Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.8

Operations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Nothing happens overnight here. I first applied online on April 11. It wasn't until April 27 that I was sent the real application, which is very extensive. I filled it out immediately and was able to schedule a phone interview for the following day. I did tons of research on the company and took notes. I felt that I was extremely qualified for the position based upon my work experience and my eagerness to join the SWA family. And I felt that I was very prepared for the phone interview.

I was over-prepared. I was asked nothing about the company. We basically went through my job history one by one, only to confirm that what I wrote on the application was accurate. The questions were like, "Did you work for so and so from this date to this date?" Well, yes I did. That's why it's on my application. Of course, I didn't say that, but I was disappointed that this wasn't really an interview at all. At the end of about 15 minutes, I was told there were other interviews scheduled and that I should hear from them within one week. On May 1, I was informed that I was not selected to proceed in the hiring process.

Sad face.

P.S. Starting pay is $10.61/hr

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SWA?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me what an Operation Agent does?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. General introduction of the position and the expectations of the job. Moved onto behavioral questions on my resume and background. Ended with an open Q&A for any questions I had about the position or the company.

I was told this was a entry level position and they were looking at other candidates that are recent college grad or current college students. I have been working in the industry for about 3 years now.

They did not extend me a second round interview. They encouraged me to apply to the "business" side at SW and that I am a really great fit in the company. The reason is my experience is lacking in documentation & gathering requirements and they could not pass up on other candidates who have more experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with documentation and gathering requirements?

What experience do you have working with other teams to solve a problem?

What coding languages are you familiar with and have a working knowledge to communicate with the tech teams?

Explain why you chose your college major and what career aspirations do you have in the future?

Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later got a call from the recruiter and set up a phone screening. After the phone screening, I got an invitation to fly to Dallas for a panel interview. They flew me up there from Houston and I had my interview with 2 of the people on the team and the recruiter. They were all very pleasant, and after that, I flew back on the same day. After the interview, I didn't hear back in over 2 weeks which led me to correctly conclude that they weren't interested in following up with me. Sure enough, 2 weeks and 2 days after my in person interview, they sent me an email telling me I didn't get picked to proceed further.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Application
    I applied online April 11th, the entire process after being hired took about 4 weeks – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL MDW) in April 2015.
    Interview
    The process begins with initial resume submission and upon screening by HR department, if skill set match the position, they will give you a phone call followed by an email. The first call basically was to congratulate you and said, that I was being considered for the position. Next, they scheduled a phone interview where they asked how my skill set would help the company. Also, they inquired about my previous customer service experience. Upon conclusion of the phone call, they indicated that I would be moving to the next step in the process, which would entail a face to face interview. The hiring process was quick. I applied in April, the phone interview was 2 weeks later, and face to face interview the following week. The f2f interview was great. There were 2 recruiters that interviewed me that day. The background check process took roughly 3-4 weeks. Southwest background check is “NO JOKE” they are extremely thorough. I suggest that you make sure everything that is on your resume can be verified & reflects what you put on the application. Just be yourself and wait patiently. Best of luck!

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Orange, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was nervous about where the interview was going to be but luckily it's at the airport in which you are applying.

Two people interviewed me, didn't mention their positions. The woman that was not wearing the Southwest uniform did most of the questioning but they were both really friendly. I know that the woman not wearing a uniform split her time between Orange County and Arizona.

They are really friendly and silly and want you to be comfortable enough to answer truthfully! It isn't hard to engage in small talk with them as they are not stiff and just trying to fill out paperwork. They are trying to make sure you are good for the company and company mission.

I applied in early March, interviewed last Tuesday on March 31 and took my drug test today (April 6) and am scheduled to go to fingerprinting. Flying out to Oakland Thursday (April 9)

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 qualities important to a ramp agent?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I was emailed about the fact that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was offered a F2F interview. I had the F2F today with a recruiter from Phoenix, the assistant base manager and a peer CSA. After interview they had me wait outside and then asked to have me fingerprinted Did not schedule me for a Drug Test yet. Said they did the fingerprinting to save time but that I had to have a strong interview to get to fingerprinting. Said she was hoping to let people know by next week who was accepted. Does anyone think that this means I will get an offer?
    I really want this job.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I would deal with a coworker who was talking badly about someone/and or the company in the break room and how I would handle that.   1 Answer

Part Time Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Omaha, NE) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted and scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview went fine, mostly questions about my past experience. I was then set up for a face-to-face interview with a Human Resource interviewer and the manager. I thought the interview went well but I was not offered a job. In all honesty I think my age (55) and being slightly overweight (size 14) is why I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• If you are working with someone who is in a bad mood what would you do to try to change their attitude?   1 Answer

Technical Software Lead - Java Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Conference call with HR and Hiring Manager. The 3rd person from the group scheduled to be on the call did not show up. The conference call dial-in security code was incorrect, so the interview was delayed 12 minutes. I had to call the recruiter working with me, to then get in touch with the HR person, regarding the incorrect dial-in security code. Once everyone was on the call, the interview went ok, except the hiring manager was hard to hear on a few questions, so I had to have him clarify/repeat them. And it didn't seem like he was not too happy about that? I have had other interviews with SWA over time, and I really get the impression that SWA looks for perfection in their interview process. And if that candidate doesn't come across as what they deem as "perfect", you are out of the running. Again, just my impression based on my experiences.

Interview Questions

• Basically went over the information on my resume, and the hiring manager asked a few questions regarding Agile Sprint scenarios, etc.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a call about a week after applying online. At the end of the short phone screening I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The interviewer asked what I did at my previous jobs and why I left. At the end of the interview, was told that I would hear back after the completion of my drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest Airlines ?   1 Answer