Southwest Airlines

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions
    • Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question
    Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Ramp Agent Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2014.

Horrible. I was the 15th or 16th potential applicant that day. The interviewer was curt and rude towards me. She clearly wasn't having a good day. She spent more time talking at me than to me. The ramp representative that sat in on the interview fell asleep while I was talking. He didn't wake up until his cell phone rang.

They'll take your background info (social security number, address, etc.) knowing they don't plan on hiring you. You have to just trust that they'll destroy your background documentation if you're not offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • I was told, "I'm the one asking the questions. Please keep quiet until after the initial interview." Despite having airline experience, I knew after that comment, I didn't want the job. I'll remain a loyal customer and let someone else fight over the $10/hr job. It's not worth it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Recruiters are very very friendly. They will comfort you very well before starting the interview.

1. Phone interview: basic and similar questions are asked -
    a. Why SWA
    b. Why applied for this position
    c. Why course (you pursuing)
    d. Why university (you going to) - sometimes

2. On shore interview
    Go through the whole resume, word to word, project by project, experience to experience.
    May again ask from above questions.

This is the same format for interview going on.
    So, just be you and confident. If you fit, you be hired, you'll not. No gimmick, nothing extra. very simple and straight forward process.

Interview Questions
    • Why SWA.
      Do not fake, or mug up anything. Be genuine and say confidently.

View Answer
    no negotiation

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2014.

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Was called for the phone interview, the people who interview you on the phone don't work specifically for Southwest so expect a very dry tone. Speak clearly and take your time because they will misinterpret things you have said, I was then moved on to Face-Face interview (no pressure just smile and be bubbly), and then was given a verbal offer for the job

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult, just alot of customer service questions to prove you can handle working in a busy environment   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Best to apply online. Just be yourself and once you get in the company you can move around both position wise and location. There is also a 6 month probation time. Huge background check.

Interview Questions
    • There is a lot of overtime to work and they have what they call "mandatory overtime" so be ready to work the holidays at first.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

Pretty standard and simple. Applied and got a call about a week later and did a 10 minute phone screen which ended with scheduling a face to face a couple days later. After my face to face got the offer 2 days later and began my background and drug screen

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Nothing out of the normal set of interview questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiating. Standard starting rate for everyone and I am new to the industry so didn't expect anything else.

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

got a call from one of the recruiters and he was rushing the call. asked me about my previous jobs and asked me simple questions of how i would handle different scenarios then he said he would let me know the next week for a face to face so im waiting.

Interview Questions
    s low pay and no negotiation