Southwest Airlines Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

You pretty much have to know somebody in the group your applying for be a contractor

Interview Questions

• Interview was fairly standard and not very technical. They try to fit your personality more than your knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

brief and any changes have to filter though 3 level of management.

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2011.

Interview

A ten year job history with all your living addresses. Gaps must have decent explanations. Applicants with many job hops and none or few jobs with two years or more in length are not often selected. Referrals from other employees don't get you past the initial round of application because legally we have to ensure you met the basic qualifications first. Applying more than once helps, meaning if People Department (Recruiting) can see you've been trying for a while then they interpret that as a sincere willingness to get on board. Applicants often act silly thinking we hire towards personality but honestly we just want friendly people not ones that don't take an interview seriously. If you feel that you are really desired don't be afraid to leverage your experience into asking for a full time position over a contract one. It can be difficult to get converted to an employee later. You need to make sure the unit that hires you is one with enough funding to afford the head count to convert you. Also don't hesitate on an open job req. We get more applicants for a single job than most Ivy League schools. The job you're mulling over today may not be an open req tomorrow when you sign back into swajobs.com.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time you provided outrageous customer service?   1 Answer
    • Do you know any of the history around Southwest Airlines?   1 Answer
    • Who are Herb and Colleen?   1 Answer
    • Know your Meyers Briggs personality type.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I hired as a contractor and was converted at six months to FTE. This isn't always how things go. I've seen people who were great just not get converted and after a couple years they have to be released from contract due to co-employment laws. Headcount is a tricky deal with managers and directors having to shuffle decks and pass cards. I wish it wasn't that way considering how much we say People are our most precious asset.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2010.

Interview

A thorough interview process with three people. However, it took them weeks to make an offer.

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

Hiring was direct and simple. Interview with other members of the team, and the manager immediately following. Job offer was nearly instantaneous.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Seriously, personality is everything.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was through contract company. Pre-negotiated salary was agreed to.