Southwest Airlines

163 candidate interviews

Intern Interview

Intern
Dallas, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very personable phone (behavioral questions) interview. Flew back to headquarters for a subsequent interview

Interview Question – Why Southwest   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on the internship side :)

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call about an open position in the supply chain department. Had a simple phone interview discussing your resume. Scheduled an in person interview. Southwest Airlines flew me out to Dallas the next week. Had an interview with my supervisor and a mentor, all were very friendly. Offered me the position as I walked out the door. Really good experience everyone was very friendly.

Interview Question – Mostly questions about your resume.
Why you chose Southwest Airlines, make sure to emphasize your passion for aviation and the airline industry.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for internships

Aviation Maintenance Internship Interview

Aviation Maintenance Internship

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details – First, there was a phone interview where the recruiter asked general behavioral questions. About a week later, I was invited to an interview in Dallas at their headquarters. This interview was with the same recruiter on the phone, as well as two managers. I was asked pretty much the same questions I was asked in the phone interview. When I was called back to be notified that I didn't get the internship, the recruiter let me know that it was because my interests did not seem to coincide with the position.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question

Purchasing Intern Interview

Purchasing Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview that lasts about 5-7 minutes, very simple straight forward, academic curriculum kind of questions.
If selected you go to corporate office for an interview with 3 people. Hr, director and manager from the department.
Lot of behavioral questions on weaknesses, group leadership, ask you for an essay.
Resume questions, why south west, why purchasing, why should we hire you, what would you be doing in the long term.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, please go after this internship since learning matters more than earning for interns. Great atmosphere, great culture and relaxed parties every week.
Southwest is the best place to work in my opinion, you do not see companies like SWA in today's picture. Out of 5000 applicants 50 get selected.

No Limits Internship/IT Technical Analyst Interview

No Limits Internship/IT Technical Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by HR to set up an interview with a recruiter. The recruiter just asked me basic questions about Why Southwest? and different aspects of my resume. She also asked me why I chose the University I chose for studies and what got me interested in my major. It was pretty friendly and like a conversation.

Then a week later, they flew me out to Dallas. They did not give a hotel or anything and just put the whole interview and traveling in one day which was very hectic. I met with two managers and they told me about their jobs and they asked me more questions about my resume. I would probably have worked with these two manager had I taken the position. The managers seemed really into what they were doing and I really enjoyed their enthusiasm. There honestly wasnt anything technical asked during the whole interview.

Interview Question – Why Southwest?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was quite low compared to similar internships for other companies.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2009.

Interview Details – Promoted from within - 2 interviews / focused on direct interaction with people and solving problems to avoid complaints and how resolved. Process takes aprox 3 weeks, after which you will travel several times for various "training" reasons. First interview is general phone interview after which you will interview with Station manager. Much of the same questions asked at each.

Interview Question – Must provide specific details of events related to customer service solutions in a past situation - both positive and negative outcomes and be prepared to provide answers for "what would you do if" & "what could you have done to make this situation better".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they make offer and you take it or leave it.

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Culture Activities Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online near the application due date. You just submit your resume online (so it needs to make you stand-out!). About a week later, I received an email asking for my "Why I want to work for Southwest Airlines" essay. Again, you need to make yourself stand-out! Once my essay was submitted, there was a phone interview. During the phone interview, you go over your resume and explain things in further detail. After that, I was scheduled to fly to Dallas for an in-person interview. When you have your flight set, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS YOUR FLIGHT. Arrive plenty early in case of anything unexpected occurrences happening. Once you get to Dallas, you take the Employee shuttle from the Airport to Headquarters. You fill out some paperwork and they do a fingerprint scan. Your recruiter, who you have been talking with, comes out and escorts you back to the interview room where it will be you, the recruiter, and your potential boss. The interview was much easier than I thought! You basically do the same thing and talk about the same things as your phone interview, but this time it is in front of your potential boss! They want to see your FUN-LUVing attitude, Warrior's Spirit, and Servant's Heart. If you don't have a lot of work experience, then they want to see Volunteer experience. On top of that, they want you to have FUN! Take that to mind when you go in for the interview. Yes, you need to be serious, but you can crack a joke here and there (if appropriate). So just be yourself and they will see that! If you don't receive an offer ask them what you can improve on and they will definitely tell you ways to improve!

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview were the questions about "what have you done in this situation...". For example, I was asked, "what is an example where you took initiative to get things done without being told." There are lots of situational questions during the interview. Think about what your job requires and what it takes to be a good Employee and examples of how you have shown those things!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, but if you get chosen as a Southwest Airlines Intern, then you should be happy with that!

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Question – Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Question – What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.

Senior Planning Analyst Interview

Senior Planning Analyst

I applied in-person and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview and then two in person interviews (3-4 people in each) followed by a job offer.

Interview Question – lot of scenario based questions   Answer Question