Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until February and set up a phone interview with my main recruiter. The call lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She started off by telling me a little more about the position and then we went over my resume. I made sure to know the job description front and back so I could apply my experience to the position I was interviewing for. She asked me questions such as:
    -name a time you were in a conflict with someone and how did you handle it.
    -why your major?
    -why pursue this internship verse a full-time position?
    -what have you learned from these experiences?
    -why southwest?
    It went well because at the end of the phone call she said they wanted to fly me out to interview in person. There I brought my letters of rec and my "why Southwest" essay.
    At the interview I was with the same recruiter and the person I would be reporting to. They both were laid back and made me feel at ease. We again went through my resume so the manager could get to know me and was asked a few more situational questions:
    -what was your least favorite thing you did in your previous internship experience?
    -what's your weakness? (Answer this and spin it with a positive)

They do a good job of making sure you are comfortable so they can see the real you.

About a week later I got a call back and was told I was right for Southwest but not that particular position so my recruiter asked if I would be interested in a different position that better suited my skills. I set up another phone interview with her and the managers and went through the same questions and my resume. I made sure to do my research and offer any suggestions on the particular project I would be working on if selected as an intern. They liked that I already had ideas.

I was called back almost immediately with an offer.

Overall the entire experience was so laid back and friendly. Southwest doesn't just hire for the position, they hire the person and if they think you fit in with the culture, they will find a place for you which is why it's so important to just be yourself.
    A

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very quick. I applied in April, the phone interview was a week later, and it took 5 more days to get call for the f2f interview. The f2f interview was about as great as an interview can be. There were three of us interviewing that day, and we were, as they put it, "set up for success," before the interview. A flight attendant came into the room and coached us on how to do well in the interview; what to say, what they were looking for, and some other basic qualifications. Once in the interview, that man was the interviewer. It was very relaxed, very comfortable, and the interviewers are VERY personable. They are looking for great customer service!

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted via email and phone to see if I was still interested in the position and to set up a time for a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and described the position further and then proceeded to ask me questions about my education, work experience and why I was interested in the job. At the end of the interview she told me she was wanted to fly me out to Dallas for another interview and that she would contact me in the next few weeks to set that up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

The Presets giving the interview was very warm and comforting the interview went very well I was just a series of questions to which they liked my answers and I was offered the job position

Interview Questions

• why should Southwest Airlines employee hire me   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied on March then they called me back on Jun, two weeks later they informed me to be selected on face to face interview.
    Be yourself because they are great team and they want to know whether your qualification is suitable to the position or not, but not how much you are excellent.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?
      What is your weakness?
      Tell them about previous position?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

1) Submitted my resume and application online
    2) Within a couple days later I was emailed by a recruiter to complete some missing information (my full middle name) on my application and to give her a call back once I've done so.
    3) I called her back, but no answer so I left a voicemail. Still no reply, so I called back the next morning and she answered and wanting to schedule a phone interview later that afternoon.
    4) I completed the phone interview. It lasted about 10 minutes, she was sounded a little monotonous but I'm assuming it was because she was busy typing notes, reviewing my past work history and listening to my responses simultaneous. Due to other candidates, she said she would call back within a week with a decision.
    5) I received a call the following day and wanting to schedule a F2F interview in 2 days.
    6) F2F interview at the airport with 2 recruiters from the People Department, both gentlemen were really nice and welcoming; one of the least intimidating interviews i've been on, mostly because i did my homework as well and expected all of the questions.
    7) They had me wait outside my literally 1 minute and they came out with a decision to move me forward in the process and made it clear that it was not an "official" offer. They pointed me to the office where i get my fingerprints and badge information done. Also in the airport.
    8) This was a Friday and the lady doing my fingerprints said that they will get back to me early next week.
    9) Today is Monday and I got a call to schedule my drug testing.
    10) Now I wait on pins and needles for all of my background to come back. (Not too worried, but I've heard that the background check is pretty thorough and lengthy.)

**Overall the process was very fast compared to others that I have been reading; possibly due to the fact that I am a Veteran...? It's the waiting game that is ultimately the only hard part about the process, but definitely keeping my hopes up!

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview April 21; Face 2 Face On May 6; Then Recieved A Letter Stating I Wasn't Choosen To Mov Foward But The Recruiters Stated I Was Definitely A Candidate.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions

• Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Bwi Airport, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month or two ago and I had the telephone interview and it went well but unfortunately I received an email saying they already made the decision and it wasn't in my favor. Needless to say I didn't give up, I applied two more times and I received an email asking me to fill out my employment history and I did that immediately and then some lady emailed me asking me if I would be interested in a interview and of course I was. So today I went for the interview and I had a ok time it was just a normal interview and I answered all the questions as profoundly as possible lol. So me and the interviewer hit it off had some fun she told me she would let me know after 2weeks when they do my background check. I believe I got th job! It was very easy.

Interview Questions

• Am I willing to work any shift? Shifts are based on seniority so you do not get to make your own schedule but you are required to show up for all shifts.   5 Answers

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2015.

Interview

I have a strong work ethic, I work well with others, I'm responsible and respectful, I'm reliable and trustworthy I can lift up to 70 pounds, I'm consistent and I take pride in my work

Interview Questions

• The interview went well they asked me why would I want to work for southwest   1 Answer