Southern California Edison Interview Questions

3.2

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulare, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulare, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

My first interview was over the phone with a 3 member panel. They asked simple questions such as what kind of experience had I had with Transmission lines and how I have handled working in a diverse group. Follow up interview was in person and was conducted by 2 people who then went into more detailed questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was How do I feel about working in a diverse group.   View Answer
    They offered a salary and I asked for more and they were honest and said what was the most they had budgeted for the position.

Planner I - Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Process will take about 6-8 months. Applied in early October and didn't hear back until before the Christmas break in December. I was then scheduled for a highly technical power grid, architecture and orienteering test - If you make it to this step you BETTER study and take an honest look at your ability to do math you haven't touched in over a decade. This test NOT a joke and its not easy... I Passed... with no experience in any of the topics they covered. (Lucky/God's Will/Fate - whatever you want to call it)

After you pass the test they will let you know within two weeks, then you are set up for the interview about 1-2 months later at headquarters or another location.

The interview itself is nothing out of the ordinary - STAR Behavioral Interviews as expected of Edison. You are scored on all your answers and ranked based on that. THEN all of a sudden they test your technical knowledge in front of managers with maps, calculators, rulers to make sure you're not a fluke. That was the most terrifying part of the test since it is unexpected and they don't tell you beforehand leading up to this point. I am CONVINCED they aren't really testing you on the technicalities of this test, but rather testing your wit and ability to remain focused even though you don't know what you're doing at all. Oh yeah - It's all TIMED.

All in all, the entire interview process was pretty smooth - but definitely challenging. Be ready to really display your strengths because this is the most INCREDIBLY competitive *technical* position for Edison.

I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Taking the timed technical exam during the interview. Unexpected and really hard unless you have experience as a surveyor or architect.   View Answers (2)
    60k starting as a trainee. 75k after 1 year. Edison. Done.

Technical Specialist Scientist IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in March 2013.

You will need to fill out a profile and cover all areas of responsibilities! Each job is posted for a limited time period so note the time limit for applying for each job. Hiring process can be very slow (3 to 4 months before you hear back about the job you applied for.) You will only have one interview and there will be more than one person interviewing you at the same time (2 to 4 usually). It will be a “dimensional interview” so be prepared for that type of interview. They will ask questions like, describe a time when you had to perform a task and you didn’t have enough time to complete the task. What did you do? They most likely will not look at you too much during the interview because they will be busy writing down your response. Pay attention, if they are not writing while you are responding then, you are off track in regards to the question asked.

It most likely is a professional office environment. The dress code depends on location and job. Most people work in a cubical in the office environment. They have a strong safety culture environment which includes IT safety and no tailgating. Most people working there do not have college degrees. When you accept a job you are stuck in that position for 18 months before you can apply for another job without VP written approval. Overall the people are very nice and a pleasure to work with. You will work there because of the people and the compensation.

Interview Questions
    • It will be a “dimensional interview” so be prepared for that type of interview. They will ask questions like, describe a time when you had to perform a task and you didn’t have enough time to complete the task. What did you do? Describe a time when you had to get a job accomplished and you can not reschedule the work and you are told you are not going to receive parts on time for this planned work, What did you do?   Answer Question
    You can negotiate salary, signing bonus, and moving expenses.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Southern California Edison in September 2013.

Unless you have a law degree or a PhD you need to know an executive for a non Union job.

Interview Questions

Interviewed current and past employees to determine the direction of the company.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

I was contacted by a recruiter several months after I applied. Interviews followed fairly quickly. Was told that they would get back to me "by the end of the week" - never happened. The formal interview was behavioral. One interviewer prefaced each question with "It say:...." then read the question from the script. Felt odd.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to be concerned with safety. Took me by surprise as safety had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in August 2010.

Hired through internal posting which can be quite lengthy, up to many months

Interview Questions
    • Questions are situational type questions with one or two technical questions to weed out the pack   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemead, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of a group situation with panel of employees from the department, including member(s) of hiring committee. Panel consisted of cross section of individuals from different practice areas. Second round consisted of one on one interviews with specific practice area members and management individuals.

Apprentice Instrumentation Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Clemente, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Clemente, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in March 2010.

I applied online. I was then subjected to a review of my resume by keyword search. I got through that stage and was scheduled for a Basic Physics and Electrical Knowledge Test. About 50 people took the test at my testing session. I heard 1000 people tested. I passed it and was scheduled for an interview at San Onofre. I was interviewed by three supervisors, impressed them and about two weeks later got hired.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time when you failed at something. What did you fail at? What did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    Union position, no negotiations.

Project Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Dimas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Phone interview, in person interview, background check, drug test, previous employer verification, and DMV printout.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you were required to attend a meeting with several people to discuss a problem with a project. How did you articulate your point? Were you successful?
      And what was the outcome?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation just an elaboration on the compensation, benefits, and the schedule.
    Then asked if that would be acceptable.

Technical Scientist Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in October 2010.

They go through the interview process even though they already have an employee in mind for the position, makes it hard to advance unless you know someone.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about Performance Measurement even though they don't use it within the department.   Answer Question