Southwest Airlines

146 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Purchasing Intern Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details – 1. They send me an email for an updated resume
2. Phone me for a phone interview time
3. Phone interview of about 20 minutes: going through resume, why swa, why this position. 4. On site of 30 min which consisted of HR + 3 managers .
5. They call me to tell me that i was accepted
6. Drug test and background check
The whole interview and acceptance process was within 2 weeks. Everything went to fast . SWA are really friendly and makes the whole process easy for interviewees, you wont feel unwelcome or nervous.

Interview Question – Why SWA. Why this position. Which was the class that you liked most. Which class you like least. What is your experience with SAP. Talk about experience in previous jobs. Ask extracurricular activities.
Know your resume !
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need of negotiation. Money is not as important as the experience that one will get. They are a great company to learn from.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2009.

Interview Details – Promoted from within - 2 interviews / focused on direct interaction with people and solving problems to avoid complaints and how resolved. Process takes aprox 3 weeks, after which you will travel several times for various "training" reasons. First interview is general phone interview after which you will interview with Station manager. Much of the same questions asked at each.

Interview Question – Must provide specific details of events related to customer service solutions in a past situation - both positive and negative outcomes and be prepared to provide answers for "what would you do if" & "what could you have done to make this situation better".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they make offer and you take it or leave it.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2012.

Interview Details – HR recruiter reached me for an updated resume. After an HR screening, an onsite interview was arranged. 4 people including HR and hiring manger and future colleagues panel interview. No technical questions but most behaviour questions. Finally I found that they just wanted to hire AA layoffed people instead of me without any airling experience. Everybody was friendly. But HR was kind of unprefessional. Overall process was a good one.

Interview Question – What can you see urself in future 5 years?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewers and managers were looking for the following,
1. Warrior Spirit
2. Servants Heart
3. Fun loving attitude

Negotiation Details – None

Very Easy Interview

Senior Analyst Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview to discuss background, experience, resume and why I want to become a part of Southwest Airlines. In person interview consisted of meeting with five managers in my future department and an HR representative, then a presentation to the group I would eventually be working with. This presentation is typically in front of 5-10 people, others have been in front of 25+. Second in-person interview was with the group lead and group manager to further discuss experience, interests, expectations and get a feel for personality. This was the most laid back interview and the candidate basically leads this interview and is the time to iron out questions and other issues. Salary is never discussed until the offer is mad.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have handled in the workplace and how did you overcome it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Several back and forth conversations on salary. Offered a higher salary, grade and title than I originally applied for based on experience and education.

Systems Engineer Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring was direct and simple. Interview with other members of the team, and the manager immediately following. Job offer was nearly instantaneous.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Seriously, personality is everything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was through contract company. Pre-negotiated salary was agreed to.

Provisioning Supervisor Interview

Provisioning Supervisor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2012.

Interview Details – Southwest is good at contacting candidates for their open positions, whether you are considered or not. Southwest will fly you out to the city and you will interview with a panel of three, a recruiter, the department manager, and asst. manager. Each will ask a series of questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "Did you ever have to work with a difficult manager? If so, how did ease the tension and preform your task."   Answer Question

Purchasing Intern Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview that lasts about 5-7 minutes, very simple straight forward, academic curriculum kind of questions.
If selected you go to corporate office for an interview with 3 people. Hr, director and manager from the department.
Lot of behavioral questions on weaknesses, group leadership, ask you for an essay.
Resume questions, why south west, why purchasing, why should we hire you, what would you be doing in the long term.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, please go after this internship since learning matters more than earning for interns. Great atmosphere, great culture and relaxed parties every week.
Southwest is the best place to work in my opinion, you do not see companies like SWA in today's picture. Out of 5000 applicants 50 get selected.

Senior Analyst Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process is very laid back. Rather than a typical Q&A format, the interview is a conversation and may not go the direction you think it will. Southwest is very big about making sure an applicant's personality will fit into the unique culture of Southwest. Using specific examples of how you exhibit a Servant's Heart, Warrior Spirit, and Fun-Luving attitude are key!

Interview Question – Tell me about something someone has said about you that you believe is untrue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Data Analyst Intern Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2010.

Interview Details – I received an email from Southwest Airlines asking my availability on the date and time for the phone interview with HR. There are only two rounds. The first round is via phone with the HR asking questions based on your resume and behavioral questions. Next round is face-to-face with the team members asking technical questions in Excel and SQL.

Interview Question – What is the difference between UNION and UNION ALL?
What is the difference between DELETE and TRUNCATE?
How would you find median value for a given columns?
  View Answer