Southern California Edison Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a call from a university recruiter about a week after I applied online.
    She asked some questions that were on my resume, and went over their job qualifications. She then scheduled for an onsite interview

Data Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a relatively (surprising!!) new job position propping-up across California(& US) esp. from a utility companies like SCE. I do not know why they titled it as Data science analyst instead of Demand Forecaster position as both of the job requirements are same. Initially they set up the phone screen with Portfolio Planning and Analysis department panel (includes analysts, as well as a meteorologist). The phone interview went for 30 minutes with the panel asking my current work experience as a data analyst/scientist with emphasis on predictive models/big data techniques like hadoop in production though not very technical. Questions like what are the factors(features) that affect the electric consumption? They are expecting me to know the time series models like seasonality, trend, MA, ARIMA, ARIMAX etc. and how weather features affects the consumption like the usage of Air conditioners during Summer, working hours in a day, the day/night pattern that affect etc.They are looking for someone who can use the machine learning models from other industry setting (out-of-box thinking) for forecasting the short-term demand of electricity demand, renewable generation, and demand response up 90 days ahead. Also they welcome someone who can productionlize the R/SAS model using big data. The interviewers are patient enough to explain their expectation from the candidate.
    After the phone interview they called me for onsite interview within 15 days. The recruiter is very kind in setting up the interview with convenient dates. The interview include 1) case study (2) dimensional interview (3) technical presentation. (total of 3 hours)
    1) Case study interview (1hr): The case study is related to the portfolio planning like in the B-schools from financial management coursework except the interviewer reads the scenario in words rather than we generally read from paper and slowly builds-up the case to make it narrow. The interviewer showed some graphs and expected me to calculate the dollar amount (under the area of curve) for different scenarios. Slowly the interview builds-up the scenario and create hypothetical situations to see how a decision affects if the company goes with X scenario to get break-even in dollars, time period, optimizing in terms of total cost etc. The interviewer is awesome! very professional and patient enough to listen the answers.
    2) Dimensional Interview(1hr): A panel of 5 members took the interview. Most of them have pre-set of questions from a booklet. Every one reads the questions from the booklet and all of them keep on writing/recording what I had answered. The questions like see below:
    3) Technical presentation (30 min): Technical presentation – You will need to prepare and give a 20 – 30 minute presentation
    on any topic related to statistical forecasting, data mining, or machine learning modeling.
    I presented my graduate school course project on statistics topic as my current work has propriety data. I didn't prepare well for presentation and chosen topic on causality which is neither interesting to me or for the panel/a non-relevant topic for forecasting team. Panel asked questions on my presentation topic I failed big time to address those. One of the panel member said directly that I should have presented some interesting topic on prediction like NLP based topic from my current work experience. Here I felt embarrassed as I didn't pick the topic which I rigorously studied in my current work experience/from school. I set up myself for failure in presenting the non-rigorous topic and couldn't address the questions from the presentation topic.
    I felt little impatient/frustrated in getting the "not-selected" news as they took over a month. However they promised me to tell the result with-in a week time. My guess is they interviewed 2 other candidates for the same position. They offered the job to 1st best candidate and I was kept in the waiting list till he/she accepted the offer/undergone the background check.
    Overall, the interview experience is good as process is rigorous and at the same time well within the reasonable time frame of 3 hrs. unlike some companies who take grilling/horrific 8 hrs in onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• i) What safety measures you take in your work-place environment, how important it is for anyone. ii) What are the statistical models you use like logistic regression etc iii) They showed some graphs on the electricity consumption pattern in a year and a particular day of a year (winter/summer) to figure out the peak time and what could be the factors of the high consumption in a day from morning or afternoon and the dip during night times iv) One of them showed the SAS output in a paper of a simple linear time-series forecasting model to read the significant coefficients from the linear model based on the t-statistic & Durbin–Watson statistic. v) They asked what do you do to keep updating the data science skills like reading journals, mooc, online competitions such as kaggle etc vi) how do you prioritize your work if an urgent requirements comes in. vii) How do you communicate with teams with different wavelengths (like engineering , operations, business, VP etc)? viii) what if your manager disagrees with you? ix) how do you persuade your obdurate team member? ix) What statistical/software tools you use in your current company like R, SQL, Tableau?   Answer Question

MPP1 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Long and arduous. Very structured and not very open to truly finding out more about the candidate or the company as a whole. Not sure what else to say, not remembering that far back.

Business Analyst III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Interviews are held in a panel format, usually in a 3 person format. They follow the STAR system and it sometimes can be intimidating because the panel can be writing and not really listening to what you are saying. I think sometimes the questions are too similar so you need to have alot of examples and you do need to have alot of preparation for these interviews. Some jobs requiring pre testing which can be tough. The Excel test is easy if you truly use Excel. if you dont , you better get a copy and take a class.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on , describe how you handled confllct, what did you do to overcome it, what steps did you take and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

They first start of with a phone interview just behavioral questions then they will ask for a face to face for technical questions. Even in the face to face you will be asked more behavioral questions. Also go over your resume make sure you know it. Doesn't hurt to brush up on it.

Substation Const & Maint Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online 4/1 to general college summer intern position, received HR email response 4/10, and a phone call to request an onsite interview interview on 5/1. First and only round of interview was onsite, with 3 interviewers. Overall a very fun and friendly behavioral interview, with good jokes and a family feel between the managers.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you needed to work in a team with someone with a different working style than you.   Answer Question

New Grad Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was lengthy and rigorous. Luckily, the staff was nice and the office was air conditioned. The questions were not too difficult, there were just a lot of them. Still, not an experience I'd want to go through again.

Interview Questions

• Describe one instance where you took the role of a leader.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Panel Interview consisting of three people.
    Each asked me questions regarding my resume along with personal experiences.
    Took about an hour for the whole process.
    Asked both technical and STAR-related questions.
    Overall a pretty smooth experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you couldn't meet a deadline and what you learned from that experience.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

they make a phone confirmation at the first, then they will tell you the time for the facility interview, after that, you will receive the notification about time of onsite interview.

Engineer II Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

There were four people in the panel and the questions were straight to the point and they were very professional. This was a position specifically for substation engineering. If you have done behavior questions in previous interviews this shouldn't be a problem but it is important to prepare.

Interview Questions

• What considerations do you take in adding a new transformer?   1 Answer
    • Compare the double bus/double breaker and the breaker and a half configuration. If you say one is more reliable than the other one. Why? What is the cost difference? What is the operational difference?   1 Answer
    • What's the function of the bus?   2 Answers
    • What steps do you take to convince your manager that your approach is best than his?   1 Answer