Southern Illinois University

Updated Sep 29, 2014
Updated Sep 29, 2014

2.7

Graduate Assistant Interview

Very complimentary job interview process. Non-biased and very inclusive staff. There were several opportunities that were presented to me in regards to promotion, as well as substantial opportunities to build on my resume.

Office Support Specialist Interview

Apply on-line at school website. Make an account. Fill out an online application. Find the job you are applying for then submit your information. Find out the testing date for your job and set up an appointment with HR. When job closes and you are picked, the specific department calls for an interview -- they have to have a minimum of three applicants. If they are not happy with the first three then they recieve the next three. etc.

None unless you are Faculty

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Illinois University.

Graduate assistant is just for graduate students in the school of medicine. Preparing the GRE Scores and transcripts, personal statement and application fee. The interview is via skype or phone if you are international applicants.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in August 2012.

The chair talk to you first, then you have a short test and background check.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in May 2012.

I applied, and was contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The day after the phone interview, I received a call to offer me the job. It was a very quick process, although the paperwork took a while to come through.

Interview Questions
    • How do you teach to students with a variety of skill sets and backgrounds?   Answer Question
    There was no room to negotiate.

Program Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southern Illinois University in April 2010.

There was a 2 day interview process. Interviewed with all staff and faculty for program. Also, interviewed with Program Chair, School Dean, and HR Director. There was a teaching presentation. The interview members were both in person and on a telecom system. The organization paid for all travel expenses (for the interview).

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in January 2010.

Standard university paper application process, phone interview, on-campus interview. Met Dean, Chair, faculty, and current students.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was willing to have lunch regularly with the other faculty.   Answer Question
    Annoying. I refused to accept the position until I received a salary offer. This seemed to be a baffling request for the college administrators. Finally, the Dean came up with a dollar amount. Took about two weeks. I know the other faculty had a negative view of me at first because of that; who knows how the reason for the delay was conveyed to them? But who takes a job w/o finding out what the pay offer is?!

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in May 2009.

The interview was very easy and simple. The supervisor asked me about myslef and why i thought i was fit for the job. The supervisor was looking for a person who was interesting, great communiation skills and could get along with the people in the department. She was also looking for a person who knew computer systems like excel and word. It was very simply and short.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in August 2008.

The process was basic and involved multiple stages. The group interview was simple and basically checked your personality. The individual interviews were more personal and involved problem solving skills. The questions were very basic and you merely needed to answer honestly.

Interview Questions
    • What type of tree would you be if you could be any type?   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Illinois University in February 2007.

Pros
    Great pay and benefits.
    Cons
    Long hours, DM's are hired straight out of college and not promoted from within. This made for some really unprepared Dm's.
    Advice to Senior Management
    Hire from within and listen to your store managers. Don't treat your store managers like children. A degree does not qualify you to be a DM and hiring them so young is leaving your company open to potential lawsuits.