Southern Progress Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southern Progress

Computer Support - Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southern Progress (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

Two interviews - arranged via email. Met with immediate supervisor; then met with department manager. Discussed the types of clients on which my business was based, and asked if I had clients with whom they could communicate for references. I gave them a list of six established companies who were locally available for reference. We discussed the progression of the printing industry from early phototypesetting equipment to the current computer-based model they wished to implement at Southern Progress.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question: had I ever taught clients about computer software for publishing? No, at that time I had never been asked to develop training classes; however, I offered to develop a training program for initial training for them to review.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a direct offer with no room for salary negotiation; however, I did get a promise that I would never be required to work overtime without advance notice.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Progress (Birmingham, AL) in May 2012.

Interview

First, I should say I interviewed in 2012, and I hear they do video interviews now for the fellowships (where you record a video and send it to them and they don't actually interview you), so I don't know if my experience is helpful. But basically there were two interviews. The first was a phone interview with HR, and she didn't even tell me which branch of SPC I was applying for. She seemed really hung up on if I knew InDesign, etc. I'll tell you the editorial jobs don't use software in any complicated way for a millennial, so just say you do. Then I had a second interview (by phone) with the woman who'd be my manager and another woman in the department. They were very standard questions. I'd say, warm and bubbly goes a long way here. This company is based in the South and is almost entirely women. It has to help if you feel like you would fit into the friendly, outgoing Southern culture. Also, if you go in person, I'd suggest wearing some color. Obviously, dress professionally, but this isn't a law office. Some personality is good. I don't actually consider myself extremely outgoing or a fashionista--I probably lucked out having a phone interview. These are just based on my observations seeing other successful candidates while there.

Interview Questions

• How are you at handling multiple things at once / a heavy workload.   1 Answer