Southern California Edison Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Phone screening followed by face-to-face behavioral interview

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Interview questions - The questions are not difficult, they are all scripted, about 6-8 questions, each question comes with sub part.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Planner I - Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

Process will take about 6-8 months. Applied in early October and didn't hear back until before the Christmas break in December. I was then scheduled for a highly technical power grid, architecture and orienteering test - If you make it to this step you BETTER study and take an honest look at your ability to do math you haven't touched in over a decade. This test NOT a joke and its not easy... I Passed... with no experience in any of the topics they covered. (Lucky/God's Will/Fate - whatever you want to call it)

After you pass the test they will let you know within two weeks, then you are set up for the interview about 1-2 months later at headquarters or another location.

The interview itself is nothing out of the ordinary - STAR Behavioral Interviews as expected of Edison. You are scored on all your answers and ranked based on that. THEN all of a sudden they test your technical knowledge in front of managers with maps, calculators, rulers to make sure you're not a fluke. That was the most terrifying part of the test since it is unexpected and they don't tell you beforehand leading up to this point. I am CONVINCED they aren't really testing you on the technicalities of this test, but rather testing your wit and ability to remain focused even though you don't know what you're doing at all. Oh yeah - It's all TIMED.

All in all, the entire interview process was pretty smooth - but definitely challenging. Be ready to really display your strengths because this is the most INCREDIBLY competitive *technical* position for Edison.

I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Taking the timed technical exam during the interview. Unexpected and really hard unless you have experience as a surveyor or architect.   3 Answers

Negotiation

60k starting as a trainee. 75k after 1 year. Edison. Done.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulare, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Tulare, CA).

Interview

My first interview was over the phone with a 3 member panel. They asked simple questions such as what kind of experience had I had with Transmission lines and how I have handled working in a diverse group. Follow up interview was in person and was conducted by 2 people who then went into more detailed questions.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question was How do I feel about working in a diverse group.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered a salary and I asked for more and they were honest and said what was the most they had budgeted for the position.

SmartConnection Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Irvine, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very simple. There were questions set by Edison that the hiring managers are required to ask the interns. It was all behavior and nothing technical. Quite simple interview.

The

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter several months after I applied. Interviews followed fairly quickly. Was told that they would get back to me "by the end of the week" - never happened. The formal interview was behavioral. One interviewer prefaced each question with "It say:...." then read the question from the script. Felt odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to be concerned with safety. Took me by surprise as safety had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Long process, but handled very professionally.

The interview was conducted by a three person panel. They rotated asking questions, and took notes while I gave my answers.

The questions were mostly behavioral in nature, as opposed to discussing my background or resume. I highly recommend that applicants become familiar with the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format of answering interview questions. Come prepared with examples in mind of situations you have faced in your career.

Some of the key questions I remember:

“Tell us about yourself” – This was only opportunity to hit on key aspects of your background, demonstrate knowledge of Edison, why you want the job, why you’re the best candidate, etc.

Safety – There was a question along these lines: “Safety is a big priority for Edison. If you were hired in this position what would you do to ensure a safe working environment.” Be ready to answer this, and to give an example from your background (STAR style).

Multi-Functional Team – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you lead/managed a multi-functional team.

Failure – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you failed at something.

Interview Questions

• Decision Making – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision without having all of the facts.   Answer Question

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online in September 2013 and was contacted in February for an in-person interview. This was a four panel interview. Each person took turns asking me about my resume, experience, education, and also behavioral questions. The person leading the interview had three packets of questions prepared for me. One packet was just personal questions, second packet behavioral questions, and third technical questions.......It took Socal Edison three month to get back to me and tell me I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between precision and accuracy?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of a group situation with panel of employees from the department, including member(s) of hiring committee. Panel consisted of cross section of individuals from different practice areas. Second round consisted of one on one interviews with specific practice area members and management individuals.

Project Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (San Dimas, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview, background check, drug test, previous employer verification, and DMV printout.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were required to attend a meeting with several people to discuss a problem with a project. How did you articulate your point? Were you successful?
      And what was the outcome?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation just an elaboration on the compensation, benefits, and the schedule.
    Then asked if that would be acceptable.

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Southern California Edison (Rosemead, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Very long process. I applied in November 2013 and was asked to come in for an interview in February 2014. In April I was told they had chosen a different candidate.