Southwestern Advantage

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in February 2010.

Interview Details – A manager contacted me, I think she got my number from the university I was going to. I was asked a little about myself and I went into an information session, had to complete a couple of assignments, and then eventually was told I was accepted. It all happened within a month. We then drove from Santa Barbara to Nashville, Tennessee did a week of sales school and finally arrived in Jersey and given our territories where we'd sell the rest of the summer.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions, it's more about whether you really want to do the job or not.   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in March 2012.

Interview Details – Don't be fooled by how easy going the interview is! I ended up wasting $2000 to travel to a place in the middle of nowhere going door to door to people who weren't interested, and communicating with my recruiting manager was nearly impossible.More than half the interns I went with quit also. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!! Plus, I felt like I had joined a cult. I am still trying to recover from my traumatic so called "internship" at SW Advantage. You've been warned.

Interview Question – The questions were mainly about how I view myself (ex. strengths, weaknesses).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. The position compensation was based on commission for selling books door to door.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was invited for a information session on Campus at UBC. I did 5 interviews with my recruiter. The interview process was easy. If you have the determination to complete one of the hardest internships in Canada, you will make it. The recruiters want to hire because the more people they bring to the book field, the more commission they can potential make.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty standard. don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The job is 100% based on commission.

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in April 2012.

Interview Details – Was approached by a campus recruiter at a career fair, decided to go to an informational session. This consisted of an on-campus presentation, followed by a 1 on 1 interview should you choose to learn more, and a phone call to parents for a sort of "personality check".

Interview Question – What are your major strengths?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwestern Advantage Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Southwestern Advantage employees and interview candidates.