Southwest Airlines

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

After a few phone interviews I was invited to a face-to-face interview. They were busy and I had to wait about 30 minutes after my scheduled interview time. There were 5 people in the interview room: 1 person in charge of hiring, 2 supervisors, and 2 people taking notes. It was friendly and I enjoyed the interview.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

6 month long recruiting process; overall really great experience and timely responses back. Application is super easy, then received email for why southwest essay, then phone interview, then in-person interview and got a call day of I received the internship. Each step took place per month and found out in November for internship in January.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview all behavioral, in-person interview more specific but all in all really great experience. Everyone is so nice and makes you feel at home regardless of how nervous you are.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The interview process was long but straightforward. Once you speak to a recruiter and go through a phone interview, if they are interested they will fly you to Dallas to meet you in person. Usually, interviews are in a small room with a recruiter and hiring manager(s). Overall very conversational, they are a laid back company and try to convey that image from the moment you walk into the building.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position?
      Why Southwest?

View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I left a post about 2 weeks ago. In my post I mentioned that I had no offer 2 weeks after the face to face interview. I have an update. Apparently I'm still being considered, because a few days after posting my review on here I got an email saying they were going to fly me out to Orlando for fingerprinting. I've now done my drug test and I was told at the fingerprinting that if the employment verification checks out, I should hear back from them (with or without a job offer) in about 4 to 5 weeks. So from the time I applied for the position until 4 to 5 weeks from now, the entire process will be about 4 months long. I realize this industry involves the FAA and Homeland Security/TSA, and they have to make sure their employees don't have "shady" backgrounds, but this is taking a very long time. You have to be patient if you are in the same situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2014.

I applied online included my resume. I received a call from the company and was asked if I had time to do a short phone interview. I was also sent an email with some questions to answer like address of where I have lived the last ten years. The person that interviewed me was very friendly. He asked why I would like to work for the company. He asked how much I knew about the position and what duties I would have. He asked if I had any questions for him. Very nice conversation.

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I applied online at the beginning of January, then I received an email and a phone call exactly 3 weeks later from a recruiter in Phoenix. At first I received an email asking if I was still interested in the position, and if so then the recruiter asked me to fill out an application online. About an hour later I received a phone call form the recruiter. I was a bit surprised seeing how I barely had any time to even fill out the application. The phone call was for a phone interview, which I thought went over pretty well. Unfortunately, I was not asked to go on to the F2F interview by the end of the phone interview. I thought maybe I would be one of the lucky few who would be asked to the F2F a few days after. Sadly, I did receive the "thanks but no thanks" email 6 days after the phone interview. I'm not too sure why I was not chosen to go on, I even tried calling and emailing the recruiter to ask politely what the reason was for not choosing me. I also tried telling her that I wanted to make this a more positive experience, so I wanted to use the feedback as a way to grow and become a better candidate for future Southwest Airlines positions. Even though I tried numerous times to contact her, I received no response back. I can't help but feel as if the recruiter couldn't care less about helping a candidate that was no longer moving on in the process. Unfortunately, sometimes you get a recruiter that you may not connect with and that may cause you to lose an opportunity. As of now I still will continue to try with Southwest Airlines due to the reason it seems like such a wonderful airline to work for.

On a side note, I also applied to US Airways for a similar position and I was chosen to move on to the F2F interview. Both the US Airways phone interview and the Southwest Airlines interview were practically the same; similar questions, responses, and I held the same positive, funny attitude. if you don't get chosen to move on don't let that discourage you. As long as you are positive that you want to work for southwest then keep trying!

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much all behavioral questions. The recruiter provided some more information about the position itself.   Answer Question

Appearance Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2012.

First there is a phone interview. Just confirming your interest ans going over basic information from your resume. Following that there is an interview with the station manager and the recruiting agent from SWA. Most questions are behavioral and situational and normally they want to know your long term plan. It easy to move around in after your first year. It helpful to know company history, motto,and such.

Interview Questions
    • Specific question about union. If never worked for a union its best to relate to something of that matter.   View Answer

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I had a phone interview with Southwest Airlines in Fall 2014. The questions are basic and straightforward, which is almost about why choosing your current major, resume walk-through, and your career goal in the next five years. The interviewer is friendly and helpful, and somehow that makes the interview a little bit fun and less stressful.

Interview Questions
    • There is no difficult or unexpected question in this phone interview   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.