Southwest Airlines

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Several phone interviews, then face-to-face interview in Dallas. I had a very positive experience meeting a panel of employees from the market planning department in person. Recruiters were very friendly, both on the phone and in person.

Interview Question – Interesting question about the intersection of Southwest and the arts.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Question – Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details – First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Interview Question – Why Southwest?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details – phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Interview Question – nothing out of expectations   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Online Application, Phone Interview then Person to Person Interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – Both the phone interview was general behavioral interview questions and then the person to person interview was basically me thoroughly explaining my experiences that I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted online application, submitted updated resume and "Why Southwest" Essay. Phone interview, then you were flown down for a face to face interview.

Interview Question – It was very much a conversation, nothing out of the expected questions. Make sure when they ask your "weakness" you have one that does not infer with the jobs functions.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewers and managers were looking for the following,
1. Warrior Spirit
2. Servants Heart
3. Fun loving attitude

Negotiation Details – None

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

Dallas, TX

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in April for the Fall internships. Yes, April. They get thousands of applicants so they need a lot of time to process the resumes. I was contacted for a phone interview, and a couple weeks later was contacted to complete an in-person interview at headquarters in Dallas. They flew me down and I had three interviews. These were very different than any I've had before. It was very much based on what my personality fit would be within the company, not just my personal accomplishments. Otherwise standard situational questions. I flew down in May for the interview and was contacted the second week of June notifying me I had been selected. Everyone is very nice, and even if you don't get past the phone interview, they will give you advice for improvement if you request it.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you show your Warrior Spirt and fun-LUVing attitude in past jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at SWA.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Interview Details – You apply for the job online. If they decide to move you to the next round, you write an essay about why you want to work there. Then, they fly potential candidates to headquarters and sometimes put you in a hotel overnight. You interview at headquarters then you find out in about a week. If you accept, you have to submit to a background check and take a drug test. I interviewed with an HR person and two people from the department I hoped to intern in. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Word travels fast, so if you are rude to any of the frontline employees, don't expect an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!