Southern Company

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.9

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Company.

I had a one-on-one interview during Career Days at my university. The interview was short, 20-30 minutes. My interviewer was very personable and friendly; the previous evening we had been to a information session about the company, and we had already spent some time talking. The questions asked were all behavioral, focused on problems that I had solved and examples of team work and leadership. Within a week I received an email offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were behavioral; there were no technical questions. The questions were also fairly standard interview questions. I do not remember the questions precisely, but I was asked to give examples of situations where I came up with a solutions, as well as situations in which I worked with a team or took a leadership role.   Answer Question

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southern Company in October 2013.

I was notified via phone call (which I missed) and email that I was a candidate selected to come in an interview for a Maintenance Supervisor position in which I had applied for about 28 days prior. I was given two interview questions in the email and was told there would be up to seven additional questions during the five person panel style interview. I arrived 15 minutes early dressed in business casual which was specified via the email. The office was inviting as well was the HR rep. She introduced herself and explained how the interview would go. She told me who was who and which departments they were from, which also was specified in the email. AS I walked in I was introduced to each managers smiling face and warm personality. It was really an inviting atmosphere. I think they actually want you as relaxed as possible to truly determine how you would fit in. As we began the questions were stacked in order and read in a round robin type style where each person asked one question and then the next after notes were taken. I never felt rushed and was at ease the entire time. The panel was very direct but not stern or stoic.
    They never really gave too much body language feedback one way or the other so it was hard to tell how my answers were being taken.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask anything out of the ordinary. Just good old fashion preparedness is all you really need. Everything is structured and to the letter. The HR rep facilitates well.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

They question you your IT skills and have you troubleshoot on the spot.

Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Southern Company in August 2013.

Was interviewed by 3 in RAS group. Most of an hour's interview were technique questions, covering basic idea of BS, concepts of volatility, knowledge about fixed income securities. Also discussed the previous projects, and asked some technique questions about the projects. One or Two behavior questions, not very tough. After passing the interview, then you would start the background check, which needs about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Which is better, long-term volatility or short-term volatility   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baxley, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baxley, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Company.

They had a workshop the day before a career fair at my school. So I went to both and got offered an interview at the career fair. At the interview I was really well rehearsed on what the company offered because of the workshop. I came off as really outgoing, the don't get very much of that. It took about 2 month to get an offer. Calling them shows your interest so it is not a crime to call them. I called at least once every two weeks, and always remember a thank you letter after your interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for this company?   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southern Company in March 2013.

First interview was with HR, asked simple questions about IT and the IT security. If the person passes then the second interview is the technical interview. Need to know about networking and IT security related topics.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember but it was something about analyst software tools   Answer Question
    They offered a salary along with other monetary perks that come with the company. I accepted.

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Company.

Was an interview with 3 people

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Company in February 2013.

They called me 2 months after I applied. First phone interview, then a panel interview of 4 people. Very nice people, technical and behavioral questions. Technicals were easy, basic accounting. Also, you do an EXCEL and PPT exam, basics too. Then, a final interview to see if I can be a good fit to the team. I got the offer.
    Very nice, and respectful ppl

Interview Questions
    • Strengths, weakness? How do you calculate CASH FLOW From operations?   Answer Question

I moved to another city for personal reasons

Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southern Company in October 2012.

Was invited for on campus interview. Interviewer was nice and actually kept in contact with me after interview. Was asked simple interview questions, such as "Why should Southern Company hire you", "How have you handled difficult coworkers" etc. Ended up not meeting employment need (I was an ME and they needed EE's)

Construction Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Company in February 2012.

Phone contact asking if I would be interested in a job; job description was sent via e:mail; second phone contact that set up interview; interview; background check and drug screens; report to work