Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.7

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied for several positions. Sent me emails that I didn't make the cut for all but one. They called to set up phone interview (basic resume questions). Then they called for an in-person interview. Flew out to Dallas, met with recruiter, a manager , and current HR intern. Everything went well; they were all nice.

Operations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Nothing happens overnight here. I first applied online on April 11. It wasn't until April 27 that I was sent the real application, which is very extensive. I filled it out immediately and was able to schedule a phone interview for the following day. I did tons of research on the company and took notes. I felt that I was extremely qualified for the position based upon my work experience and my eagerness to join the SWA family. And I felt that I was very prepared for the phone interview. I was over-prepared. I was asked nothing about the company. We basically went through my job history one by one, only to confirm that what I wrote on the application was accurate. The questions were like, "Did you work for so and so from this date to this date?" Well, yes I did. That's why it's on my application. Of course, I didn't say that, but I was disappointed that this wasn't really an interview at all. At the end of about 15 minutes, I was told there were other interviews scheduled and that I should hear from them within one week. On May 1, I was informed that I was not selected to proceed in the hiring process. Sad face. P.S. Starting pay is $10.61/hr

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SWA?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me what an Operation Agent does?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this. If my caller ID didn't say SW Airlines on it, I probably would have thought it was a scammer.

Interview Questions

I wrote most of it in the hiring and interview process. In summary they offered the wrong position, pay rate way below average and were not competent interviewers

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview to discuss background, experience, resume and why I want to become a part of Southwest Airlines. In person interview consisted of meeting with five managers in my future department and an HR representative, then a presentation to the group I would eventually be working with. This presentation is typically in front of 5-10 people, others have been in front of 25+. Second in-person interview was with the group lead and group manager to further discuss experience, interests, expectations and get a feel for personality. This was the most laid back interview and the candidate basically leads this interview and is the time to iron out questions and other issues. Salary is never discussed until the offer is mad.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult situation you have handled in the workplace and how did you overcome it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Several back and forth conversations on salary. Offered a higher salary, grade and title than I originally applied for based on experience and education.

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied for a position at SFO and got an e-mail the next week saying they will be conducting phone interviews the next day up until 6 weeks so give it some time. I then got a call the 2nd day after the e-mail and the lady asked me (see interview questions below). All in all very professional and funny too. Didn't really ask me too many questions because I worked for airline somewhat like Southwest for 4 years basically doing the same thing they do but the planes I worked on were a lot bigger. I think if you like to workout, I think this is the job for you because you are basically getting paid to workout.Got a call for face to face interview in 2 weeks so hopefully it goes well. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• What are the basic requirements to work for this position?   1 Answer
    • Asks about your resume and recent jobs.   Answer Question
    • Why Skywest?   1 Answer
    • Can you bend, lift, stand, twist up to 70 pounds?   1 Answer
    • Can you be able to travel up to 2 weeks for training possibly in another state?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got an email a day later. They noticed my application and wanted to hold a phone interview, They had me come in for an interview a day later. They said they will let me know in a week if I'm chosen. I got an email the same day wanting me to go do a drug test. Two days I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest Airlines?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with an upset customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for there was a set hourly rate.

Alignment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

It was a great time! Everyone nice. Even the petting zoo was a lot of fun! We also got to go to Six Flags after dinner!

Senior Build Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter about the position, submitted resume and waited a couple of months, then finally got a phone screen on a Friday, with a Interview the following Thursday, received the offer on my way out from the office, started work the next Monday.

Customer Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

Interview

I received a call to set up a call for a phone interview. The recruiter called 15 minutes late, obviously had not read my resume and I could hear her drinking a beverage/chewing gum. During the call, I was asked if I had read the job description. After stating I had, the woman then read it to me and asked me to state it in my own words. I found this to be very poor in that as I had stated I had - asking me to state my understanding would be a way of ascertaining if I had a clear understanding. She then asked if I would fit in the uniform and yelled at me for not having the exact dates on my resume (like 1/1/2010). Not surprisingly, I received a rejection letter. What was surprising was that it contained 8 grammar errors, 2 different types of font and 3 sizes of font. SW used to have a great reputation - how it can last with this recruiting team is beyond me. Maybe because they hire only people who are grateful to drink the kool-aid?

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit if you don't have any experience?   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Houston, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

First, informal telephone interview. After that I was invited to a face to face interview. I was interviewed by two people and asked a series of questions. The whole interview process is very relaxed. We were laughing throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• What did I like most about my current job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I haven't gotten that far. They did tell me what the salary is, said someone will be flying in from Dallas to make an offer, and when they make the offer, whatever it is, I WILL TAKE IT.