Southern California Edison

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.2

Planner I - Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Process will take about 6-8 months. Applied in early October and didn't hear back until before the Christmas break in December. I was then scheduled for a highly technical power grid, architecture and orienteering test - If you make it to this step you BETTER study and take an honest look at your ability to do math you haven't touched in over a decade. This test NOT a joke and its not easy... I Passed... with no experience in any of the topics they covered. (Lucky/God's Will/Fate - whatever you want to call it)

After you pass the test they will let you know within two weeks, then you are set up for the interview about 1-2 months later at headquarters or another location.

The interview itself is nothing out of the ordinary - STAR Behavioral Interviews as expected of Edison. You are scored on all your answers and ranked based on that. THEN all of a sudden they test your technical knowledge in front of managers with maps, calculators, rulers to make sure you're not a fluke. That was the most terrifying part of the test since it is unexpected and they don't tell you beforehand leading up to this point. I am CONVINCED they aren't really testing you on the technicalities of this test, but rather testing your wit and ability to remain focused even though you don't know what you're doing at all. Oh yeah - It's all TIMED.

All in all, the entire interview process was pretty smooth - but definitely challenging. Be ready to really display your strengths because this is the most INCREDIBLY competitive *technical* position for Edison.

I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Taking the timed technical exam during the interview. Unexpected and really hard unless you have experience as a surveyor or architect.   View Answers (2)
    60k starting as a trainee. 75k after 1 year. Edison. Done.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southern California Edison.

I was contacted by a recruiter several months after I applied. Interviews followed fairly quickly. Was told that they would get back to me "by the end of the week" - never happened. The formal interview was behavioral. One interviewer prefaced each question with "It say:...." then read the question from the script. Felt odd.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to be concerned with safety. Took me by surprise as safety had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in February 2014.

Long process, but handled very professionally.

The interview was conducted by a three person panel. They rotated asking questions, and took notes while I gave my answers.

The questions were mostly behavioral in nature, as opposed to discussing my background or resume. I highly recommend that applicants become familiar with the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format of answering interview questions. Come prepared with examples in mind of situations you have faced in your career.

Some of the key questions I remember:

“Tell us about yourself” – This was only opportunity to hit on key aspects of your background, demonstrate knowledge of Edison, why you want the job, why you’re the best candidate, etc.

Safety – There was a question along these lines: “Safety is a big priority for Edison. If you were hired in this position what would you do to ensure a safe working environment.” Be ready to answer this, and to give an example from your background (STAR style).

Multi-Functional Team – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you lead/managed a multi-functional team.

Failure – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you failed at something.

Interview Questions
    • Decision Making – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision without having all of the facts.   Answer Question

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in February 2014.

I applied online in September 2013 and was contacted in February for an in-person interview. This was a four panel interview. Each person took turns asking me about my resume, experience, education, and also behavioral questions. The person leading the interview had three packets of questions prepared for me. One packet was just personal questions, second packet behavioral questions, and third technical questions.......It took Socal Edison three month to get back to me and tell me I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between precision and accuracy?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of a group situation with panel of employees from the department, including member(s) of hiring committee. Panel consisted of cross section of individuals from different practice areas. Second round consisted of one on one interviews with specific practice area members and management individuals.

Project Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Phone interview, in person interview, background check, drug test, previous employer verification, and DMV printout.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you were required to attend a meeting with several people to discuss a problem with a project. How did you articulate your point? Were you successful?
      And what was the outcome?

Answer Question
    No negotiation just an elaboration on the compensation, benefits, and the schedule.
    Then asked if that would be acceptable.

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison in November 2013.

Very long process. I applied in November 2013 and was asked to come in for an interview in February 2014. In April I was told they had chosen a different candidate.

Material Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Clemente, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Clemente, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interviewers asks questions on how one would handle a given situation, provide examples of experience that fit the position applied for, what are the interviewee's strengths and weaknesses.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Extensive interview questions regarding values, HR scenarios, communication techniques. Role playing. Expect a panel interview. You will be scored by each individual for each question. The hiring process weeds out applicants up front by scoring a matrix of must haves. Be clear on you resume because the HR folks generally have little if any experience in you subject matter area. They will simply look for key words on the resume.

Interview Questions
    HR rep misrepresented the ability to make a better offer. Be very explicit regarding what you want and get it in writing. The staffing people seem to think their job is to lowball applicants. Often this happens without the hiring department's knowledge. Maybe its in their performance metrics???

Training Specialist III Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Phone Screen by Recruiter - Phone screen by manager - Panel Interview - Leader interview and sign-off

Interview Questions
    • How do you print from an excell document   View Answer
    There was no negotiation