Southwest Airlines Customer Service Agent Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2014

2.5

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Job was advertised mid July, to which I applied. I was contacted by e-mail 1-2 days later to schedule a phone interview, though they could not accommodate a phone interview for another 2 days. Phone interview was informal, mostly questions about myself or my resume, and advised what my job would entail, including pay which was non negotiable (and very low.. faaaaar less than my previous job). The interviewer on the phone was very friendly and advised I had passed and will be scheduled for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was booked for 4 days later. The face to face interview was ok, 4 people interviewed and lots of general interview questions about my past jobs and about me, luckily I'd done my homework and expected what I would be asked. A week and a half later I received a call advising I had passed to the next step - background checks. They work with another company to do background checks, the company was easy to work with, but if you don't reply straight away they will bombard you with e-mails and calls until you do. There were also drug tests to do and later on fingerprinting once the background checks were complete. I was flown to Phoenix for fingerprinting, this was fun since you are getting sent to fly for free! Back within the same day, then generally it was a week later I was sent to the airport to get my airport badge and sign a few forms. It wasn't until 4 weeks later you are once again sent to Phoenix to finish your airport badge forms and a meet and greet other new hires from yours and other stations. My start date was a week after that, 2 months of playing the waiting game... wow, too long for some people, especially ones in desperate need of money asap. I heard and read a lot of people cannot wait this long for job processing and accept other jobs because they are far quicker in getting you started.

I do wonder now if it was worth going through all this to work there, the employee culture they so proudly advertise may well be a lie, though it may just be that Southwest has just changed. At the moment I do not feel the work environment is as I've read. Since I've started I feel quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Already I sense a lot of gossip within the station. Apparently its ok to get yelled at by a customer, yet they are renowned for putting employees before customers. If you make a mistake or don't do everything by the book, you can be terminated. Apparently they don't mind losing smart people, and there doesn't seem to be any leeway in making a mistake. Termination and warning letters is something they seem to like quoting. Wow I wonder how long I will stay here for...

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
    After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
    Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
    The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
    After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Questions
    • Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer
    No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2014.

Applied online and received a call about a week later for a phone interview and then a week later was invited to Denver for a F2F. It was short probably only 15 minutes or so. There is a manager in the room as well but she didn't ask any questions she was just observing. Then a week later was called back to do fingerprinting and drug testing. Yes its a casual airline but I saw people at the interview who were not looking professional, so dress nice.

Interview Questions
    • What is one policy or procedure at your current job that you disagree with?   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Questions
    • Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Non negotiable Union

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Sent resume online via SWA website. Was sent an email with a date and time on when they would call. Received a phone call which consisted of prior experience, why Southwest, what the job entails, uniform sizes, salary, etc. Was not offered a f2f, but was told someone would be contacting me, either way, within 2 weeks. From everything I've read, if you're not offered the f2f during the phone interview, you probably won't be invited to the f2f. I'll wait and see if I get the, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer kept asking if I was aware of what the job entailed!   View Answers (2)

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview / application process was lengthily. Phone interview first, then a phone offer for a face to face. Time frame between the two was about a month. My face to face interview went very well, however, I was told the department went with the family member of an employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

You apply online, you go through a phone interview then you are scheduled for a in-person interview. They will take your finger prints, drug test you and then send off for your background check. You have to provide your employment history for the past 10 years. If you pass all of that then you will receive an offer over the phone from one of their recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Will you have a issue with not taking any time off or calling out during your first 6 months of probation?   Answer Question
    When they say flexible hours they definitely mean it. You are at the bottom of the totem pole so you will receive the hours no one wants. Most likely those are evenings and weekends. Sometimes you will even have to work mandatory shifts (2 shifts in one day). 16 hour days are common during your 6 months of probation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

I applied online and about a week later I got a phone call from SWA. The lady on the phone went over the salary and job description. She then asked "why I wanted to work for SWA" after that she asked if I wanted to do a 1:1. I accepted and a week later I interviewed. The interview process was fast, get you in and get you out. I was there for an hour and saw 5 people come in and out and they were interviewing for 2 days. The interview-1:1 the interview had my resume and read over it and asked the usual, "tell me a little more about this job and that job." The questions I was asked was. "why do you want to work for SWA & out of all you jobs what was your least favorite and why & have you flown with SWA?" other than that just a lot of small talk and laughing. After that they took copies of my diploma and ID's and fingerprinted me. Like I said it was a very fast process and was in and out, not the funny crazy fun time I was expecting, but hey they are busy I understand. They said they would get back to me in 3 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.