Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2014
Updated May 19, 2014

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2012.

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

There are four stages of the application process: initial online application, essay, phone interview, and in-person interview. For all of these stages, I would recommend doing your research on the company to make sure you are seen as passionate. Also, show your Fun-LUVing Attitude, Warrior Spirit, and Servant's Heart.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2011.

I applied in April for the Fall internships. Yes, April. They get thousands of applicants so they need a lot of time to process the resumes. I was contacted for a phone interview, and a couple weeks later was contacted to complete an in-person interview at headquarters in Dallas. They flew me down and I had three interviews. These were very different than any I've had before. It was very much based on what my personality fit would be within the company, not just my personal accomplishments. Otherwise standard situational questions. I flew down in May for the interview and was contacted the second week of June notifying me I had been selected. Everyone is very nice, and even if you don't get past the phone interview, they will give you advice for improvement if you request it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you show your Warrior Spirt and fun-LUVing attitude in past jobs?   Answer Question
    No negotiation at SWA.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

You apply for the job online. If they decide to move you to the next round, you write an essay about why you want to work there. Then, they fly potential candidates to headquarters and sometimes put you in a hotel overnight. You interview at headquarters then you find out in about a week. If you accept, you have to submit to a background check and take a drug test. I interviewed with an HR person and two people from the department I hoped to intern in. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Word travels fast, so if you are rude to any of the frontline employees, don't expect an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2009.

I first received an offer for a phone interview, and spoke with someone in HR for about 30 minutes. After that, I was flown to their headquarters for a final round interview with the same HR recruiter along with someone from the department in which I was applying. Within a week, I received a phone call with an offer, which I happily accepted. My interview was what drew me into the company, getting to see how fun the culture was from the second I stepped foot in the door. Everyone was overly friendly, and the popcorn machine and free peanuts didn't hurt.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you faced an ethical dilemma, and how you went about solving it.   Answer Question
    There was little room for negotiation. It was a set hourly wage and number of hours per week, though my department was pretty flexible.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Online Application, Phone Interview then Person to Person Interview in Dallas.

Interview Questions
    • Both the phone interview was general behavioral interview questions and then the person to person interview was basically me thoroughly explaining my experiences that I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

Phone interview came first. A few questions about skills involved in the work, not tough. Then I was invited to an on-site interview.
    Before the interview there were some forms to fill, for background check. I was interviewed by HR and the supervisor of the dept I applied. Most questions were technical. They are friendly and considerate, but I did not find myself into this position actually...
    Suggestions: show your passion and your expertise! You must be an expert in the specific position you applied.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2012.

Interviewers and managers were looking for the following,
    1. Warrior Spirit
    2. Servants Heart
    3. Fun loving attitude

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Submitted online application, submitted updated resume and "Why Southwest" Essay. Phone interview, then you were flown down for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was very much a conversation, nothing out of the expected questions. Make sure when they ask your "weakness" you have one that does not infer with the jobs functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Questions
    • Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!