Southern Wine & Spirits Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits.

At his stage, the recruiter will review your resume, and gauge whether you fit the requirements of the company. Be prepared to discuss your background, education and experience; you will be required to provide and detail relevant information about your professional past. A time that is mutually acceptable by both parties may be set for the next stage.This second interview involves meeting your prospective superior(s) and possibly other employees.
The department head, or the individual in the company to whom you will be responsible, will further investigate the depth and breadth of your professional skills and determine whether you are the right applicant for the position in question.

Other Interview Reviews for Southern Wine & Spirits

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in November 2014.

The hiring process started with an online application. I heard back within 3 days of submitting.

After hearing back I did a brief phone interview with the hiring manager, he liked what I had to say and it proceeded to an onsite interview a week later.

During the interview he asked me about liquor knowledge mixed with basic interviewing questions (tell me a time when..What is your greatest strength...How did you handle a difficult customer)

He then let me know there would be a second round of interview with a district manager and himself.

I was called a little over 4 days later with an appreciation for my general attitude and to my surprise, an offer for the job.

Now, this is sales, so I fully expected to negotiate my offer. I will detail that offer below, as I hope it will benefit some of you when "negotiating"

Base salary- 30k (this was about 10-15 k less than i was expecting as a qualified candidate)
    Commission Structure- Up to 800 a month (9,600 a year) in incentives paid by the company
    Car allowance- 550/month (they expect you to use your own vehicle, this is a total compensation for mileage, gas and wear and tear)
    Medical/dental/401k- Not sure of the details, the offer letter didn't specify

To be fair, he let me know liquor suppliers, distillers ect. provided significant monthly bonuses that could offer extra compensation of up to 1500 based on his personal earnings as a salesman.

Upon seeing this, I was disappointed in the overall offer. I tried to negotiate, and sent an email back to HR with the corrections (salary increase) I hoped to see through. This was followed up with a phone call within 24 hours from the same hiring manager, explain that my salary expectation (40k) was nearing a managers salary and it was entirely unrealistic for the position applied.

They were NOT willing to negotiate anything, at all. Even though I was told to be the hiring managers top selection. This part of the process left a bitter taste in my mouth, although I understood his position. To elaborate, sales is defined by negotiation, I figured doing so would show that skill-set, and illustrate good faith on their end. I will mention that even if my salary requirements were met, I would be taking a fairly significant pay cut.

Although the offer letter had a 5 day window, he wanted an answer on the phone. I see that as fairly unprofessional, but understand he wanted to position hired as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have liquor knowledge? Please rate it on a scale of 1-10. Based on your rating, what is the difference between burbon and whiskey? Which is the driest wine out of these four types? What is the major differences in these three types of tequila.   View Answer

The salary was well below the market average and even well below what glass door has to say about salaried sales position in the company as an average. I expected around 45k, and was offered close to 30.

Sales Representative Interview

At a career fair at my university they first talked to everyone who was waiting in line. We then were each selected upon their choice as to whether or not we would receive an interview in the later time slot. After the interview few were invited to the Company's meet and greet.

Sales Representative Interview

phone interview, a few follow up interviews. process took about a month. The lady who runs hr was very friendly and made me feel at ease with interview process. She even called her son in the middle of it to ask about his band, because i played bass.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits.

I went through 3 interviews. They asked specific questions on how I would handle situations - for example, what if a buyer is threatening to pull your products because of price - how would you respond? I was interviewed by the hiring manager, division manager, and VP. The culture was not obvious in the interview, but later found it to be catty and cliquey.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't a question that was too difficult. They were your basic questions about sales, experience, how I've handled things in the past, what are my biggest strengths and weaknesses, what were some of my success stories, what was something that I wish I had done differently, why should they hire me over everyone else, etc.   Answer Question
    They ask you what you made in your previous jobs when you apply, so they have that information already. Shoot high, because they will work you to the bone.

Sales Representative Interview

Single interview with General Sales Manager. Lasted one hour, followed up by an additional phone conversation that led to an offer for employment. Quick process, people were all very friendly. I would recommend reading up on their portfolio vs their competitors before going into the interview. Also express a passion for sales.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits.

Recruited out of college by E&J Gallo so my experience is different than the normal SWS interview process. Normally there is at least 2 or 3 interviews. Initial meeting interview at a college recruiting event, which is your only time to make a good impression to get a second interview. Followed by the second interview and then the third, which is normally at the distributor or they take you out to a nice restaurant in the city to wine and dine you.

Interview Questions
    • General sales questions about how would you convince a customer to buy if they've already said no. Strengths and weakness, best attributes, etc   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed. Take it or leave it.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits.

multiple interviews, long wait between

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southern Wine & Spirits in December 2009.

i do not remember