Sovereign Bancorp

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.5

Mortgage Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in January 2011.

I spoke with the recruiter over the phone about the position. I met with a manager in person. It was quick and simple and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation phase was pretty rigid. I was offered a signing bonus, I countered and we met in the middle. When I started I found out that others were able to get more for the three month bonus.

IT Expert II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dorchester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dorchester, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in January 2011.

I applied for several higher level positions, and when called by HR the first question I was asked was if I speak Spanish. When I said no, they weren't interested. I eventually was called for this position which I was overqualified for, but needed work. I committed to the job but left very soon after the commitment period was over.

The hiring manager doesn't negotiate. HR handles the whole thing. They choose off standard job descriptions so you can't research salaries. I was asked what my last salary was and then I wasn't called for days. Then a more senior HR person called me told me the range and that I would be hired at the bottom of the range. There was no wiggle room, no negotiation. I took the job because I needed the work. Left as soon as I got something better.

Part-time Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in December 2010.

The interview was very easy, in fact it was too easy. The entire thing consisted of a few questions and back and forth but it seemed very informal. I was asked basic customer service and sales questions, and although I seemed to connect with the interviewer, I did not walk away feeling positive due to the briefness of the interview. I did not feel as though it was taken very seriously. I have not received a call back yet.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to deal with an irate customer.   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with selling promotional services?   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in June 2010.

I received a phone call the day after I completed the on-line application. The first interview was via phone, basic questions of qualifications, what positions and locations I was interested in. I received a phone call from a branch manager to interview 2 days later, I interviewed and was offered the position 4 hrs. later. The interview consisted of general conversation followed by formality questions of character...have you ever had to deal with a rude customer, what have you done to go above and beyond to assist a customer...nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you instead of the person coming in next to interview for the same position?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, as I am looking for an entry level position and experience is more important than the pay at this point for me.

SAP Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyomissing, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyomissing, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in May 2010.

This was an internal position that I interviewed for. The hiring manager spent most of the time telling me about the position. I thought she may not ask me any questions, but then she did have notes on my resume and asked me resume-specific questions. The interview concluded with her telling me that she did not feel that this position would contain enough accounting for me and that I would be better suited for a staff accounting position

Branch Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in April 2010.

online, HR phone and then District Manager

Interview Questions
    • Standart set of questions, what you do , how and why should we hire you   Answer Question
    Negotiation was 4 phone calls offered 60 % of what was offered, Had to be aprooved by RM for this. If they like you they will do it.

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in April 2010.

Contacted by Branch Manger for quick questions about availability and confirmation of background checks. 2nd interview was supposed to be 2:1 Branch Manager and Head Teller ask questions pertaining to customer service and circumstantial issues and how to handle them. The branch I eventually worked in at the Colonial Park Mall was all mid 30's and fun to work with. They maintained professionalism with daily humor to avoid added stress. 3 staff members to run the bank with minimal supervision due to the knowledge and professionalism with the Head Bank Teller or Company was too cheap to hire a Branch Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever gone above and beyond to assist a customer or client? And what did you do to go above and beyond?   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in March 2010.

Quick, got the impression they didn't have many qualified candidates should have known.

Interview Questions
    • standard status quo questions every company asked but thinks they are clever and unique   View Answer
    easy, paid what I wanted, obviously needed emloyees

Workout Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in March 2010.

Applied on-line was contacted by recruiter and had phone interview. Within week interviewed with hiring manager. Position was open for awhile - said all right things to entice you.

Interview Questions
    • Did not especially ask for specific examples was a simple interview. Manager not very skilled in interviewing procedures.   View Answer
    Pretty straight forward - countered a bit higher than offered originally. Suggest getting all promises in writing.

Mortgage Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in February 2010.

hiring is a one on one with th emanager and he sits their just telling you what the job is about at the end of the interview you get a call within a day or so if your hired the job then goes into training mode for the next two weeks

Interview Questions
    it was just a base salary that they give everyone + commision