Southern California Edison Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.2

CAD Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

A month after the deadline, i got a call from the HR department for an interview which I did and a 2 weeks after I got a call saying I didn't get the job but you can always apply. BAsically, gather all the suggested behavioral and technical questions here and this will help you alot.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, about innovations, collaboration, safety, time management and basic CAD   Answer Question

PMO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty easy. They had around 4 long questions ready and each of them graded me based on the answers to those questions. Each questions had sub questions. They were pretty relaxed. It was not that hard. The panel had three people. One PMO program manager and two project managers.All of them were pretty ok to talk to.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Upon arriving to the interview location, the interviewer will provide you a 30 minutes test consist of 10 technical questions. Once completed, the interviewer will ask several question relating to the job position. The test will be scored and a background check will be provided if approved.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to travel long distances and overnight stay for a project?   1 Answer

Data Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a relatively (surprising!!) new job position propping-up across California(& US) esp. from a utility companies like SCE. I do not know why they titled it as Data science analyst instead of Demand Forecaster position as both of the job requirements are same. Initially they set up the phone screen with Portfolio Planning and Analysis department panel (includes analysts, as well as a meteorologist). The phone interview went for 30 minutes with the panel asking my current work experience as a data analyst/scientist with emphasis on predictive models/big data techniques like hadoop in production though not very technical. Questions like what are the factors(features) that affect the electric consumption? They are expecting me to know the time series models like seasonality, trend, MA, ARIMA, ARIMAX etc. and how weather features affects the consumption like the usage of Air conditioners during Summer, working hours in a day, the day/night pattern that affect etc.They are looking for someone who can use the machine learning models from other industry setting (out-of-box thinking) for forecasting the short-term demand of electricity demand, renewable generation, and demand response up 90 days ahead. Also they welcome someone who can productionlize the R/SAS model using big data. The interviewers are patient enough to explain their expectation from the candidate.
    After the phone interview they called me for onsite interview within 15 days. The recruiter is very kind in setting up the interview with convenient dates. The interview include 1) case study (2) dimensional interview (3) technical presentation. (total of 3 hours)
    1) Case study interview (1hr): The case study is related to the portfolio planning like in the B-schools from financial management coursework except the interviewer reads the scenario in words rather than we generally read from paper and slowly builds-up the case to make it narrow. The interviewer showed some graphs and expected me to calculate the dollar amount (under the area of curve) for different scenarios. Slowly the interview builds-up the scenario and create hypothetical situations to see how a decision affects if the company goes with X scenario to get break-even in dollars, time period, optimizing in terms of total cost etc. The interviewer is awesome! very professional and patient enough to listen the answers.
    2) Dimensional Interview(1hr): A panel of 5 members took the interview. Most of them have pre-set of questions from a booklet. Every one reads the questions from the booklet and all of them keep on writing/recording what I had answered. The questions like see below:
    3) Technical presentation (30 min): Technical presentation – You will need to prepare and give a 20 – 30 minute presentation
    on any topic related to statistical forecasting, data mining, or machine learning modeling.
    I presented my graduate school course project on statistics topic as my current work has propriety data. I didn't prepare well for presentation and chosen topic on causality which is neither interesting to me or for the panel/a non-relevant topic for forecasting team. Panel asked questions on my presentation topic I failed big time to address those. One of the panel member said directly that I should have presented some interesting topic on prediction like NLP based topic from my current work experience. Here I felt embarrassed as I didn't pick the topic which I rigorously studied in my current work experience/from school. I set up myself for failure in presenting the non-rigorous topic and couldn't address the questions from the presentation topic.
    I felt little impatient/frustrated in getting the "not-selected" news as they took over a month. However they promised me to tell the result with-in a week time. My guess is they interviewed 2 other candidates for the same position. They offered the job to 1st best candidate and I was kept in the waiting list till he/she accepted the offer/undergone the background check.
    Overall, the interview experience is good as process is rigorous and at the same time well within the reasonable time frame of 3 hrs. unlike some companies who take grilling/horrific 8 hrs in onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• i) What safety measures you take in your work-place environment, how important it is for anyone. ii) What are the statistical models you use like logistic regression etc iii) They showed some graphs on the electricity consumption pattern in a year and a particular day of a year (winter/summer) to figure out the peak time and what could be the factors of the high consumption in a day from morning or afternoon and the dip during night times iv) One of them showed the SAS output in a paper of a simple linear time-series forecasting model to read the significant coefficients from the linear model based on the t-statistic & Durbin–Watson statistic. v) They asked what do you do to keep updating the data science skills like reading journals, mooc, online competitions such as kaggle etc vi) how do you prioritize your work if an urgent requirements comes in. vii) How do you communicate with teams with different wavelengths (like engineering , operations, business, VP etc)? viii) what if your manager disagrees with you? ix) how do you persuade your obdurate team member? ix) What statistical/software tools you use in your current company like R, SQL, Tableau?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume via their website. Phone interview scheduled followed by Skype Interview. 2 team members asking STAR based questions. Some questions didn't apply due to limited work experience but answered honestly and to best of my knowledge. Show energy and motivation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you promote safety at your workplace   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group and there was disagreement, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very generous for an internship position and so I accepted. Some relocation offered as well.

Substation Const & Maint Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online 4/1 to general college summer intern position, received HR email response 4/10, and a phone call to request an onsite interview interview on 5/1. First and only round of interview was onsite, with 3 interviewers. Overall a very fun and friendly behavioral interview, with good jokes and a family feel between the managers.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you needed to work in a team with someone with a different working style than you.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Pomona, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a call from a university recruiter about a week after I applied online.
    She asked some questions that were on my resume, and went over their job qualifications. She then scheduled for an onsite interview

Analyst Program Project II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Victorville, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Seven Dimensional questions regarding project management, safety in the workplace, conflict resolutions, previous experience and examples when answering each question. SCE uses the STAR guidelines in how you should respond to the interview questions, Situation - Task - Action - Results.

Interview Questions

• How you prioritize work demands and examples of when you were not able to meet a given deadline.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary based on SCE's pay scale which ranges from low, median, and high. Normally they will offer you the salary in the median scale.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online through University Recruiting, and a few weeks later, I received an email for a phone interview with a recruiter. I then went through a phone screening and an additional two interviews, one of which was a case interview. I received an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to work with someone who had a different working style than you.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irwindale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Irwindale, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process can be can be swift or take considerable time depending on the urgency of the position. The interviews are situation based and using the star method is desired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you encountered a difficult situation, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question