can productionlize the R/SAS model using big data. The interviewers are patient enough to explain their expectation from the candidate. After the phone interview they called me for onsite interview within 15 days. The recruiter is very kind in setting up the interview with convenient dates. The interview include 1) case study (2) dimensional interview (3) technical presentation. (total of 3 hours) 1) Case study interview (1hr): The case study is related to the portfolio planning like in the B-schools from financial management coursework except the interviewer reads the scenario in words rather than we generally read from paper and slowly builds-up the case to make it narrow. The interviewer showed some graphs and expected me to calculate the dollar amount (under the area of curve) for different scenarios. Slowly the interview builds-up the scenario and create hypothetical situations to see how a decision affects if the company goes with X scenario to get break-even in dollars, time period, optimizing in terms of total cost etc. The interviewer is awesome! very professional and patient enough to listen the answers. 2) Dimensional Interview(1hr): A panel of 5 members took the interview. Most of them have pre-set of questions from a booklet. Every one reads the questions from the booklet and all of them keep on writing/recording what I had answered. The questions like see below: 3) Technical presentation (30 min): Technical presentation – You will need to prepare and give a 20 – 30 minute presentation on any topic related to statistical forecasting, data mining, or machine learning modeling. I presented my graduate school course project on statistics topic as my current work has propriety data. I didn't prepare well for presentation and chosen topic on causality which is neither interesting to me or for the panel/a non-relevant topic for forecasting team. Panel asked questions on my presentation topic I failed big time to address those. One of the panel member said directly that I should have presented some interesting topic on prediction like NLP based topic from my current work experience. Here I felt embarrassed as I didn't pick the topic which I rigorously studied in my current work experience/from school. I set up myself for failure in presenting the non-rigorous topic and couldn't address the questions from the presentation topic. I felt little impatient/frustrated in getting the "not-selected" news as they took over a month. However they promised me to tell the result with-in a week time. My guess is they interviewed 2 other candidates for the same position. They offered the job to 1st best candidate and I was kept in the waiting list till he/she accepted the offer/undergone the background check. Overall, the interview experience is good as process is rigorous and at the same time well within the reasonable time frame of 3 hrs. unlike some companies who take grilling/horrific 8 hrs in onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• i) What safety measures you take in your work-place environment, how important it is for anyone. ii) What are the statistical models you use like logistic regression etc iii) They showed some graphs on the electricity consumption pattern in a year and a particular day of a year (winter/summer) to figure out the peak time and what could be the factors of the high consumption in a day from morning or afternoon and the dip during night times iv) One of them showed the SAS output in a paper of a simple linear time-series forecasting model to read the significant coefficients from the linear model based on the t-statistic & Durbin–Watson statistic. v) They asked what do you do to keep updating the data science skills like reading journals, mooc, online competitions such as kaggle etc vi) how do you prioritize your work if an urgent requirements comes in. vii) How do you communicate with teams with different wavelengths (like engineering , operations, business, VP etc)? viii) what if your manager disagrees with you? ix) how do you persuade your obdurate team member? ix) What statistical/software tools you use in your current company like R, SQL, Tableau?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a call from a university recruiter about a week after I applied online. She asked some questions that were on my resume, and went over their job qualifications. She then scheduled for an onsite interview

MPP1 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Long and arduous. Very structured and not very open to truly finding out more about the candidate or the company as a whole. Not sure what else to say, not remembering that far back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Interviews are held in a panel format, usually in a 3 person format. They follow the STAR system and it sometimes can be intimidating because the panel can be writing and not really listening to what you are saying. I think sometimes the questions are too similar so you need to have alot of examples and you do need to have alot of preparation for these interviews. Some jobs requiring pre testing which can be tough. The Excel test is easy if you truly use Excel. if you dont , you better get a copy and take a class.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on , describe how you handled confllct, what did you do to overcome it, what steps did you take and what was the outcome.   Answer Question