Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.8

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 qualities important to a ramp agent?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2015.

I applied online and got a call back the following day. Interviewer asked me to finish answering more questions online and he will call back upon my completion. He called me back the next day for the phone interview. At the end of the interview he told me that they will send an email for f2f interview. 2days later I received an email saying that they decided to go with other candidates.

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2015.

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until mid February. I was asked to send in the Why Southwest essay and a few weeks later I got an email saying I got to the phone interview round. The phone call lasted about fifteen minutesor so. The interviewer was very friendly and asked me questions. I asked him questions at the end, which he loved. There were a lot of steps to the process, but I enjoyed the experience I got from applying to Southwest.

Interview Questions
    • Why Southwest? What were your favorite two classes? Why you?   Answer Question

Ramp Agent, DAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2015.

Applied online about a 4 weeks ago, had a phone interview last week and called for a F2F about 4 days after the phone interview, asked me to wait outside for a few minutes, called me back in and had the fingerprinting done straight after the F2F. I had 3 to 1 interview, and it was very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • Went over my work history, nothing out of the ordinary, the usual,,,,why do you want to work for SWA, the role of the Ramp agent, why did you leave your other jobs.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I was emailed about the fact that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was offered a F2F interview. I had the F2F today with a recruiter from Phoenix, the assistant base manager and a peer CSA. After interview they had me wait outside and then asked to have me fingerprinted Did not schedule me for a Drug Test yet. Said they did the fingerprinting to save time but that I had to have a strong interview to get to fingerprinting. Said she was hoping to let people know by next week who was accepted. Does anyone think that this means I will get an offer?
    I really want this job.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how I would deal with a coworker who was talking badly about someone/and or the company in the break room and how I would handle that.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions
    • Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question
    Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I applied online at the beginning of January, then I received an email and a phone call exactly 3 weeks later from a recruiter in Phoenix. At first I received an email asking if I was still interested in the position, and if so then the recruiter asked me to fill out an application online. About an hour later I received a phone call form the recruiter. I was a bit surprised seeing how I barely had any time to even fill out the application. The phone call was for a phone interview, which I thought went over pretty well. Unfortunately, I was not asked to go on to the F2F interview by the end of the phone interview. I thought maybe I would be one of the lucky few who would be asked to the F2F a few days after. Sadly, I did receive the "thanks but no thanks" email 6 days after the phone interview. I'm not too sure why I was not chosen to go on, I even tried calling and emailing the recruiter to ask politely what the reason was for not choosing me. I also tried telling her that I wanted to make this a more positive experience, so I wanted to use the feedback as a way to grow and become a better candidate for future Southwest Airlines positions. Even though I tried numerous times to contact her, I received no response back. I can't help but feel as if the recruiter couldn't care less about helping a candidate that was no longer moving on in the process. Unfortunately, sometimes you get a recruiter that you may not connect with and that may cause you to lose an opportunity. As of now I still will continue to try with Southwest Airlines due to the reason it seems like such a wonderful airline to work for.

On a side note, I also applied to US Airways for a similar position and I was chosen to move on to the F2F interview. Both the US Airways phone interview and the Southwest Airlines interview were practically the same; similar questions, responses, and I held the same positive, funny attitude. if you don't get chosen to move on don't let that discourage you. As long as you are positive that you want to work for southwest then keep trying!

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much all behavioral questions. The recruiter provided some more information about the position itself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The interview process was long but straightforward. Once you speak to a recruiter and go through a phone interview, if they are interested they will fly you to Dallas to meet you in person. Usually, interviews are in a small room with a recruiter and hiring manager(s). Overall very conversational, they are a laid back company and try to convey that image from the moment you walk into the building.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position?
      Why Southwest?

View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2015.

1) Applied online in December
    2) Had over the phone interview in early January
    3) Had F2F interview at the airport in early February
    4) Less than a week later I found out I would move on in the process
    5) In the couple of days following I got fingerprinted and went for a drug test
    6) Almost a MONTH later found out I officially had the job!!

No matter how frustrated you get with the process, just stay patient and positive!

Interview Questions
    • Why southwest?
      How would you handle a mean customer?
      What sets you apart?

Just be yourself! The interview was not set up to stump me, or screw me over! It just felt like a fun conversation, I walked out beaming. I think their main tactic is finding people who fit the culture of Southwest.

Answer Question