Southwest Airlines Interview Questions & Reviews

175 interviews

2.8

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

phone interview after application 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • almost behavior questions, and detail about your resume.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2013.

I put in an app online. about 2 weeks later i got a random phone call. it was a recruiter. she asked me if i was still interested and then asked some basic interview questions. it was kind of a surprise phone interview. (i was at dinner, not expecting that) At the end of the phone interview she scheduled my face to face. i did the F2F with a recruiter and the operations manager of my location (IND). got emailed 4 days later to set up drug test and finger prints. waiting for my start date

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a chaotic time at your last employer and how you handled it.
      Do you know about SW fun-luving culture?
        Answer Question
    no negotiations

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

I applied online near the application due date. You just submit your resume online (so it needs to make you stand-out!). About a week later, I received an email asking for my "Why I want to work for Southwest Airlines" essay. Again, you need to make yourself stand-out! Once my essay was submitted, there was a phone interview. During the phone interview, you go over your resume and explain things in further detail. After that, I was scheduled to fly to Dallas for an in-person interview. When you have your flight set, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS YOUR FLIGHT. Arrive plenty early in case of anything unexpected occurrences happening. Once you get to Dallas, you take the Employee shuttle from the Airport to Headquarters. You fill out some paperwork and they do a fingerprint scan. Your recruiter, who you have been talking with, comes out and escorts you back to the interview room where it will be you, the recruiter, and your potential boss. The interview was much easier than I thought! You basically do the same thing and talk about the same things as your phone interview, but this time it is in front of your potential boss! They want to see your FUN-LUVing attitude, Warrior's Spirit, and Servant's Heart. If you don't have a lot of work experience, then they want to see Volunteer experience. On top of that, they want you to have FUN! Take that to mind when you go in for the interview. Yes, you need to be serious, but you can crack a joke here and there (if appropriate). So just be yourself and they will see that! If you don't receive an offer ask them what you can improve on and they will definitely tell you ways to improve!

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview were the questions about "what have you done in this situation...". For example, I was asked, "what is an example where you took initiative to get things done without being told." There are lots of situational questions during the interview. Think about what your job requires and what it takes to be a good Employee and examples of how you have shown those things!   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, but if you get chosen as a Southwest Airlines Intern, then you should be happy with that!

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

Spoke with a station representative (in my case, the station manager; others spoke with ramp supervisors) and we discussed the position and what it entails. Asked general interview questions.

none- CBA

Internship Interview

two rounds: one phone interview and one face to face

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I was initially approached by Southwest to become an Employee through my relationship that I had working for a vendor of Southwest. When I was brought in to interview, it lasted about half a day, and included interviews with the VP for whom I would be working, the VP of the People Department, and 2 other directors in my department. All in all it was a positive experience, and very non-threatening.

One of the things that was not ever shared with me through the process, however, was the impact of not starting until after January 1. You see, things like profit sharing are awarded to those who are Employees as of December 31. I started the first week in January, and missed an entire year's worth of profit sharing (and at the time Southwest was giving double-digit profit sharing) because I was not informed or told about that caveat.

Interview Questions
    • The most complicated question was providing an example of when I had something go horribly wrong, and what I did I do in response.   Answer Question
    I did not have much ability to negotiate. I was unable to get any type of pay raise with the new position and was told that my current salary was the best they could do.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Hiring process went very fast. I was called for tefonic interview, 2 days later I was called in for in-person interview. I have beeing called in for in-person interview twice so far but did not go through :( Questions were mostly behavioral and situational, and very specific to the tasks handled a per resume.

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on the latest Air Trans and SWA merger/acquisition. How would you forecast for maybe 1 year ? On what parameters ?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Linthicum, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I interviewed online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
    After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
    Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
    The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
    After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Questions
    • Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer
    No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Fair and highly professional.

Simple and real.