Southern California Edison

3.2

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern California Edison in October 2009.

H.R. contacted me via email asking if I would be available for an interview within the week. Since I had not formally applied to a position, I was a little surprised. It turned out my resume was pulled from recruitment fair. Since this was a fair recruitment, a job description was not provided. Edison interviews you once at a job location, and that is usually it.

The interview consist of two parts, first the STAR interview, and then a technical interview. The technical interview relates to technical information about the job. Edison’s STAR approach is a little different than most, they do not ask you to call upon your previous experience, instead they provide a situation with numerous detail, and ask to solve the problem. In many incidences the interviewers will expand and adlib to the original question, turning the interview into a role-play situation.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Edison?   Answer Question
    • Given situation A, B, C, D and E what would you do to perform all five tasks, and in which order.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern California Edison in July 2010.

The panel consisted of the engineering hiring manager and two engineers from the specific department. Asked behavioral question and technical question. How would you do this and that if given a situation. Draw the power system from transmission to distribution with your protective elements!! The detailed the better. Put in some relays to your breakers, know what type of relays.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the elements in a power system?   View Answer

Energy Analyst Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern California Edison in November 2010.

1 one-hour interview with 2 people. Case interview that was very difficult. It was mostly difficult because I had to do a lot of math in my head with large numbers and lost track of all the "0"s. I'm very analytical and math/calculations are one of my strengths, just not in my head while I'm under pressure. Didn't feel the case accurately reflected my skills or what I could bring to the company at all (I much prefer behavioral interviews though). Overall, I didn't think a case was necessary, especially since it is not a consulting position.

Interview Questions
    • How many packets of printing paper are sold in the U.S. each year?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern California Edison in August 2008.

It was a panel interview. There was a specific set of questions that was asked of me. The questions were scored at the end and I was told the candidate with the highest scores would get the job. The questions were behavioral questions like tell me about a time when...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team member on your team. How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in March 2012.

They already know who they want when they interviewed...it was all done for show.

Interview Questions
    • Something in regards to starting a project from scratch, and all the steps in between. Their questions seem to pertain to one particular project that only an internal applicant would have knowledge of.   Answer Question

Planner I - Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Process will take about 6-8 months. Applied in early October and didn't hear back until before the Christmas break in December. I was then scheduled for a highly technical power grid, architecture and orienteering test - If you make it to this step you BETTER study and take an honest look at your ability to do math you haven't touched in over a decade. This test NOT a joke and its not easy... I Passed... with no experience in any of the topics they covered. (Lucky/God's Will/Fate - whatever you want to call it)

After you pass the test they will let you know within two weeks, then you are set up for the interview about 1-2 months later at headquarters or another location.

The interview itself is nothing out of the ordinary - STAR Behavioral Interviews as expected of Edison. You are scored on all your answers and ranked based on that. THEN all of a sudden they test your technical knowledge in front of managers with maps, calculators, rulers to make sure you're not a fluke. That was the most terrifying part of the test since it is unexpected and they don't tell you beforehand leading up to this point. I am CONVINCED they aren't really testing you on the technicalities of this test, but rather testing your wit and ability to remain focused even though you don't know what you're doing at all. Oh yeah - It's all TIMED.

All in all, the entire interview process was pretty smooth - but definitely challenging. Be ready to really display your strengths because this is the most INCREDIBLY competitive *technical* position for Edison.

I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Taking the timed technical exam during the interview. Unexpected and really hard unless you have experience as a surveyor or architect.   View Answers (2)
    60k starting as a trainee. 75k after 1 year. Edison. Done.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alhambra, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alhambra, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison in May 2014.

Hiring process took exactly 35 days, from when I applied for the position, all the way to my start date. The background check took one day. Interview process is exactly what other people have advised. It follows a STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result), behavioral-based interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very challenging compared to what I am normally used to when it comes to interview questions. However, knowing what others here have advised, I gathered all possible behavioral-based questions on the internet and tailored it to my career experience. Everything I prepared for in advance got asked in the interview, therefore, no surprises (again, depends how determined you are during the preparation process so that you do not encounter any unexpected questions). I do not recall the exact questions but if not most, all of their questions will determine how you approach every situation, what the tasks were, actions you took and the outcome/results.   Answer Question
    Negotiation phase is like any other company.

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in February 2014.

I applied online in September 2013 and was contacted in February for an in-person interview. This was a four panel interview. Each person took turns asking me about my resume, experience, education, and also behavioral questions. The person leading the interview had three packets of questions prepared for me. One packet was just personal questions, second packet behavioral questions, and third technical questions.......It took Socal Edison three month to get back to me and tell me I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between precision and accuracy?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in December 2014.

I applied online and was called for a phone screening in where I reviewed my resume with the recruiter. The in person portion was a panel interview and the majority of the questions were behavioral based ("tell me about a time when...") followed by some technical questions. Overall more difficult than I expected and required thinking well on your feet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when made a mistake in the workplace.   Answer Question
    N/A

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in November 2013.

Very long process. I applied in November 2013 and was asked to come in for an interview in February 2014. In April I was told they had chosen a different candidate.