Southwest Airlines

163 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aircraft Mechanic Interview

Aircraft Mechanic

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details – Interview process begins with practical skills and knowledge tests. After passing, the interview is conducted by other aircraft mechanics. The interview is very friendly with an emphasis on getting to know you and your attitude (Southwest calls it "Warrior Spirit"). They want candidates that will bring their experience as well as a willingness to continue to learn and grow. I spoke with one of the interviewers after I was hired to ask a little more about what exactly they were looking for. They wanted an easy going person who was confident in their skills but without any cockiness.

Interview Question – I was asked what my favorite vacation was.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details – Interview / application process was lengthily. Phone interview first, then a phone offer for a face to face. Time frame between the two was about a month. My face to face interview went very well, however, I was told the department went with the family member of an employee.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Ramp Agent
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for a position at SFO and got an e-mail the next week saying they will be conducting phone interviews the next day up until 6 weeks so give it some time. I then got a call the 2nd day after the e-mail and the lady asked me (see interview questions below). All in all very professional and funny too. Didn't really ask me too many questions because I worked for airline somewhat like Southwest for 4 years basically doing the same thing they do but the planes I worked on were a lot bigger. I think if you like to workout, I think this is the job for you because you are basically getting paid to workout.Got a call for face to face interview in 2 weeks so hopefully it goes well. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2013.

Interview Details – There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this.

If my caller ID didn't say SW Airlines on it, I probably would have thought it was a scammer.

Interview Question – Am I speaking with (insert name)?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wrote most of it in the hiring and interview process. In summary they offered the wrong position, pay rate way below average and were not competent interviewers

No Limits Internship/IT Technical Analyst Interview

No Limits Internship/IT Technical Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by HR to set up an interview with a recruiter. The recruiter just asked me basic questions about Why Southwest? and different aspects of my resume. She also asked me why I chose the University I chose for studies and what got me interested in my major. It was pretty friendly and like a conversation.

Then a week later, they flew me out to Dallas. They did not give a hotel or anything and just put the whole interview and traveling in one day which was very hectic. I met with two managers and they told me about their jobs and they asked me more questions about my resume. I would probably have worked with these two manager had I taken the position. The managers seemed really into what they were doing and I really enjoyed their enthusiasm. There honestly wasnt anything technical asked during the whole interview.

Interview Question – Why Southwest?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was quite low compared to similar internships for other companies.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details – Call/Inperson interview

Interview Question – Technical questions   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Service Interview

Ramp Agent Service

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had a recruiter who wanted to talk to me. They sent me a message saying I was up for a phone interview with zero choice of time or date. Given they call from a different state- they had no respect for the fact that the area I was in had just experienced a major tornado and there wasn't power and phone lines that were functioning were minimal.

When the recruiter finally called, she asked me nothing about what would make me a good candidate for the position. All she seemed to be fixated on was how old I was-and why I only had an 8 year job history, not 10 (I would have been 14 ten years ago).

She ask me why I left me last job and I explained that my entire dept. had their positions eliminated. . . The interviewer then said "oh so you were fired for doing a bad job".... obviously, she had no clue what she what the difference between laid off and termination meant.

Interview Question – How old are you   View Answer

Purchasing Intern Interview

Purchasing Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details – 1. They send me an email for an updated resume
2. Phone me for a phone interview time
3. Phone interview of about 20 minutes: going through resume, why swa, why this position. 4. On site of 30 min which consisted of HR + 3 managers .
5. They call me to tell me that i was accepted
6. Drug test and background check
The whole interview and acceptance process was within 2 weeks. Everything went to fast . SWA are really friendly and makes the whole process easy for interviewees, you wont feel unwelcome or nervous.

Interview Question – Why SWA. Why this position. Which was the class that you liked most. Which class you like least. What is your experience with SAP. Talk about experience in previous jobs. Ask extracurricular activities.
Know your resume !
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need of negotiation. Money is not as important as the experience that one will get. They are a great company to learn from.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2009.

Interview Details – Promoted from within - 2 interviews / focused on direct interaction with people and solving problems to avoid complaints and how resolved. Process takes aprox 3 weeks, after which you will travel several times for various "training" reasons. First interview is general phone interview after which you will interview with Station manager. Much of the same questions asked at each.

Interview Question – Must provide specific details of events related to customer service solutions in a past situation - both positive and negative outcomes and be prepared to provide answers for "what would you do if" & "what could you have done to make this situation better".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they make offer and you take it or leave it.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview to discuss background, experience, resume and why I want to become a part of Southwest Airlines. In person interview consisted of meeting with five managers in my future department and an HR representative, then a presentation to the group I would eventually be working with. This presentation is typically in front of 5-10 people, others have been in front of 25+. Second in-person interview was with the group lead and group manager to further discuss experience, interests, expectations and get a feel for personality. This was the most laid back interview and the candidate basically leads this interview and is the time to iron out questions and other issues. Salary is never discussed until the offer is mad.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have handled in the workplace and how did you overcome it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Several back and forth conversations on salary. Offered a higher salary, grade and title than I originally applied for based on experience and education.