Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.8

QA Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2011.

The interviewing panel was very casual yet professional. The questions were very specific to the job requirement/position.

Aircraft Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2013.

I submit my application online two months latter they call me and give me a phone interview then one week latter i went to the southwest headquarters to take a skills test after pass the test they fly me to the face to face interview , the interview was really hard because was infront 3 Sw maintenance managers and 1 HR guy

Interview Questions
    • They ask me alot of technical cuestions about the 737 flap system and 717 landing gear   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
    After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
    Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
    The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
    After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Questions
    • Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer
    No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Hiring process went very fast. I was called for tefonic interview, 2 days later I was called in for in-person interview. I have beeing called in for in-person interview twice so far but did not go through :( Questions were mostly behavioral and situational, and very specific to the tasks handled a per resume.

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on the latest Air Trans and SWA merger/acquisition. How would you forecast for maybe 1 year ? On what parameters ?   View Answer

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

I was tipped off by a friend in the crew scheduling dept that there was going to be a posting so I was eagerly waiting for it. Sure enough, it showed up and I applied. I was contacted about a week later by a recruiter, who setup a time to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview started with the recruiter asking me what I thought were the position responsibilities (be sure you research this if you don't know) and he asked me what i thought the biggest challenges in the role would be. Then he worked back through my resume, asking me to describe what I did at each airline and why I left. Southwest hires more for fit than other companies so be sure that you are modeling their company values within your experience and answers (warrior spirit, servant's heart, fun luv-ing attitude - once again, do research so that you know what those are). I thought I bombed the phone interview because I resigned in my last position and my answer wasn't as concrete as it should have been. To my surprise I was contacted a few days later via email that I made it to the face-to-face in Dallas. (They flew me out (must-ride), it was strange having a confirmed seat when I'm so used to non-revving.) Face-to-face was the recruiter and manager in the crew scheduling dept. I was completely prepared and felt calm. About 15 min into interview the manager was falling asleep. I couldn't believe it! No head bob but the eyes were glazed and lids going up and down. I wanted to laugh but instead focused my attention on the recruiter, who was awake and engaged. Face-to-face took about 35 min.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much standard interview questions, behavioral focused questions. If you write out as many experiences where you went out of your way to help a customer, went above and beyond what is required, took initiative, made a quick decision, found a new solution, etc you will be able to answer any of the behavioral questions fairly easily with an example.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2012.

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Ground Operations Supervisor Interview

interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2008.

Lengthy due to extensive background check. Recruiters will pick people that appear to be able to conform to the "Southwest Way" instead of someone with a great education and work history.

Interview Questions
    • Give us one example of how you "colored outside the box" and the result of your decison and how it affected others.   Answer Question
    No negotiating pay.

Purchasing Intern Interview

1. They send me an email for an updated resume
    2. Phone me for a phone interview time
    3. Phone interview of about 20 minutes: going through resume, why swa, why this position. 4. On site of 30 min which consisted of HR + 3 managers .
    5. They call me to tell me that i was accepted
    6. Drug test and background check
    The whole interview and acceptance process was within 2 weeks. Everything went to fast . SWA are really friendly and makes the whole process easy for interviewees, you wont feel unwelcome or nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Why SWA. Why this position. Which was the class that you liked most. Which class you like least. What is your experience with SAP. Talk about experience in previous jobs. Ask extracurricular activities.
      Know your resume !
        Answer Question
    No need of negotiation. Money is not as important as the experience that one will get. They are a great company to learn from.

Customer Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2010.

You have a phone interview first. Then a week later you are called to schedule an in person interview. If you do well, you are scheduled for a drug test and background test, in a few weeks.

Salary was non negotiable

Technical Writer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

Phone interview, one-on-one interview

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult class and why?   View Answer