Southern Illinois University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Faculty Interview

Faculty
Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in January 2010.

Interview Details – Standard university paper application process, phone interview, on-campus interview. Met Dean, Chair, faculty, and current students.

Interview Question – I was asked if I was willing to have lunch regularly with the other faculty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Annoying. I refused to accept the position until I received a salary offer. This seemed to be a baffling request for the college administrators. Finally, the Dean came up with a dollar amount. Took about two weeks. I know the other faculty had a negative view of me at first because of that; who knows how the reason for the delay was conveyed to them? But who takes a job w/o finding out what the pay offer is?!

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant
Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in August 2012.

Interview Details – The chair talk to you first, then you have a short test and background check.

Interview Question – long process of files   Answer Question

Lecturer Interview

Lecturer
Carbondale, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied, and was contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The day after the phone interview, I received a call to offer me the job. It was a very quick process, although the paperwork took a while to come through.

Interview Question – How do you teach to students with a variety of skill sets and backgrounds?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Library Assistant Interview

Library Assistant
Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in May 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy and simple. The supervisor asked me about myslef and why i thought i was fit for the job. The supervisor was looking for a person who was interesting, great communiation skills and could get along with the people in the department. She was also looking for a person who knew computer systems like excel and word. It was very simply and short.

Interview Questions

Resident Assistant Interview

Resident Assistant
Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in August 2008.

Interview Details – The process was basic and involved multiple stages. The group interview was simple and basically checked your personality. The individual interviews were more personal and involved problem solving skills. The questions were very basic and you merely needed to answer honestly.

Interview Question – What type of tree would you be if you could be any type?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in February 2007.

Interview Details – Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Long hours, DM's are hired straight out of college and not promoted from within. This made for some really unprepared Dm's.
Advice to Senior Management
Hire from within and listen to your store managers. Don't treat your store managers like children. A degree does not qualify you to be a DM and hiring them so young is leaving your company open to potential lawsuits.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Advanced Clerical Interview

Advanced Clerical

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Southern Illinois University.

Interview Details – I applied for a different job there, but received a phone call asking if I would consider other employment with them. Use a contractual position to get my foot in the door and then move on and up from there.

Interview Question – Same remedial questions as any other interview... Nothing that had not been asked of me before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation salary wise, but I was able to work my hours as I wanted. 7:30-4:00/8:00-4:30.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southern Illinois University in July 2010.

Interview Details – It's best to know someone in the department, it made getting hired really easy,

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – NO

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Southern Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern Illinois University interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Southern Illinois University employees and interview candidates.