Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.8

QA Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2011.

Interview

The interviewing panel was very casual yet professional. The questions were very specific to the job requirement/position.

Aircraft Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

I submit my application online two months latter they call me and give me a phone interview then one week latter i went to the southwest headquarters to take a skills test after pass the test they fly me to the face to face interview , the interview was really hard because was infront 3 Sw maintenance managers and 1 HR guy

Interview Questions

• They ask me alot of technical cuestions about the 737 flap system and 717 landing gear   Answer Question

Assistant Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

The interview process for me consisted of three parts. The first part was a phone interview - this was pretty easy, just talking to someone in HR. From there I was asked to come up to take a test and fill out a job application. Southwest did fly me up and back for this. I initially thought the test would be graded right away and if you passed, you would go to the next step in the interview process, but this was not the case. I took the test and filled out the application, and was told they'd get back to me. I evidently passed the test because I did get called back for an interview about a week later, and they flew me up to Dallas once again. However, I was very unimpressed with this interview - it seemed rushed, only taking about 30 minutes, and they did not even take me for a tour of the office I would have been working in. I've worked in this field a long time for several different airlines and this is only the second time I didn't get to take a tour of the work area - that was a big negative for me. Perhaps if they are impressed with you then they offer you a tour, I'm not sure. Anyhow, after all of this process, when I got the email telling me I wasn't selected, it wasn't even addressed to me personally - rather sent out by an HR assistant with the header "Dear Assistant Dispatch Candidate." After all the time I put into the process I felt like they could have at least addressed me by my name.

Interview Questions

• If the weather has gone down at your destination and the flight was dispatched without an alternate, what would you do?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

Interview

There are four stages of the application process: initial online application, essay, phone interview, and in-person interview. For all of these stages, I would recommend doing your research on the company to make sure you are seen as passionate. Also, show your Fun-LUVing Attitude, Warrior Spirit, and Servant's Heart.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question
    • What types of systems are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2012.

Interview

Received call to set up a phone interview with a specific recruiter. He called me at the designated time. Asked very specific questions. Everything was to do with internal audit, no personality or behavior questions were asked. It is a very competitve internship. I ultimately recieved a personal email from the recruiter that they had gone with someone else.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview

Job was advertised mid July, to which I applied. I was contacted by e-mail 1-2 days later to schedule a phone interview, though they could not accommodate a phone interview for another 2 days. Phone interview was informal, mostly questions about myself or my resume, and advised what my job would entail, including pay which was non negotiable (and very low.. faaaaar less than my previous job). The interviewer on the phone was very friendly and advised I had passed and will be scheduled for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was booked for 4 days later. The face to face interview was ok, 4 people interviewed and lots of general interview questions about my past jobs and about me, luckily I'd done my homework and expected what I would be asked. A week and a half later I received a call advising I had passed to the next step - background checks. They work with another company to do background checks, the company was easy to work with, but if you don't reply straight away they will bombard you with e-mails and calls until you do. There were also drug tests to do and later on fingerprinting once the background checks were complete. I was flown to Phoenix for fingerprinting, this was fun since you are getting sent to fly for free! Back within the same day, then generally it was a week later I was sent to the airport to get my airport badge and sign a few forms. It wasn't until 4 weeks later you are once again sent to Phoenix to finish your airport badge forms and a meet and greet other new hires from yours and other stations. My start date was a week after that, 2 months of playing the waiting game... wow, too long for some people, especially ones in desperate need of money asap. I heard and read a lot of people cannot wait this long for job processing and accept other jobs because they are far quicker in getting you started. I do wonder now if it was worth going through all this to work there, the employee culture they so proudly advertise may well be a lie, though it may just be that Southwest has just changed. At the moment I do not feel the work environment is as I've read. Since I've started I feel quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Already I sense a lot of gossip within the station. Apparently its ok to get yelled at by a customer, yet they are renowned for putting employees before customers. If you make a mistake or don't do everything by the book, you can be terminated. Apparently they don't mind losing smart people, and there doesn't seem to be any leeway in making a mistake. Termination and warning letters is something they seem to like quoting. Wow I wonder how long I will stay here for...

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

This was my 2nd interview in 2-years; SWA is the ONLY company I want to work for. I did a lot of pre-interview prep. After phone interview, I was moved on to the 1:1 which went very well. Interviewer was very personable, fair and friendly. But not easy!

Interview Questions

• What was the most positive customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question
    • On the flip-side, how have you handled an irate customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Video Production Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

I got an e-mail from Southwest to set up a phone interview. After a time was agreed upon a HR representative called me and we talked for about an hour about myself, my experience, skills, and what I saw myself doing in my future. Two days later I got an e-mail regarding an in-person interview. I was told which days I would be in Dallas and was not given any choice. I was also e-mailed about 10 pages worth of background information - I needed to write an essay - I had to supply my college AND high school transcript. I live in L.A. so Southwest booked my flight (at no cost to me) e-mailed me the confirmation and then called me to make sure I knew everything I needed to do once I got to the airport. I flew out late on a Sunday afternoon (and had 2 lay overs - 7 hours of flying time total), called the hotel shuttle to pick me up (which arrived quickly) and then arrived at the hotel late Sunday night. My interview was at 8:00 am Monday morning. The hotel shuttle took me to Southwest headquarters. I had to fill out about 30 mins worth of paper work once I got there. I was then met by one HR rep and she walked me through some paperwork I had to fill out. Then she passed me off to another HR rep who took me to interview with the group of people I would work for. The interview went smoothly and asked the typical questions. It was over within 20 mins and they then sent me on my way into a shuttle that took me to the airport and I flew out at 10:15 am. Then after 2 lay overs again I finally got back to L.A. It took them 2 weeks to tell me they went with someone else.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2009.

Interview

Lengthy and tough process

Interview Questions

• Standard Basic Java with Swing and lot of Database related questions   Answer Question