Sovereign Bancorp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mortgage Development Officer Interview

Mortgage Development Officer
Lakewood, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in February 2010.

Interview Details – hiring is a one on one with th emanager and he sits their just telling you what the job is about at the end of the interview you get a call within a day or so if your hired the job then goes into training mode for the next two weeks

Interview Question – how will you buold your book of business   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was just a base salary that they give everyone + commision

Bank Teller Interview

Bank Teller
Harrisburg, PA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in April 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by Branch Manger for quick questions about availability and confirmation of background checks. 2nd interview was supposed to be 2:1 Branch Manager and Head Teller ask questions pertaining to customer service and circumstantial issues and how to handle them. The branch I eventually worked in at the Colonial Park Mall was all mid 30's and fun to work with. They maintained professionalism with daily humor to avoid added stress. 3 staff members to run the bank with minimal supervision due to the knowledge and professionalism with the Head Bank Teller or Company was too cheap to hire a Branch Manager.

Interview Question – Have you ever gone above and beyond to assist a customer or client? And what did you do to go above and beyond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager
Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in March 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter was very sharp and went straight to the point. Asked me very specific things on my resume so KNOW everything.

Interview Question – What is your salary expectation?   View Answer

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Randolph, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a member of HR and given some encouragement that my resume and application was attractive. An interview was scheduled with the regional hiring manager which I attended. Interviews were scheduled on top of each other as I was in a waiting area with 3 other candidates. Hiring manager led me up rickety stairs in an outdated building where we met in a sparse office (not his own I presume). He asked me 4 questions and then talked the rest of the time, outlining the impossible task of management and downplaying the opportunity and making the prospect of working there unattractive. He said I should call next week to follow up with HR but I received an email the next day saying they had moved on to other candidates. I was not offended but felt I didn't really get interviewed as much as I listened to a manager complain about his own company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a scenario where you focused your team on a goal for the month and discovered halfway through the month it wasn't working and what did you do to try and correct it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a situation where you coached a subordinate who would not cooperate and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in March 2010.

Interview Details – Quick, got the impression they didn't have many qualified candidates should have known.

Interview Question – standard status quo questions every company asked but thinks they are clever and unique   View Answer

Negotiation Details – easy, paid what I wanted, obviously needed emloyees

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in May 2011.

Interview Details – one phone interview followed by three 1:1 onsite interviews with the VP's two of which are moderate and the other one is tough. I didn't get any replies from the thank you letter i sent after the interview. the waiting period after the interview was painful cuz I didn't get any feedback.

Mortgage Development Officer Interview

Mortgage Development Officer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in January 2011.

Interview Details – I spoke with the recruiter over the phone about the position. I met with a manager in person. It was quick and simple and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Question – What is your average loan volume per month?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was pretty rigid. I was offered a signing bonus, I countered and we met in the middle. When I started I found out that others were able to get more for the three month bonus.

Management Position Interview

Management Position
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in July 2011.

Interview Details – I initially received a call from a recruiter at Sovereign. I went in, interviewed with three people and was called back about a week later to come back in and meet with someone else. I was told the job description changed and one of the higher ups wanted to me with me. The only thing I didn't like was they had me interview with this person not knowing at all what the new responsibilities were. It just made it awkward because the person I came in to interview with asked if I understood the responsibilities of the position.

To make a long story short, they created a position for me, which I think is great. From what it sounds like they are in the middle of a huge transition/upgrade of all areas of the company. They offer they made me was more than I thought it would be and the bonus structure sounds great.

Interview Question – What are your best qualities?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I thought the offer was very fair for the economy and the bonus potential is very good.

Personal Banker Interview

Personal Banker
Haverhill, MA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in July 2011.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with the HR lady, which was the tell me about a time stuff. Then she set up an interview with the branch manager and that was just chatting. Communication with both was smooth through the whole process so I was surprised that I never got ANY response back. Very disappointed. I even tried following up with both and that did nothing for me.

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question

Part-time Teller Interview

Part-time Teller
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy, in fact it was too easy. The entire thing consisted of a few questions and back and forth but it seemed very informal. I was asked basic customer service and sales questions, and although I seemed to connect with the interviewer, I did not walk away feeling positive due to the briefness of the interview. I did not feel as though it was taken very seriously. I have not received a call back yet.