Southwest Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an initial phone call after applying on-line. After the initial phone call, a more in-depth phone interview was set up. The phone call was about thirty minutes and they asked me a couple of questions and talked a little about the company and the work they do. After the phone interview, I was invited to a series of interviews on campus. The on-campus interviews took about four hours. I had to give a twenty minute presentation and meet with about four people individually, and one group interview where five employees interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Basic knowledge of Java. Abstract class vs interface, instance method vs class method, etc.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Interview

First interview of the phone, followed by a technical presentation to pears and 1:1 interview. During the technical presentation a large group of pears will ask technical question in detail.

Interview Questions

• How do you fill about writing proposals   1 Answer

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Southwest Research Institute in March 2015.

Interview

It was short and simple. The first interview process was not technical. The interviewer just wanted to know me as a person and what I have done so far in college. They also wanted to know about any skills that would make me different.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my classes and what I enjoyed about the classes I took in college.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through the college career website. I had an one-on-one interview with one of their engineers. She mainly talked about the different opportunities at the company. She also asked me about my different experiences and prior jobs. It was short and relaxed. She then told me I have to wait at least a month until a hiring manager contacts me.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

The day began with a greeting and an agenda for the day; item 1) filling out HR forms. As an overseas applicant there were additional forms to fill in. The whole process took slightly longer than anticipated and I missed out on a one-to-one with a HR representative. Having been in regular communication earlier with the HR representative it wasn't too large an issue to have missed out on this.

I then had a very brief chat regarding applications for a Visa to enable work in the USA.

Around 10:30 I met with the hiring manager for a 30 minute discussion/informal chat regarding work at the Division, where I may fit in, strengths, weaknesses etc. No technical discussions throughout the day with the exception of the technical presentation which I will discuss later.

Two further 30 minute discussion with different members followed, again following an informal line of questioning about my knowledge of the company and to ensure I understood the business model at SwRI.

The technical presentation involved me discussing academic work, to a room of 10-15 employees, for around 30 minutes with a following 30 minute Q&A session. All very friendly and as it was work I was passionate about, it was a pleasure to discuss with fellow like-minded people.

I was taken to lunch by the hiring manager before further 30 minute slots for questions with several other members of the division. In-between there was time for a brief but concise tour of the facilities.

The whole process was around 7-8 hours, so fairly intensive but ultimately relaxed and at no time did I feel pressured. I was well prepared in terms of my technical presentation, the non-technical questions were more discussion points than interrogation.

All-in-all, a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for SwRI?
      Did I understand the scope of the job, also the scope of the job once promoted.
      Strengths & weaknesses.
      Ambitions within SwRI.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

submit resume online and if they like your resume then you will get a call for an interview. First will be a phonic round and you qualified they will call you for onsite interview. Question will be based on programming skills

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

After a university on-campus interview, I had a full day interview at SwRI. About 6 interviews spanning entry-level engineers to the VP. Lunch was with 3 employees at the cafeteria. A lot of the interviews was listening to what kind of work is done and what the institute model consists of. No technical questions though still tiring.

Negotiation

None, it was an entry-level job and the offer was very fair.

Student Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Interview

Met at career fair. Had two interviews with HR student hiring manager. Then I had one interview with the director of the division. All interviews by phone. Mainly behavioral questions

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campus, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute (Campus, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

submit resume in the job fair on campus, and got interview about 30 min. Basically they asked my questions on my resume, fea.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

The online application process was painful. However, once completed, HR was quick and efficient, and very pleasant to deal with. Setting up travel to interview on site was set up by HR and executed seamlessly. The interview process itself was a very structured, formal process. I met with at least five different interviewers, some of whom asked very technical questions, some of which I found moderately challenging.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me to impedance match using a Smith chart.   1 Answer

Could not reach agreeable salary.