Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.7

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by F2F at their LoveField Office. The DBA team is managed by a woman and there is another indian woman who was working as a DBA there for 13 years interviewed. This Indian lady does not even have prior DBA work experience before joining SouthWest Airlines and the weird thing is that this lady manager completely succumbed to her subordinate who does not even have an iota of etiquette. Worst place to go for interview and fortunately I denied their offer after going through lot of weird questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

During the interview, the staff was very friendly and helpful which made it more relaxing. There was a phone interview that asked basic screening questions. After that, there was an email for a interview in person. They set up a flight for you to get to Dallas, TX.

Operations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Nothing happens overnight here. I first applied online on April 11. It wasn't until April 27 that I was sent the real application, which is very extensive. I filled it out immediately and was able to schedule a phone interview for the following day. I did tons of research on the company and took notes. I felt that I was extremely qualified for the position based upon my work experience and my eagerness to join the SWA family. And I felt that I was very prepared for the phone interview.

I was over-prepared. I was asked nothing about the company. We basically went through my job history one by one, only to confirm that what I wrote on the application was accurate. The questions were like, "Did you work for so and so from this date to this date?" Well, yes I did. That's why it's on my application. Of course, I didn't say that, but I was disappointed that this wasn't really an interview at all. At the end of about 15 minutes, I was told there were other interviews scheduled and that I should hear from them within one week. On May 1, I was informed that I was not selected to proceed in the hiring process.

Sad face.

P.S. Starting pay is $10.61/hr

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SWA?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me what an Operation Agent does?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Process begins with initial resume submission and upon screening by HR department, if skill set match the position, they will actually give you a phone call followed by an email. The first call basically was a congrats and that I was being considered for the position. Next, they scheduled a phone interview where they asked how would my skill set help the company. Also, they inquired about my customer service experience. Upon conclusion of the phone call, they indicated that I would be contacted regarding the next step in the process, which would entail a face to face interview. They contacted me in about three days via a phone call and email to arrange the interview. The interview took place two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your experiences.   1 Answer
    • They asked me to describe the duties of the position.   Answer Question
    • When you walk into a business, name three things that stick out to you.   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process took roughly 2-3 weeks. southwest background is NO JOKE' they are extremely thorough. I suggest you make sure everything that is on your resume can be verified & reflects what you put on the application. I was so excited going through the background process being flew out of state until a discrepancy with a job date, denied me. Wonderful company nonetheless. Best of luck

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

phone screen first then in person penal interview.
    Wait another week to receive result.
    questions are easy but might be further questioned on your answers.
    Getting understand what they are looking for is important.

Interview Questions

• tech skills, opportunity within the team. what to do to help the team. what to improve.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied when Southwest Airlines came to our university to talk to us. First there was a phone interview and after that was the in-person interview. The in-person interview was with the same guy, I had the phone interview with but there was someone else also there. The recruiter the person I had the phone interview with briefly told me the interview was going to be similar as the phone, but it was not that similar.

Interview Questions

• What would be things you look for to see if we wanted to move in to another city?
      Talk about projects you've worked with, and experiences at your previous jobs.

Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a call about a week after applying online. At the end of the short phone screening I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The interviewer asked what I did at my previous jobs and why I left. At the end of the interview, was told that I would hear back after the completion of my drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest Airlines ?   1 Answer

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background.

The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions.

The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response.

Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Fist round was a phone interview, about 20 mins, briefly went through my resume. Then on-site internview with 2 hiring managers and 1 hr. Was a good interview about 40 mins, not too hard. Some behavior questions.