Southwest Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.8

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in October 2014.

I applied through the college career website. I had an one-on-one interview with one of their engineers. She mainly talked about the different opportunities at the company. She also asked me about my different experiences and prior jobs. It was short and relaxed. She then told me I have to wait at least a month until a hiring manager contacts me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Research Institute in April 2014.

submit resume online and if they like your resume then you will get a call for an interview. First will be a phonic round and you qualified they will call you for onsite interview. Question will be based on programming skills

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

After a university on-campus interview, I had a full day interview at SwRI. About 6 interviews spanning entry-level engineers to the VP. Lunch was with 3 employees at the cafeteria. A lot of the interviews was listening to what kind of work is done and what the institute model consists of. No technical questions though still tiring.

None, it was an entry-level job and the offer was very fair.

Student Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Met at career fair. Had two interviews with HR student hiring manager. Then I had one interview with the director of the division. All interviews by phone. Mainly behavioral questions

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in January 2013.

submit resume in the job fair on campus, and got interview about 30 min. Basically they asked my questions on my resume, fea.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in December 2012.

The online application process was painful. However, once completed, HR was quick and efficient, and very pleasant to deal with. Setting up travel to interview on site was set up by HR and executed seamlessly. The interview process itself was a very structured, formal process. I met with at least five different interviewers, some of whom asked very technical questions, some of which I found moderately challenging.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me to impedance match using a Smith chart.   View Answer

Could not reach agreeable salary.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Contacted by phone about a month after applying by the hiring manager. The next day I was contacted by HR to set up an interview which was set up in 2 weeks. Was flown out, provided a rental car and hotel room. On the day of, the interview process went from 8:30-3:30p. Lunch was provided. I presented my senior design project to approx. 10-15 people. I had approx. 9 1 on 1 interviews with the engineers which lasted a half hour, throughout the day. I toured the Mechanical Engineering Division's buildings. Everyone I came in contact with was very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a lot about the different types of machinery in the labs.   View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Southwest Research Institute in November 2012.

The interview was with a lady from HR and a male engineer that had been with the company for approximately 2 years. They asked me question about my resume and areas interest, then directed me to their website to apply. It felt like a career fair more than a schedule interview. To make things happen, I had to email the HR director and some family friends. It was a VERY inefficient system.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult/technical questions. They were excited to hear I was open to graduate school in the future   Answer Question

The work is more technical, and academic than I am currently interested in.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in November 2011.

Gave a presentation, then a group interview, then a tour, then another interview.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in November 2010.

I met a recruiter at my university's career fair and then applied for several positions online. The recruiter forwarded a prospective job opportunity to me and an interview was scheduled. SwRI flew me out to San Antonio the night before and the interview took place the next day from around 9am-3pm. I interviewed with multiple employees, with different levels of experience, of the prospective Division on a one on one basis. Two of the engineers took me to the cafeteria for lunch and showed me around the campus.

Each of the engineers asked questions that seemed specific to the topics they dealt with (ie Solid modeling experience, courses I had taken, etc) and a few of the "standard" interview questions. They all then asked if I had questions for them.