Southwest Airlines Ramp Agent Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background.

The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions.

The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response.

Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 qualities important to a ramp agent?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a call about a week after applying online. At the end of the short phone screening I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The interviewer asked what I did at my previous jobs and why I left. At the end of the interview, was told that I would hear back after the completion of my drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest Airlines ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Signed up online, received phone call day later. Then was requested for F2F. The F2F was planed 2 weeks later. Interview consisted with HR person and other employee.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation dealing with a problem in a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, than a phone interview followed by a face to face with 2 interviewers and a ramp supervisor. The next step was fingerprinting followed by background check and a drug test a week later. The process took about two & a half weeks.

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

After a few phone interviews I was invited to a face-to-face interview. They were busy and I had to wait about 30 minutes after my scheduled interview time. There were 5 people in the interview room: 1 person in charge of hiring, 2 supervisors, and 2 people taking notes. It was friendly and I enjoyed the interview.

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Best to apply online. Just be yourself and once you get in the company you can move around both position wise and location. There is also a 6 month probation time. Huge background check.

Interview Questions

• There is a lot of overtime to work and they have what they call "mandatory overtime" so be ready to work the holidays at first.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

Interview

got a call from one of the recruiters and he was rushing the call. asked me about my previous jobs and asked me simple questions of how i would handle different scenarios then he said he would let me know the next week for a face to face so im waiting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

s low pay and no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard and simple. Applied and got a call about a week later and did a 10 minute phone screen which ended with scheduling a face to face a couple days later. After my face to face got the offer 2 days later and began my background and drug screen

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Nothing out of the normal set of interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating. Standard starting rate for everyone and I am new to the industry so didn't expect anything else.