Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

Apply online, several months ahead of internship time. Phone interview followed up. Flying to Dallas on-site interview. Great atmosphere. Lovely people. Be prepared to talk about your resume and be yourself for unexpected questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, basic questions on my resume and coursework. Then asked some basic HR questions. Then was followed up with another phone interview going into position details. Was called back a month later and invited for a in person interview in Dallas.

Intern Interview

Interview

First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

Interview

Typical behavioral interview, asked question like "what are strengths and weaknesses", and "what do you do in your free time." Also, spoke for quite some time about position and decision making process. Very scripted. Was told I might be flown out and asked for my drivers license info, next day received an email (not a personal one, sent to all who were rejected) saying I wasn't selected

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2009.

Interview

Very personable phone (behavioral questions) interview. Flew back to headquarters for a subsequent interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on the internship side :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Got a phone call from the HR department to setup a phone interview. The next day I received an email with further information about how the interview process would work. A few days later was my interview. The phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes, consisted of an explanation of the internship and benefits. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was long but straightforward. Once you speak to a recruiter and go through a phone interview, if they are interested they will fly you to Dallas to meet you in person. Usually, interviews are in a small room with a recruiter and hiring manager(s). Overall very conversational, they are a laid back company and try to convey that image from the moment you walk into the building.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position? Why Southwest?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview

Recruiters are very very friendly. They will comfort you very well before starting the interview. 1. Phone interview: basic and similar questions are asked - a. Why SWA b. Why applied for this position c. Why course (you pursuing) d. Why university (you going to) - sometimes 2. On shore interview Go through the whole resume, word to word, project by project, experience to experience. May again ask from above questions. This is the same format for interview going on. So, just be you and confident. If you fit, you be hired, you'll not. No gimmick, nothing extra. very simple and straight forward process.

Interview Questions

• Why SWA. Do not fake, or mug up anything. Be genuine and say confidently.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Application

Interview

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until February and set up a phone interview with my main recruiter. The call lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She started off by telling me a little more about the position and then we went over my resume. I made sure to know the job description front and back so I could apply my experience to the position I was interviewing for. She asked me questions such as: -name a time you were in a conflict with someone and how did you handle it. -why your major? -why pursue this internship verse a full-time position? -what have you learned from these experiences? -why southwest? It went well because at the end of the phone call she said they wanted to fly me out to interview in person. There I brought my letters of rec and my "why Southwest" essay. At the interview I was with the same recruiter and the person I would be reporting to. They both were laid back and made me feel at ease. We again went through my resume so the manager could get to know me and was asked a few more situational questions: -what was your least favorite thing you did in your previous internship experience? -what's your weakness? (Answer this and spin it with a positive) They do a good job of making sure you are comfortable so they can see the real you. About a week later I got a call back and was told I was right for Southwest but not that particular position so my recruiter asked if I would be interested in a different position that better suited my skills. I set up another phone interview with her and the managers and went through the same questions and my resume. I made sure to do my research and offer any suggestions on the particular project I would be working on if selected as an intern. They liked that I already had ideas. I was called back almost immediately with an offer. Overall the entire experience was so laid back and friendly. Southwest doesn't just hire for the position, they hire the person and if they think you fit in with the culture, they will find a place for you which is why it's so important to just be yourself. A