Southern Nuclear

3.1

Systems Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern Nuclear.

One in person interview with a panel (this was the team I would be working for). While this is a very corporate environment the team really allowed me to express my creativity and, end the end, I was offered the position because they were open to hiring a new voice.

Interview Questions
    • The interview mostly focused on my experiences in college, how I would handle certain scenarios, and a briefing of my skill set. I was asked to give an example of a time I engineered a seemingly impossible situation. My response was creative and true to real-life experiences. They weren't as interested in the solution as they were my thought process.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in May 2013.

Applied for position posted online. Was phoned for an interview a couple months later. There were no questions in the interview that asked anything about what I actually knew about Engineering. All questions pertained to how I interacted with people. 2 weeks passed when I received an email stating they had not decided on who they were going to hire. A few days later someone from HR called me to tell me my min salary was too high. (This was entered on my application I initially filled out.) I explained that I had simply put down my current salary. She told my the max they could pay was $20k less than what I listed. I agreed to the cut in order to gain a permanent job. After this conversation, I did not hear from them for 2 more weeks. I then received an email telling me would not be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected part was the lack of interest in my knowledge of Engineering.   Answer Question

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in June 2010.

Very standard interview process complete with situational interview style questions, personality test, background check, and a drug test to gain unescorted nuclear plant access.

Didn't negotiate

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in February 2008.

The interview process did not take long. Everyone was professional and friendly. I received an email confirming time and date. I was assigned a hostess who treated me to lunch and gave me a plant tour. She also answered any questions that I had and gave me encouraging words.

Intern Interview

The process was fairly simple. Online application and phone interview. The interview was just a few behavioral questions with HR person, not bad at all. The best part of the internship is that housing is paid for - which is super great!

Performance Improvement Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in April 2011.

I was scheduled for an interview and was not told what to expect until about 5 minutes before it started. There was a panel of three interviewers and someone from HR who just watched. Most of the questions were pretty standard: Tell me about a time when... You went against the norm, you had a problem when working on a group project, you showed leadership skills.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you showed leadership skills.   Answer Question

Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in November 2010.

First apply via the website, then wait for someone in HR to contact you. I could not find a way to contact someone directly about my submitted application, so I waited to hear from somebody. Once they contact you, everything moves fast. In less than a week, I was on site to take tests and interview. Tests are basically aptitude tests. The interview consisted of three person panel, one person from HR, one from Training, and one from Operations. Best advice from me is to go prepared with examples on how you can perform under pressure. The interviewers were very polite and easy to speak to. They did not try to trip you up in questions, but asked tough situational questions to see/hear your response. Overall it was a great experience.

They will call about two weeks later with an offer or to decline you employment.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of how you solved a problem where there was no procedure.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southern Nuclear in June 2010.

The interview process is very casual and in a relaxed setting. Most interview questions are very straight forward with a higher subjective answer bank than objective. Management is eager to know the real you, your real experiences and your real opinions. This company relies on the diversity of its workforce to move forward and continually improve. Try to think outside the box when you answer "how" something could be done. Remember, this is a nuclear power plant so Safety is Top Priority. Let that show in all your answers. Be open to change and eager to learn. Maintain eye contact. Positive body language and strong eye contact are high positives.

Interview Questions
    • Your supervising a group of 20 plus employees. How will they know how important safety is to you?   View Answer
    • Senior Management has just announced a process change that will effect your workforce. How will you gain the commitment of your workforce?   View Answer
    I counter offered their initial offer and accepted their second offer. Be careful though, this management team will not always offer a second time.