Southwest Airlines

Updated Aug 13, 2014

Average Difficulty
171 candidate interviews

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online, got a call for a phone interview a few months later. Phone interview was very laid back and easy. Asked questions about my previous work experience, as well as why I left former jobs. They sent me on to the next step which was F2F interview. Southwest flies you to your interview and flies you back. Which is a plus in this industry! Interview was easy and laid back. Asked questions about why I want to be a FA, and work for Southwest, etc. Also asked to name a situation in which I had an angry customer and how did I handle it.

Interview Question – What would be the most challenging part of working as a Flight Attendant?   View Answer

Ramp Agent Interview

Ramp Agent
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call and spoke to a recruiter we did a phone interview and was asked a few questions. I was told that I would hear back withing a week whether or not I would get another interview. 30 minutes later I received a call from the same lady requesting to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. I was elated. 2 days later I showed up at Southwest Airlines HQ and was asked to fill out some paper work soon after I was guided to my interview early! It was not bad at all. The interviewers were all nice and polite.

Interview Question – Why Southwest over any other Airline?   Answer Question

Technical Writer/ Interview

Technical Writer/
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting a resume online, a recruiter called me for a brief conversation about my college experience and why I wanted to work for Southwest. He followed up with a second phone call requesting I come in for a face-to-face interview, where the recruiter facilitated the 45-minute interview with the department head. I took an editing test (the position requires knowledge of editing marks, proofreading, and grammar) in a separate room after the interview, and heard back from the Company a month later. The process is very seamless, but few people get called back. If the phone rings from Southwest, answer it.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult college course?   View Answer

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Sent in resume December 2013 and received an email stating I would receive a call with in 2 a weeks. Received the call 3weeks later and it was the actual phone interview.

Interview Question – Vague question was" Tell me about customer service. ". Caught me off guard as there was nothing specific regarding the subject . I was informed that I would receive an email if I would go on to the face to face interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screen then flown out for in person interview. No coding. When they say they will get back to you in a certain timeframe they mean it. You'll never be left wondering if you will be moving forward or not.

Interview Question – Be yourself and have fun. They want you for who you are, not necessarily your expertise. They know they can mold the right person and teach you what you don't know.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screening, face to face with team and hiring manager. Provided example of projects and role. Describe difficult situation and how I handle it. Ask how I would handle a difficult user, difficult assignment or difficult boss

Interview Question – none, asked for experience and back ground and situational questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, agency and I pre set the rate

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Received a letter to come for an interview....I had one interview and was hired that day. Went for drug screening and was called for a class date a month later.

Negotiation Details – Take whatever they offer if you want the job.

Airline Pilot (First Officer) Interview

Airline Pilot (First Officer)
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Fantastic process and people conducting the interviews. Really tried to sell their company to you as much as you were trying to sell yourself to them. Three part interview - Panel (one HR person and a pilot), Logbook review (one pilot), Line Oriented Interview 7 min scenario (two pilots). Great brief before it started by their Director of Hiring.

Interview Question – Have you applied with any other airline? (Tough question because you don't want to say yes, but being honest is important to me)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Initially applied online -had a phone interview and days later a F2F, with the same recruiter. The F2F interview basically wanted to know how your previous exp related to interetest position. Your personality MUST be fitting w/ SWA! They are all about persnality and fun atmosphere.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard! Or unexpected! At all.. just asked specifics about tell me about a time when, customer is not satisfied, what would you do type of questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, it's was already learned upon the phone interview.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Several phone interviews, then face-to-face interview in Dallas. I had a very positive experience meeting a panel of employees from the market planning department in person. Recruiters were very friendly, both on the phone and in person.

Interview Question – Interesting question about the intersection of Southwest and the arts.   Answer Question