Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very quick. I applied in April, the phone interview was a week later, and it took 5 more days to get call for the f2f interview. The f2f interview was about as great as an interview can be. There were three of us interviewing that day, and we were, as they put it, "set up for success," before the interview. A flight attendant came into the room and coached us on how to do well in the interview; what to say, what they were looking for, and some other basic qualifications. Once in the interview, that man was the interviewer. It was very relaxed, very comfortable, and the interviewers are VERY personable. They are looking for great customer service!

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions

• Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on line. It was 10 months before I heard from them. Got an email to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to understand the inherent stress in an interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. I tried to answer the question fully and looked for opportunities to inject my personality. Three business days later, I got an email to arrange the in person interview. I was flown at SWA's expense to Phoenix. SWA covers all transportation when you arrive at the interviewing city. Three interviewers couldn't have made it easier. They were very friendly and gave a lot of positive visual feedback. I knew I was doing well. Then came two simple agility tests: walk down an aisle of chairs and sit in a jump seat and go through a cardboard cut out the size of an emergency exit. It's sized so you have to bend down and step through. Both were very easy. I was offered a position on the spot.

The most important thing to keep in mind is SW's culture. Be sure to hit/explain how you have/live 1. A Warrior Spirit 2. A Servant's Heart and 3. Have a FUN-loving attitude. I made sure to cover these in my cover letter, phone and in person interviews.

Be sure to smile. Be sure to be outgoing. Whether you know it or not you are being evaluated and watched all the time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between hospitality and customer service?   Answer Question
    • Being a flight attendant, you are considered to be a "first responder" in the event of an emergency. How do you think you would handle that responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is a weakness you have and how will you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • You will be away from home 3-4 days a week, how do you feel about that/how are you going to deal with that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation. It is a union job and you know your starting salary and at what points it goes up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Oakland, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

Southwest FA hiring process is more interested in getting to know you. It's very relaxed. It's a panel of 3 that includes FA, FA Supervisor, and Recruiter. Pretty much ask questions based on the Star Format

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult, interview was more like a conversation. I was asked why I wanted to be a Flight Attendant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Two group interviews. Just say you like customers. The first is in the morning at one of the local HR departments. We call this the people department. After Lunch they explain how difficult and demanding the job really is. Many will leave and those left they will pick between eight and ten to interview.

Interview Questions

• what would you do different as a Southwest Flight Attendant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Received a letter to come for an interview....I had one interview and was hired that day. Went for drug screening and was called for a class date a month later.

Negotiation

Take whatever they offer if you want the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Initial Phone call interview, if passed, they will invite you to a group interview with 25+ people. They are asking questions and going around the room. They are talking turns talking with everyone. They will leave the room and watch you on video from another room to see how you interact. They are looking for outgoing talkative people. Look sharp! Ladies wear a suit too! Look like a flight attendant! Full hair and Make up. Guys look shgarp! No facial hair. Short hair, clean cut. You SHOULD know that day if they send you to the next step. They may ask you to stay for a one on one, or they will call you back in for a one on on. Don't worry if you don't find out that day. If you don't hear from them in a week. You most likely didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• They use STAR system so be PREPARED! They ask random quesations like tell me about a most difficult customer exprience, most irate customer and how you handled it. They want people who don't need conatant supervision and can get along well with others. NO AND LOW DRAMA. They are focusing on your customer service skills!   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me the inflight class with pay , 30 days in Dallas, three main meals are taken care of, snacks and laundry facilities are not. it was like $1000 total and you don't get paid until you leave. You arent gauranteed to get position until you graduate. Then thats when you get the offer. I think it now starts at $21 something an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Baltimore, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got a call for a phone interview a few months later. Phone interview was very laid back and easy. Asked questions about my previous work experience, as well as why I left former jobs. They sent me on to the next step which was F2F interview. Southwest flies you to your interview and flies you back. Which is a plus in this industry! Interview was easy and laid back. Asked questions about why I want to be a FA, and work for Southwest, etc. Also asked to name a situation in which I had an angry customer and how did I handle it.

Interview Questions

• What would be the most challenging part of working as a Flight Attendant?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume December 2013 and received an email stating I would receive a call with in 2 a weeks. Received the call 3weeks later and it was the actual phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Vague question was" Tell me about customer service. ". Caught me off guard as there was nothing specific regarding the subject . I was informed that I would receive an email if I would go on to the face to face interview.   Answer Question