Southern Wine & Spirits

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.6

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits.

At his stage, the recruiter will review your resume, and gauge whether you fit the requirements of the company. Be prepared to discuss your background, education and experience; you will be required to provide and detail relevant information about your professional past. A time that is mutually acceptable by both parties may be set for the next stage.This second interview involves meeting your prospective superior(s) and possibly other employees.
    The department head, or the individual in the company to whom you will be responsible, will further investigate the depth and breadth of your professional skills and determine whether you are the right applicant for the position in question.

Retail Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in January 2015.

The District Manager reviewed my resume with me sitting across from him and asked a few questions. Then he began reading from a list of questions that you usually see on sales aptitude tests. I read reviews that this position offered a salary, bonus, and gas allowance. He explained that because Southern didn't have a lot a national name brands they did offer a salary and with different sales bonus'. No gas allowance is available but I should look forward to my IRS tax refund check. The interview lasted 35 minutes and with him telling me HR will get back to me quickly because this was an open position and they needed to fill it right away. I said I would need to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. I never heard from Southern Wines & Spirits again.

Interview Questions
    • When you walk into a room full of people you don't know how do you interact?   Answer Question

Trade Development Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in December 2014.

I was called right away after I applied by the Hiring Manager (a VP) to set up an interview for the following week. When the interview kicked off, the position was described as a manager position that would be replacing an administrative role that didn't work out. I inquired as to the title since the posting was for a Director role and I wasn't prepared to take a step back. He breezed over it and said it could be worked out. I had already read the mostly negative interviews from employees on glass door so I was walking into this hopeful that they had worked out the kinks and were a good employer. I intended to uncover that tactfully during the interview process. Most of the interview, the hiring manager talked about their company and his career. He didn't really have many questions for me at all. Overall, he was very professional and I learned a lot about the company. Near the end of the interview, he asked if I would share my salary to see if I was in the right range. I did and he said that I was one of three candidates in the running and that he would contact me by the following Monday or Tuesday to let me know whether he wanted me to go to Raleigh to meet with his boss or if I wasn't going to be selected. I was surprised that there wasn't a test or any other process before being sent to meet with the top guy.

I never received a phone call. I followed up with a note once again thanking him for his time and expressing interest in hearing back from him. Nothing. It would have been nice since I had taken time out of my schedule and off of work to at least take 2 minutes to call me back or send me an email, especially sine this was a high-level position. I think some companies have become too impersonal and don't keep in mind that job candidates are forming an opinion about their company by their actions and behavior. My opinion is not good and their ratings on this site are probably accurate.

Interview Questions
    • He only asked me what questions I had about the company and the role. No questions about my experience.   Answer Question

Wine Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in December 2014.

It took about two months from the time I applied to the time I received an interview. The woman interviewing me said the positions needed to be filled "last week" so I was wondering why it took so long to hear back from them. We spent about an hour talking about the job role, and while I had significant sales experience, she stated that without restaurant experience, it wouldn't be an ideal place to start within the company. I was slightly frustrated, because if that was required, why would I have been contacted at all? She was recruited out of college for the same role, so maybe that was not the case at the time.

She was very kind, and upfront about the job expectation. The holidays are the busiest time of the year, so if you like to take vacation then, this would not be a good fit. She was also upfront about having to buy product to make goals, and how sometimes you have to sell product that isn't very good and the customers do not want it.

Ideally, one would start out in merchandising to learn the products and the industry before moving into sales.

To be completely honest, by the time I had gotten the interview, I was pretty disillusioned with the company just by reading reviews on this website. I feel that if I had not done my research, I would have tried incredibly hard to get this job. I am not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that I was talked out of this company before I even got there. I really didn't try as hard as I normally would have during the interview, and I think it showed. She recommended other roles to me as I left.

I was not contacted whatsoever after the interview, and I thought that was in bad taste. A phone call or an email would have been polite and professional.

Reviews of companies do need to be taken with a grain of salt. If you are looking for something bad or good about a company, you will find it, based on your filter.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very typical interview. I don't believe anything caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Chain Sales Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in November 2014.

Filled out Application and submitted resume online, and was called back for an interview within the week. Interview was panel style within 3 regional sales managers. Very comfortable setting and described that there were only 6 questions to ask and then got started. lasted about 1 hour. I was told that they will get back to me with information over the next week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time where you were able to be very creative, How do you deal with a unhappy costumer, Tell of a time where something went wrong and what you would have done differently, How do you plan for having a lot of tasks that need to be taken care of, Explain of a time where you were in a team leader position where a positive outcome was the end result and your role within the experience, They also asked what kind of wine and cocktails I enjoyed and brand names of them.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in November 2014.

The hiring process started with an online application. I heard back within 3 days of submitting.

After hearing back I did a brief phone interview with the hiring manager, he liked what I had to say and it proceeded to an onsite interview a week later.

During the interview he asked me about liquor knowledge mixed with basic interviewing questions (tell me a time when..What is your greatest strength...How did you handle a difficult customer)

He then let me know there would be a second round of interview with a district manager and himself.

I was called a little over 4 days later with an appreciation for my general attitude and to my surprise, an offer for the job.

Now, this is sales, so I fully expected to negotiate my offer. I will detail that offer below, as I hope it will benefit some of you when "negotiating"

Base salary- 30k (this was about 10-15 k less than i was expecting as a qualified candidate)
    Commission Structure- Up to 800 a month (9,600 a year) in incentives paid by the company
    Car allowance- 550/month (they expect you to use your own vehicle, this is a total compensation for mileage, gas and wear and tear)
    Medical/dental/401k- Not sure of the details, the offer letter didn't specify

To be fair, he let me know liquor suppliers, distillers ect. provided significant monthly bonuses that could offer extra compensation of up to 1500 based on his personal earnings as a salesman.

Upon seeing this, I was disappointed in the overall offer. I tried to negotiate, and sent an email back to HR with the corrections (salary increase) I hoped to see through. This was followed up with a phone call within 24 hours from the same hiring manager, explain that my salary expectation (40k) was nearing a managers salary and it was entirely unrealistic for the position applied.

They were NOT willing to negotiate anything, at all. Even though I was told to be the hiring managers top selection. This part of the process left a bitter taste in my mouth, although I understood his position. To elaborate, sales is defined by negotiation, I figured doing so would show that skill-set, and illustrate good faith on their end. I will mention that even if my salary requirements were met, I would be taking a fairly significant pay cut.

Although the offer letter had a 5 day window, he wanted an answer on the phone. I see that as fairly unprofessional, but understand he wanted to position hired as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have liquor knowledge? Please rate it on a scale of 1-10. Based on your rating, what is the difference between burbon and whiskey? Which is the driest wine out of these four types? What is the major differences in these three types of tequila.   View Answer

The salary was well below the market average and even well below what glass door has to say about salaried sales position in the company as an average. I expected around 45k, and was offered close to 30.

Sales Representative Interview

At a career fair at my university they first talked to everyone who was waiting in line. We then were each selected upon their choice as to whether or not we would receive an interview in the later time slot. After the interview few were invited to the Company's meet and greet.

Inside Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in October 2014.

Contacted initially regarding the available position. Was contacted right on time which was awesome. Was scheduled to conduct a more in dept interview which was very thorough. This company obviously takes their time to hire the right talent.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a lot of second and third level questions pertaining to experience. Not many employers go that deep. It was a challenge but very refreshing.   Answer Question

On/Off Premise Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in September 2014.

I got an initial phone interview and the company asked me to drive to them over two weeks later for the actual interview. I drove about 2 hours to the office and arrived ten minutes early just to be sure I was on time. I waited 45 minutes in their office and was finally called in for the interview. When I entered the room there were three interviewers and they all have me their business cards. They spent the next 5 minutes reading over my resume. They finally began the interview by explaining to me more information about the job. Everything they told me was positive and the information was good. Then they asked me a few questions about myself and my experiences. When they asked if I had any questions for them I told them that they had answered all of my questions and thought for a minute to come up with another. They seemed incredibly turned off by this. The interview concluded and they seemed impressed with my answers and told me that I would hear from them after a few more interviews and a background check. I sent a follow up email the next day and I never heard back from the company at all.

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in September 2014.

The initial interview started out as a phone interview. It was somewhat of an unusual interview with a lot of unusual questions. Questions were in the realm of alcohol of course, however, other questions revolved around using past experiences in reference to previous jobs. I went on to a face to face interview. There was some role-play situations and a situation to test my mathematical skills. Overall the interview was easy-going and interactive. According to the hiring manager, it is quite difficult to continue on past the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you fix your car (broken) without using or calling a mechanic.   Answer Question