Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview

Recruiters are very very friendly. They will comfort you very well before starting the interview.

1. Phone interview: basic and similar questions are asked -
a. Why SWA
b. Why applied for this position
c. Why course (you pursuing)
d. Why university (you going to) - sometimes

2. On shore interview
Go through the whole resume, word to word, project by project, experience to experience.
May again ask from above questions.

This is the same format for interview going on.
So, just be you and confident. If you fit, you be hired, you'll not. No gimmick, nothing extra. very simple and straight forward process.

Interview Questions

• Why SWA.
    Do not fake, or mug up anything. Be genuine and say confidently.

1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Interview

phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Online Application, Phone Interview then Person to Person Interview in Dallas.

Interview Questions

• Both the phone interview was general behavioral interview questions and then the person to person interview was basically me thoroughly explaining my experiences that I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

Submitted online application, submitted updated resume and "Why Southwest" Essay. Phone interview, then you were flown down for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• It was very much a conversation, nothing out of the expected questions. Make sure when they ask your "weakness" you have one that does not infer with the jobs functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question
    • What types of systems are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Interviewers and managers were looking for the following,
    1. Warrior Spirit
    2. Servants Heart
    3. Fun loving attitude

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied in April for the Fall internships. Yes, April. They get thousands of applicants so they need a lot of time to process the resumes. I was contacted for a phone interview, and a couple weeks later was contacted to complete an in-person interview at headquarters in Dallas. They flew me down and I had three interviews. These were very different than any I've had before. It was very much based on what my personality fit would be within the company, not just my personal accomplishments. Otherwise standard situational questions. I flew down in May for the interview and was contacted the second week of June notifying me I had been selected. Everyone is very nice, and even if you don't get past the phone interview, they will give you advice for improvement if you request it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you show your Warrior Spirt and fun-LUVing attitude in past jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at SWA.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview came first. A few questions about skills involved in the work, not tough. Then I was invited to an on-site interview.
    Before the interview there were some forms to fill, for background check. I was interviewed by HR and the supervisor of the dept I applied. Most questions were technical. They are friendly and considerate, but I did not find myself into this position actually...
    Suggestions: show your passion and your expertise! You must be an expert in the specific position you applied.

Application

Interview

Got a phone call from the HR department to setup a phone interview. The next day I received an email with further information about how the interview process would work. A few days later was my interview. The phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes, consisted of an explanation of the internship and benefits. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

You apply for the job online. If they decide to move you to the next round, you write an essay about why you want to work there. Then, they fly potential candidates to headquarters and sometimes put you in a hotel overnight. You interview at headquarters then you find out in about a week. If you accept, you have to submit to a background check and take a drug test. I interviewed with an HR person and two people from the department I hoped to intern in. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Word travels fast, so if you are rude to any of the frontline employees, don't expect an offer.