Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.8

Customer Representative Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

I received a call to set up a call for a phone interview. The recruiter called 15 minutes late, obviously had not read my resume and I could hear her drinking a beverage/chewing gum. During the call, I was asked if I had read the job description. After stating I had, the woman then read it to me and asked me to state it in my own words. I found this to be very poor in that as I had stated I had - asking me to state my understanding would be a way of ascertaining if I had a clear understanding. She then asked if I would fit in the uniform and yelled at me for not having the exact dates on my resume (like 1/1/2010). Not surprisingly, I received a rejection letter. What was surprising was that it contained 8 grammar errors, 2 different types of font and 3 sizes of font. SW used to have a great reputation - how it can last with this recruiting team is beyond me. Maybe because they hire only people who are grateful to drink the kool-aid?

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit if you don't have any experience?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

First, informal telephone interview. After that I was invited to a face to face interview. I was interviewed by two people and asked a series of questions. The whole interview process is very relaxed. We were laughing throughout the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What did I like most about my current job.   View Answer
    I haven't gotten that far. They did tell me what the salary is, said someone will be flying in from Dallas to make an offer, and when they make the offer, whatever it is, I WILL TAKE IT.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

Typical behavioral interview, asked question like "what are strengths and weaknesses", and "what do you do in your free time." Also, spoke for quite some time about position and decision making process. Very scripted. Was told I might be flown out and asked for my drivers license info, next day received an email (not a personal one, sent to all who were rejected) saying I wasn't selected

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2011.

The interview process went well. It was only one software solution that kept me away from getting the position. But I would definitely apply again to other positions.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

I applied online and got an email a day later. They noticed my application and wanted to hold a phone interview, They had me come in for an interview a day later. They said they will let me know in a week if I'm chosen. I got an email the same day wanting me to go do a drug test. Two days I was hired.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for there was a set hourly rate.

In Flight Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2011.

Applied online. Received call from recruiter about a month later (we spoke over the weekend even!). After outlining the job responsibilities and duty location, she then informed me of the salary right upfront. The salary offered was non-negotiable and was, unfortunately too far below what I could accept as a minimum. When I told her this, she asked me if I wanted to pull my resume from consideration (and recomfirmed several times, trying her best to give me every opportunity possible!). When I said yes, it concluded the phone interview, as there was no point in going any further. We was very nice througout our conversation, even though I could tell was a little frustrated with me. Overall a pleasant experience - just saddened that I couldn't press on.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand the job description, location, and salary as they have been explained to you, and are they acceptable?   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2011.

Was a long process, some people say it is harder to get a job with southwest then to get into an ivy league school (percentage wise at least). The 1:1 interview was the easiest part, the background check you have to wait for is the real pain.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2011.

Applied online and received a phone interview about a week later. Before the phone interview was over, I was invited to a 1:1 interview. I was also told to expect an email with further instructions. The email contained the background check information as well as the drug screening process.

1:1 interview went well. I felt I was overly qualified but have been told by other SWA employees to take what is available to simply get into the system. A couple of days after the interview, I was called and offered a position.

Interview Questions
    Union job, so no negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

I applied online and about a week later I got a phone call from SWA. The lady on the phone went over the salary and job description. She then asked "why I wanted to work for SWA" after that she asked if I wanted to do a 1:1. I accepted and a week later I interviewed. The interview process was fast, get you in and get you out. I was there for an hour and saw 5 people come in and out and they were interviewing for 2 days. The interview-1:1 the interview had my resume and read over it and asked the usual, "tell me a little more about this job and that job." The questions I was asked was. "why do you want to work for SWA & out of all you jobs what was your least favorite and why & have you flown with SWA?" other than that just a lot of small talk and laughing. After that they took copies of my diploma and ID's and fingerprinted me. Like I said it was a very fast process and was in and out, not the funny crazy fun time I was expecting, but hey they are busy I understand. They said they would get back to me in 3 weeks.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

Applied online October 8th. Was called October 19th for a phone interview appointment for the next day. Had my phone interview as scheduled; the interviewer was very friendly and fun. At the conclusion of the interview, I was PROMISED I would hear back by phone or email within TWO weeks as to whether I was among the fortunate few that would be moving on to an in-person interview. Two weeks passed and no notice. I let it go because I know they were phone-interviewing approximately 400 of the 800 who applied (I asked). Another week went by and still no response. So I emailed the woman who first contacted me by email with no response. I called the woman who interviewed me, but her voicemail answered. Three days later I finally got the rejection email. All told, the entire process from application to rejection was 40 days, and included 13 days of not receiving the correspondence I had been promised.

Nevertheless, I still respect SWA and will be a regular customer of theirs in the future. Truth be told, I wasn't going to be a good fit for the job. I just was willing to do the grunt work for 12-24 months to eventually post out to positions that would fit me better.

Interview Questions
    • Same standard phone-interview questions so many others have posted here... no surprises if you read the other postings and be ready to answer those questions.   Answer Question