Southwest Airlines

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2013.

I applied for several positions. Sent me emails that I didn't make the cut for all but one. They called to set up phone interview (basic resume questions). Then they called for an in-person interview. Flew out to Dallas, met with recruiter, a manager , and current HR intern. Everything went well; they were all nice.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2013.

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this.

If my caller ID didn't say SW Airlines on it, I probably would have thought it was a scammer.

Interview Questions

I wrote most of it in the hiring and interview process. In summary they offered the wrong position, pay rate way below average and were not competent interviewers

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2013.

Applied for a position at SFO and got an e-mail the next week saying they will be conducting phone interviews the next day up until 6 weeks so give it some time. I then got a call the 2nd day after the e-mail and the lady asked me (see interview questions below). All in all very professional and funny too. Didn't really ask me too many questions because I worked for airline somewhat like Southwest for 4 years basically doing the same thing they do but the planes I worked on were a lot bigger. I think if you like to workout, I think this is the job for you because you are basically getting paid to workout.Got a call for face to face interview in 2 weeks so hopefully it goes well. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions
    • What are the basic requirements to work for this position?   View Answer
    • Asks about your resume and recent jobs.   Answer Question
    • Why Skywest?   View Answer
    • Can you bend, lift, stand, twist up to 70 pounds?   View Answer
    • Can you be able to travel up to 2 weeks for training possibly in another state?   View Answer

Customer Relations Analyst Interview

1stpPhone interview (behavioral), 2nd phone interview (technical), then flew down to Dallas for an in person interview with recruiter and manager

Low Pay & no travel/housing stipend

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2010.

Initial phone interview to discuss background, experience, resume and why I want to become a part of Southwest Airlines. In person interview consisted of meeting with five managers in my future department and an HR representative, then a presentation to the group I would eventually be working with. This presentation is typically in front of 5-10 people, others have been in front of 25+. Second in-person interview was with the group lead and group manager to further discuss experience, interests, expectations and get a feel for personality. This was the most laid back interview and the candidate basically leads this interview and is the time to iron out questions and other issues. Salary is never discussed until the offer is mad.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you have handled in the workplace and how did you overcome it.   View Answer
    Several back and forth conversations on salary. Offered a higher salary, grade and title than I originally applied for based on experience and education.

Alignment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2008.

It was a great time! Everyone nice. Even the petting zoo was a lot of fun! We also got to go to Six Flags after dinner!

Senior Build Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2009.

Got a call from a recruiter about the position, submitted resume and waited a couple of months, then finally got a phone screen on a Friday, with a Interview the following Thursday, received the offer on my way out from the office, started work the next Monday.

In Flight Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

I applied online for a position and in 2 days recieved a phone interview. The interviewer said I would hear from her in 2 weeks. In 2 days it will be 2 weeks and I am nervous. I would like to know if they call you for a phone interview does that mean you get a face to face interview?

Customer Representative Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

I received a call to set up a call for a phone interview. The recruiter called 15 minutes late, obviously had not read my resume and I could hear her drinking a beverage/chewing gum. During the call, I was asked if I had read the job description. After stating I had, the woman then read it to me and asked me to state it in my own words. I found this to be very poor in that as I had stated I had - asking me to state my understanding would be a way of ascertaining if I had a clear understanding. She then asked if I would fit in the uniform and yelled at me for not having the exact dates on my resume (like 1/1/2010). Not surprisingly, I received a rejection letter. What was surprising was that it contained 8 grammar errors, 2 different types of font and 3 sizes of font. SW used to have a great reputation - how it can last with this recruiting team is beyond me. Maybe because they hire only people who are grateful to drink the kool-aid?

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit if you don't have any experience?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

First, informal telephone interview. After that I was invited to a face to face interview. I was interviewed by two people and asked a series of questions. The whole interview process is very relaxed. We were laughing throughout the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What did I like most about my current job.   View Answer
    I haven't gotten that far. They did tell me what the salary is, said someone will be flying in from Dallas to make an offer, and when they make the offer, whatever it is, I WILL TAKE IT.