Southwest Airlines

Employer Engaged

Southwest Airlines Interview Questions in Phoenix, AZ

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2014.

Applied on line. It was 10 months before I heard from them. Got an email to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to understand the inherent stress in an interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. I tried to answer the question fully and looked for opportunities to inject my personality. Three business days later, I got an email to arrange the in person interview. I was flown at SWA's expense to Phoenix. SWA covers all transportation when you arrive at the interviewing city. Three interviewers couldn't have made it easier. They were very friendly and gave a lot of positive visual feedback. I knew I was doing well. Then came two simple agility tests: walk down an aisle of chairs and sit in a jump seat and go through a cardboard cut out the size of an emergency exit. It's sized so you have to bend down and step through. Both were very easy. I was offered a position on the spot.

The most important thing to keep in mind is SW's culture. Be sure to hit/explain how you have/live 1. A Warrior Spirit 2. A Servant's Heart and 3. Have a FUN-loving attitude. I made sure to cover these in my cover letter, phone and in person interviews.

Be sure to smile. Be sure to be outgoing. Whether you know it or not you are being evaluated and watched all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between hospitality and customer service?   Answer Question
    • Being a flight attendant, you are considered to be a "first responder" in the event of an emergency. How do you think you would handle that responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is a weakness you have and how will you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • You will be away from home 3-4 days a week, how do you feel about that/how are you going to deal with that?   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. It is a union job and you know your starting salary and at what points it goes up.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Two group interviews. Just say you like customers. The first is in the morning at one of the local HR departments. We call this the people department. After Lunch they explain how difficult and demanding the job really is. Many will leave and those left they will pick between eight and ten to interview.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do different as a Southwest Flight Attendant?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Initial Phone call interview, if passed, they will invite you to a group interview with 25+ people. They are asking questions and going around the room. They are talking turns talking with everyone. They will leave the room and watch you on video from another room to see how you interact. They are looking for outgoing talkative people. Look sharp! Ladies wear a suit too! Look like a flight attendant! Full hair and Make up. Guys look shgarp! No facial hair. Short hair, clean cut. You SHOULD know that day if they send you to the next step. They may ask you to stay for a one on one, or they will call you back in for a one on on. Don't worry if you don't find out that day. If you don't hear from them in a week. You most likely didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • They use STAR system so be PREPARED! They ask random quesations like tell me about a most difficult customer exprience, most irate customer and how you handled it. They want people who don't need conatant supervision and can get along well with others. NO AND LOW DRAMA. They are focusing on your customer service skills!   Answer Question
    They offered me the inflight class with pay , 30 days in Dallas, three main meals are taken care of, snacks and laundry facilities are not. it was like $1000 total and you don't get paid until you leave. You arent gauranteed to get position until you graduate. Then thats when you get the offer. I think it now starts at $21 something an hour.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

Applied online October 8th. Was called October 19th for a phone interview appointment for the next day. Had my phone interview as scheduled; the interviewer was very friendly and fun. At the conclusion of the interview, I was PROMISED I would hear back by phone or email within TWO weeks as to whether I was among the fortunate few that would be moving on to an in-person interview. Two weeks passed and no notice. I let it go because I know they were phone-interviewing approximately 400 of the 800 who applied (I asked). Another week went by and still no response. So I emailed the woman who first contacted me by email with no response. I called the woman who interviewed me, but her voicemail answered. Three days later I finally got the rejection email. All told, the entire process from application to rejection was 40 days, and included 13 days of not receiving the correspondence I had been promised.

Nevertheless, I still respect SWA and will be a regular customer of theirs in the future. Truth be told, I wasn't going to be a good fit for the job. I just was willing to do the grunt work for 12-24 months to eventually post out to positions that would fit me better.

Interview Questions
    • Same standard phone-interview questions so many others have posted here... no surprises if you read the other postings and be ready to answer those questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2011.

This was my 2nd interview in 2-years; SWA is the ONLY company I want to work for. I did a lot of pre-interview prep. After phone interview, I was moved on to the 1:1 which went very well. Interviewer was very personable, fair and friendly. But not easy!

Interview Questions
    • What was the most positive customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question
    • On the flip-side, how have you handled an irate customer?   Answer Question
    None.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2010.

I had a phone interview with southwest airlines. At this time, I have been asked to come to an information session. Im not certain if this will be a panel interview, they just said information session. I was hoping to find out infomration on what to expect.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2010.

Applied online via Southwest website. Recruiter contacted me for an unscheduled brief phone interview. During phone interview: I was asked about call center experience, informed of salary starting at $10.80hr + union dues and work hours-schedule varies between 5:00AM-3:00AM, shifts based on seniority. Face to face interview scheduled. During in person interview: asked about handling irate customers, how I build rapport with co-workers, handle constructive criticism, multi tasking, delivering bad news to customer. Offered position immediately following interview, drug test, extensive background check with 10 years work experience. Background check lasted 2 weeks before job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe situation where you had to deliver bad news and how did you satisfy customer?   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate due to union base starting pay. Benefits offered are good parents and dependents fly free on standby, overtime paid at time and 1/2 only if required by supervisor. Regular hourly salary paid if overtime consists of picking up co-worker shift. Responsible for cost of headset $50.00.