Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Oakland, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, maybe a month later got an email asking to send resume and the best phone number to be reached at. The next morning I got a phone call with simple questions about my past work experience, why Southwest, and what do customer service agents do... I'm guessing to see if you know about the position you applied for. After that she said she would give me a call in a week to let me know because she had other interviews to do but to my surprise she called me back in a couple of hours to set up a F2F interview. The interview was for the following week and I had to bring my drivers license, social security card and GED. Was a one on one interview but there was the manager sitting in the room from the airport you would be working at. Was a little nervous because she didn't ask question but she looked at you the whole time while you answered questions. Once again simple questions like why Southwest, the time you had to deal with an angry customer, and the time you went out your way to help a co worker. She also went over my work experience again. Interview only lasted about 10mins, she then made copies of my papers and let me know either way if I got the job or not I would receive a email or a phone call letting me know. They held interviews the day before and would be doing it all day that day so nobody got a straight yes or no, its just a wait and see. Either a rejection email or a email asking you to come in for fingerprints and drug test. So now I just sit and wait and hope for the best. I want the job but so do 100s of other people. I have no idea how many people they want and what kinda people they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• I guess the only unexpected question was what was my weakness.. I had to really stop and think about it   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Initially applied online -had a phone interview and days later a F2F, with the same recruiter. The F2F interview basically wanted to know how your previous exp related to interetest position. Your personality MUST be fitting w/ SWA! They are all about persnality and fun atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were hard! Or unexpected! At all.. just asked specifics about tell me about a time when, customer is not satisfied, what would you do type of questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, it's was already learned upon the phone interview.

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied for several positions. Sent me emails that I didn't make the cut for all but one. They called to set up phone interview (basic resume questions). Then they called for an in-person interview. Flew out to Dallas, met with recruiter, a manager , and current HR intern. Everything went well; they were all nice.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this.

If my caller ID didn't say SW Airlines on it, I probably would have thought it was a scammer.

Interview Questions

I wrote most of it in the hiring and interview process. In summary they offered the wrong position, pay rate way below average and were not competent interviewers

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied for a position at SFO and got an e-mail the next week saying they will be conducting phone interviews the next day up until 6 weeks so give it some time. I then got a call the 2nd day after the e-mail and the lady asked me (see interview questions below). All in all very professional and funny too. Didn't really ask me too many questions because I worked for airline somewhat like Southwest for 4 years basically doing the same thing they do but the planes I worked on were a lot bigger. I think if you like to workout, I think this is the job for you because you are basically getting paid to workout.Got a call for face to face interview in 2 weeks so hopefully it goes well. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• What are the basic requirements to work for this position?   1 Answer
    • Asks about your resume and recent jobs.   Answer Question
    • Why Skywest?   1 Answer
    • Can you bend, lift, stand, twist up to 70 pounds?   1 Answer
    • Can you be able to travel up to 2 weeks for training possibly in another state?   1 Answer

Interview

1stpPhone interview (behavioral), 2nd phone interview (technical), then flew down to Dallas for an in person interview with recruiter and manager

Low Pay & no travel/housing stipend

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview to discuss background, experience, resume and why I want to become a part of Southwest Airlines. In person interview consisted of meeting with five managers in my future department and an HR representative, then a presentation to the group I would eventually be working with. This presentation is typically in front of 5-10 people, others have been in front of 25+. Second in-person interview was with the group lead and group manager to further discuss experience, interests, expectations and get a feel for personality. This was the most laid back interview and the candidate basically leads this interview and is the time to iron out questions and other issues. Salary is never discussed until the offer is mad.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult situation you have handled in the workplace and how did you overcome it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Several back and forth conversations on salary. Offered a higher salary, grade and title than I originally applied for based on experience and education.

Alignment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

It was a great time! Everyone nice. Even the petting zoo was a lot of fun! We also got to go to Six Flags after dinner!

Senior Build Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter about the position, submitted resume and waited a couple of months, then finally got a phone screen on a Friday, with a Interview the following Thursday, received the offer on my way out from the office, started work the next Monday.