Southern California Edison

Very Difficult Interview

Engineer II Interview

Engineer II
Alhambra, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Southern California Edison in May 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process took exactly 35 days, from when I applied for the position, all the way to my start date. The background check took one day. Interview process is exactly what other people have advised. It follows a STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result), behavioral-based interviewing.

Interview Question – The questions were very challenging compared to what I am normally used to when it comes to interview questions. However, knowing what others here have advised, I gathered all possible behavioral-based questions on the internet and tailored it to my career experience. Everything I prepared for in advance got asked in the interview, therefore, no surprises (again, depends how determined you are during the preparation process so that you do not encounter any unexpected questions). I do not recall the exact questions but if not most, all of their questions will determine how you approach every situation, what the tasks were, actions you took and the outcome/results.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase is like any other company.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Rosemead, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southern California Edison.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal recruiter, who had discovered my resume on one of the employment websites. The interview process took about an hour and I was approached with an offer fairly quickly after that.

Negotiation Details – The HR person that called me discouraged me from asking for more money so I only asked for $2500 more than the original offer when I really wanted to ask for more. My counter-offer was excepted

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Irwindale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southern California Edison in April 2014.

Interview Details – Entire interview was based on situational events. Tell me about a time when.......etc. How would you conduct a gap analysis and what you would do with that information. Interview panel consisted of two people and was very relaxed, not super formal.

Interview Question – The multiple part questions were difficult to follow. You can take notes when they ask the questions so that helps.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Systems Analyst
Rosemead, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in March 2010.

Interview Details – panel of 2 -3 people with sets of questions about 5-6 pages long. It also involved discussion. Mainly discussion on past experience on company structure, team members, project assignments, budget.

Financial Analyst I Interview

Financial Analyst I
Rosemead, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Southern California Edison in September 2010.

Interview Details – Case study and behavioral interviews

Interview Question – Business case study   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Deputy Director
Rosemead, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in February 2014.

Interview Details – Long process, but handled very professionally.

The interview was conducted by a three person panel. They rotated asking questions, and took notes while I gave my answers.

The questions were mostly behavioral in nature, as opposed to discussing my background or resume. I highly recommend that applicants become familiar with the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format of answering interview questions. Come prepared with examples in mind of situations you have faced in your career.

Some of the key questions I remember:

“Tell us about yourself” – This was only opportunity to hit on key aspects of your background, demonstrate knowledge of Edison, why you want the job, why you’re the best candidate, etc.

Safety – There was a question along these lines: “Safety is a big priority for Edison. If you were hired in this position what would you do to ensure a safe working environment.” Be ready to answer this, and to give an example from your background (STAR style).

Multi-Functional Team – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you lead/managed a multi-functional team.

Failure – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you failed at something.

Interview Question – Decision Making – Be prepared to give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision without having all of the facts.   Answer Question

IT Specialist I Interview

IT Specialist I
Irwindale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in December 2010.

Interview Details – Attended a career event at Cal Poly Pomona and handed the SCE job recruiter my resume. Was contacted about a job a few months later. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager that asked a bunch of informational questions. Had another interview in person with the hiring manager and team member. Asked more informational and behavior questions. Was contacted by HR via phone that I got the job and accepted it. Had to do a drug and background check. Show proof of degrees and current school status. Overall process took a few months.

Interview Questions

Technical Specialist Scientist IV Interview

Technical Specialist Scientist IV
Rosemead, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in March 2013.

Interview Details – You will need to fill out a profile and cover all areas of responsibilities! Each job is posted for a limited time period so note the time limit for applying for each job. Hiring process can be very slow (3 to 4 months before you hear back about the job you applied for.) You will only have one interview and there will be more than one person interviewing you at the same time (2 to 4 usually). It will be a “dimensional interview” so be prepared for that type of interview. They will ask questions like, describe a time when you had to perform a task and you didn’t have enough time to complete the task. What did you do? They most likely will not look at you too much during the interview because they will be busy writing down your response. Pay attention, if they are not writing while you are responding then, you are off track in regards to the question asked.

It most likely is a professional office environment. The dress code depends on location and job. Most people work in a cubical in the office environment. They have a strong safety culture environment which includes IT safety and no tailgating. Most people working there do not have college degrees. When you accept a job you are stuck in that position for 18 months before you can apply for another job without VP written approval. Overall the people are very nice and a pleasure to work with. You will work there because of the people and the compensation.

Interview Question – It will be a “dimensional interview” so be prepared for that type of interview. They will ask questions like, describe a time when you had to perform a task and you didn’t have enough time to complete the task. What did you do? Describe a time when you had to get a job accomplished and you can not reschedule the work and you are told you are not going to receive parts on time for this planned work, What did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate salary, signing bonus, and moving expenses.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor
Rosemead, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Southern California Edison in September 2013.

Interview Details – Unless you have a law degree or a PhD you need to know an executive for a non Union job.

Interview Question – Are you gay ?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Interviewed current and past employees to determine the direction of the company.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Rosemead, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern California Edison in August 2010.

Interview Details – Hired through internal posting which can be quite lengthy, up to many months

Interview Question – Questions are situational type questions with one or two technical questions to weed out the pack   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southern California Edison

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!