Southwest Airlines Customer Service Agent Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.2

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview

Job was advertised mid July, to which I applied. I was contacted by e-mail 1-2 days later to schedule a phone interview, though they could not accommodate a phone interview for another 2 days. Phone interview was informal, mostly questions about myself or my resume, and advised what my job would entail, including pay which was non negotiable (and very low.. faaaaar less than my previous job). The interviewer on the phone was very friendly and advised I had passed and will be scheduled for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was booked for 4 days later. The face to face interview was ok, 4 people interviewed and lots of general interview questions about my past jobs and about me, luckily I'd done my homework and expected what I would be asked. A week and a half later I received a call advising I had passed to the next step - background checks. They work with another company to do background checks, the company was easy to work with, but if you don't reply straight away they will bombard you with e-mails and calls until you do. There were also drug tests to do and later on fingerprinting once the background checks were complete. I was flown to Phoenix for fingerprinting, this was fun since you are getting sent to fly for free! Back within the same day, then generally it was a week later I was sent to the airport to get my airport badge and sign a few forms. It wasn't until 4 weeks later you are once again sent to Phoenix to finish your airport badge forms and a meet and greet other new hires from yours and other stations. My start date was a week after that, 2 months of playing the waiting game... wow, too long for some people, especially ones in desperate need of money asap. I heard and read a lot of people cannot wait this long for job processing and accept other jobs because they are far quicker in getting you started. I do wonder now if it was worth going through all this to work there, the employee culture they so proudly advertise may well be a lie, though it may just be that Southwest has just changed. At the moment I do not feel the work environment is as I've read. Since I've started I feel quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Already I sense a lot of gossip within the station. Apparently its ok to get yelled at by a customer, yet they are renowned for putting employees before customers. If you make a mistake or don't do everything by the book, you can be terminated. Apparently they don't mind losing smart people, and there doesn't seem to be any leeway in making a mistake. Termination and warning letters is something they seem to like quoting. Wow I wonder how long I will stay here for...

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Linthicum, MD) in May 2010.

Interview

Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter. After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview. Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude. The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer. After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Questions

• Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a call about a week later for a phone interview and then a week later was invited to Denver for a F2F. It was short probably only 15 minutes or so. There is a manager in the room as well but she didn't ask any questions she was just observing. Then a week later was called back to do fingerprinting and drug testing. Yes its a casual airline but I saw people at the interview who were not looking professional, so dress nice.

Interview Questions

• What is one policy or procedure at your current job that you disagree with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Albuquerque, NM) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview was job fair style. Candidates sat in a room of about 70 other candidates waiting to be interviewed. Interviewed in order which you arrived. Interview itself was fairly easy. Asked questions about your experience and prior scenarios wherw you had to demonstrate certain skills/ customer service or otherwise. If you passed that they took you to a conference room to join the others that haf passes where they took your fingerprints and began the background check. I was asked to drug test the same day. Waiting to hear back. Its been 2 weeks. Said it could take up to 4.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted the following day by a recruiter. It was quick, and actually - I didn't realize we were actually having an interview as it was more like a conversation. Happy to say - He invited me at that time to attend the F2F interview approx 1 1/2 weeks later. When I arrived at the hotel for the interview, It was immediately a fun environment including a person taking photos with SW props etc. We waiting in a large room with chairs for our turn to interview, while current employees told stories about life working for Southwest and answered questions. The actual interview itself took about 15 minutes - and to me anyway, again.. It was more like having a conversation with my interviewers. We then went on to fingerprinting and a drug test onsite.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest Airlines?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate - I am just happy to be accepted to the TEAM !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

1) Submitted my resume and application online 2) Within a couple days later I was emailed by a recruiter to complete some missing information (my full middle name) on my application and to give her a call back once I've done so. 3) I called her back, but no answer so I left a voicemail. Still no reply, so I called back the next morning and she answered and wanting to schedule a phone interview later that afternoon. 4) I completed the phone interview. It lasted about 10 minutes, she was sounded a little monotonous but I'm assuming it was because she was busy typing notes, reviewing my past work history and listening to my responses simultaneous. Due to other candidates, she said she would call back within a week with a decision. 5) I received a call the following day and wanting to schedule a F2F interview in 2 days. 6) F2F interview at the airport with 2 recruiters from the People Department, both gentlemen were really nice and welcoming; one of the least intimidating interviews i've been on, mostly because i did my homework as well and expected all of the questions. 7) They had me wait outside my literally 1 minute and they came out with a decision to move me forward in the process and made it clear that it was not an "official" offer. They pointed me to the office where i get my fingerprints and badge information done. Also in the airport. 8) This was a Friday and the lady doing my fingerprints said that they will get back to me early next week. 9) Today is Monday and I got a call to schedule my drug testing. 10) Now I wait on pins and needles for all of my background to come back. (Not too worried, but I've heard that the background check is pretty thorough and lengthy.) **Overall the process was very fast compared to others that I have been reading; possibly due to the fact that I am a Veteran...? It's the waiting game that is ultimately the only hard part about the process, but definitely keeping my hopes up!

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview

Interview / application process was lengthily. Phone interview first, then a phone offer for a face to face. Time frame between the two was about a month. My face to face interview went very well, however, I was told the department went with the family member of an employee.

Anonymous Employee in Bwi Airport, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Bwi Airport, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Questions

• Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Negotiation

Non negotiable Union

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2012.

Interview

Sent resume online via SWA website. Was sent an email with a date and time on when they would call. Received a phone call which consisted of prior experience, why Southwest, what the job entails, uniform sizes, salary, etc. Was not offered a f2f, but was told someone would be contacting me, either way, within 2 weeks. From everything I've read, if you're not offered the f2f during the phone interview, you probably won't be invited to the f2f. I'll wait and see if I get the, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Interview Questions

• Interviewer kept asking if I was aware of what the job entailed!   2 Answers