Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.7

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and had a lady call me a week later for a phone interview , did a phone interview, then waited for a while and got a phone call 3 weeks later, very nice person and I am going in week for a face to face interview in a week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with southwest airlines?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process took roughly 2-3 weeks. southwest background is NO JOKE' they are extremely thorough. I suggest you make sure everything that is on your resume can be verified & reflects what you put on the application. I was so excited going through the background process being flew out of state until a discrepancy with a job date, denied me. Wonderful company nonetheless. Best of luck

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Process begins with initial resume submission and upon screening by HR department, if skill set match the position, they will actually give you a phone call followed by an email. The first call basically was a congrats and that I was being considered for the position. Next, they scheduled a phone interview where they asked how would my skill set help the company. Also, they inquired about my customer service experience. Upon conclusion of the phone call, they indicated that I would be contacted regarding the next step in the process, which would entail a face to face interview. They contacted me in about three days via a phone call and email to arrange the interview. The interview took place two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your experiences.   1 Answer
    • They asked me to describe the duties of the position.   Answer Question
    • When you walk into a business, name three things that stick out to you.   1 Answer

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background.

The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions.

The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response.

Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Application
    I applied online April 11th, the entire process after being hired took about 4 weeks – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL MDW) in April 2015.
    Interview
    The process begins with initial resume submission and upon screening by HR department, if skill set match the position, they will give you a phone call followed by an email. The first call basically was to congratulate you and said, that I was being considered for the position. Next, they scheduled a phone interview where they asked how my skill set would help the company. Also, they inquired about my previous customer service experience. Upon conclusion of the phone call, they indicated that I would be moving to the next step in the process, which would entail a face to face interview. The hiring process was quick. I applied in April, the phone interview was 2 weeks later, and face to face interview the following week. The f2f interview was great. There were 2 recruiters that interviewed me that day. The background check process took roughly 3-4 weeks. Southwest background check is “NO JOKE” they are extremely thorough. I suggest that you make sure everything that is on your resume can be verified & reflects what you put on the application. Just be yourself and wait patiently. Best of luck!

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later got a call from the recruiter and set up a phone screening. After the phone screening, I got an invitation to fly to Dallas for a panel interview. They flew me up there from Houston and I had my interview with 2 of the people on the team and the recruiter. They were all very pleasant, and after that, I flew back on the same day. After the interview, I didn't hear back in over 2 weeks which led me to correctly conclude that they weren't interested in following up with me. Sure enough, 2 weeks and 2 days after my in person interview, they sent me an email telling me I didn't get picked to proceed further.

Operations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Nothing happens overnight here. I first applied online on April 11. It wasn't until April 27 that I was sent the real application, which is very extensive. I filled it out immediately and was able to schedule a phone interview for the following day. I did tons of research on the company and took notes. I felt that I was extremely qualified for the position based upon my work experience and my eagerness to join the SWA family. And I felt that I was very prepared for the phone interview.

I was over-prepared. I was asked nothing about the company. We basically went through my job history one by one, only to confirm that what I wrote on the application was accurate. The questions were like, "Did you work for so and so from this date to this date?" Well, yes I did. That's why it's on my application. Of course, I didn't say that, but I was disappointed that this wasn't really an interview at all. At the end of about 15 minutes, I was told there were other interviews scheduled and that I should hear from them within one week. On May 1, I was informed that I was not selected to proceed in the hiring process.

Sad face.

P.S. Starting pay is $10.61/hr

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SWA?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me what an Operation Agent does?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. General introduction of the position and the expectations of the job. Moved onto behavioral questions on my resume and background. Ended with an open Q&A for any questions I had about the position or the company.

I was told this was a entry level position and they were looking at other candidates that are recent college grad or current college students. I have been working in the industry for about 3 years now.

They did not extend me a second round interview. They encouraged me to apply to the "business" side at SW and that I am a really great fit in the company. The reason is my experience is lacking in documentation & gathering requirements and they could not pass up on other candidates who have more experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with documentation and gathering requirements?

What experience do you have working with other teams to solve a problem?

What coding languages are you familiar with and have a working knowledge to communicate with the tech teams?

Explain why you chose your college major and what career aspirations do you have in the future?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Orange, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was nervous about where the interview was going to be but luckily it's at the airport in which you are applying.

Two people interviewed me, didn't mention their positions. The woman that was not wearing the Southwest uniform did most of the questioning but they were both really friendly. I know that the woman not wearing a uniform split her time between Orange County and Arizona.

They are really friendly and silly and want you to be comfortable enough to answer truthfully! It isn't hard to engage in small talk with them as they are not stiff and just trying to fill out paperwork. They are trying to make sure you are good for the company and company mission.

I applied in early March, interviewed last Tuesday on March 31 and took my drug test today (April 6) and am scheduled to go to fingerprinting. Flying out to Oakland Thursday (April 9)