Southern Company

33 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview Details – I had a one-on-one interview during Career Days at my university. The interview was short, 20-30 minutes. My interviewer was very personable and friendly; the previous evening we had been to a information session about the company, and we had already spent some time talking. The questions asked were all behavioral, focused on problems that I had solved and examples of team work and leadership. Within a week I received an email offering me a position.

Interview Question – All of the questions were behavioral; there were no technical questions. The questions were also fairly standard interview questions. I do not remember the questions precisely, but I was asked to give examples of situations where I came up with a solutions, as well as situations in which I worked with a team or took a leadership role.   Answer Question

Planning Analyst Interview

Planning Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Southern Company in January 2009.

Interview Details – Kind of like a firing squad! Very intimidating unfortunately. You have a host of people in the room who are evaluating your interview performance. Could be as many as 6 or 7 interviewers. The interviews have been calling for presentations lately using PowerPoint showing how you would tackle or solve a problem.

Interview Question – Always the same old, how did you handle a difficult or sensitive situation, etc....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you don't have extensive experience, don't even bother trying to negotiate. You may get an extra week or two of vacation but no signing bonuses really. If one, it's small.

IT Support Interview

IT Support

Interviewed at Southern Company

Interview Details – They question you your IT skills and have you troubleshoot on the spot.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern Company in February 2013.

Interview Details – They called me 2 months after I applied. First phone interview, then a panel interview of 4 people. Very nice people, technical and behavioral questions. Technicals were easy, basic accounting. Also, you do an EXCEL and PPT exam, basics too. Then, a final interview to see if I can be a good fit to the team. I got the offer.
Very nice, and respectful ppl

Interview Question – Strengths, weakness? How do you calculate CASH FLOW From operations?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I moved to another city for personal reasons

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Baxley, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview Details – They had a workshop the day before a career fair at my school. So I went to both and got offered an interview at the career fair. At the interview I was really well rehearsed on what the company offered because of the workshop. I came off as really outgoing, the don't get very much of that. It took about 2 month to get an offer. Calling them shows your interest so it is not a crime to call them. I called at least once every two weeks, and always remember a thank you letter after your interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for this company?   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southern Company in March 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was with HR, asked simple questions about IT and the IT security. If the person passes then the second interview is the technical interview. Need to know about networking and IT security related topics.

Interview Question – Can't remember but it was something about analyst software tools   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary along with other monetary perks that come with the company. I accepted.

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Oracle Database Administrator
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview Details – Was an interview with 3 people

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southern Company in June 2010.

Interview Details – The first step in this process is to complete a credential assessment in connection with your resume and application. Your resume is less important than the answers provided on the assessment. You will want to read the position description carefully. You will be asked to provide "specific" and "thorough" descriptions representing your portfolio as a Project Manager, application of PM software solutions, Enterprise Management solutions, industry specific accounting and contract management solutions, nuclear experience, etc. If your qualifications are commensurate with the requirements, you will be notified via email within 3-6 weeks. You will be contacted by phone within seven days of notice. Then each candidate will meet with 4 to 6 senior managers (and senior engineers). Second interviews are rarely scheduled, so try to impress them the first time. The interviewing managers are fairly representative of the company's conservative culture.

Interview Question – Why should we chose you over someone with nuclear experience?   Answer Question

Engineer Co-Op Interview

Engineer Co-Op
Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southern Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Was invited for on campus interview. Interviewer was nice and actually kept in contact with me after interview. Was asked simple interview questions, such as "Why should Southern Company hire you", "How have you handled difficult coworkers" etc. Ended up not meeting employment need (I was an ME and they needed EE's)

Interview Question – What was your greatest failure in a group setting?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southern Company in February 2008.

Interview Details – It was a panel interview process, asked situational questions judged based on your ability to answer them. There was no right or wrong answers to the interview questions, so it's better to prepare for the interview way ahead of time.

Interview Question – How will you handle a team member that has attitude problem and doesn't cooperate.   Answer Question