Space Exploration Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Avionics Engineer Interview

Avionics Engineer
Hawthorne, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in July 2012.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews: an initial one on a generic topic and your interest, followed by a more specific one. Questions range from fundamental all the way to really advanced concepts.

Interview Question – Actually, all questions were relevant and sort of expected for the particular area that I wanted to work in.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter just days after I had submitted my resume through a career website who set up an interview time with a hiring manager after discussing my area of interest. Later, I was contacted by the hiring manager who asked me to describe some of the project results I had on my resume. Asked me about some of my other interests and work ethic. He immediately gave me a result from my interview within 10 minutes and recruitment contacted me 5 minutes later to ask about relocation and send acceptance paperwork. In general, the people were nice, but they seemed to be in a hurry all the time.

Interview Question – What is your work style?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in August 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and some work examples through their website. The position I applied to was focused on Python software development in support of the Avionics hardware team. A few days later I was contacted by a recruiter saying there was interest. The first step was take an online C/C++ programming test. Initially I was worried because my background is much more Python-oriented. I should not have worried. The test was stuff that any serious programmer should know.

The second step in the process was a technical interview with the software engineer who headed up this particular software team. It's been quite a while since I've done an interview (10+ years), and the "technical" part of this interview caught me a little by surprise. I have done more homework on this topic since then and I think the questions I was asked are probably typical. I fumbled around on a few, the rest I think I gave good answers. When I was uncertain, I made sure to talk through my thought process as I tried to find a solution.

Towards the end I got somewhat negative feedback that my work experience might be too "researchy" for the position in question.

The third step was a week-long programming challenge assignment. The topic was not at all technical or work related. I basically had to create a simple text console application in Python given a handful of requirements. I spent sooooo much time on this task! It was frankly a lot of fun. On the last day I misjudged my time and I was not able to meet all the requirements. I feel quite strongly that the work I put into that task very clearly shows my Python programming strengths. Given the earlier doubts I think they had about, I think this (small?) error on my part gave them an easy way to tell me "thanks, but no thanks."

The recruiter told me that the only feedback he received from the engineer about my programming test was that it was incomplete, with no further details. My application was closed.

The entire process took about a month. Many days would go by when I thought I was waiting for them to make the next step happen. When I would get in touch with the recruiter, it would turn he was waiting for info from the engineer, who in turn thought her part was done.

Interview Question – I basically had to create a simple text console application in Python given a handful of requirements.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Test Technician Interview

Test Technician

Interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies

Interview Details – Got a call for interview. The HR person was a not to savvy on hiring laws. They seem to be in an endless loop of regression. They couldn't answer my questions about the company, their expansion plans, technical questions about the product. I don't think they hire any former NASA technicians if you are over 30 so don't waste your time, that was obvious. They seemed very confused about what the future of their company might be. There seemed to be a lot of chaos in the company from the way the HR was talking, which was very surprising. I have been around aerospace for many years. Not professional like the people I used to work with in NASA and at the Cape. I've seen it before, a recipe for disaster, just watch what happens. In the private commercial space business you are only good until the first incident. Then everyone runs for the real pros. like Boeing.

Interview Question – If our grasshopper rocket is leaning to the left on decent how much variation in the gyro settings need to be offset accounting for the speed of the earth.   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – There are more professional outfits to work for that will be around for a while.

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in October 2012.

Interview Details – Waited in line at career fair, heard back in one to two weeks via email about technical phone interview in about a week. Did my 30 minute phone interview and received a call that night saying that I had received an offer.

Interview Question – My questions were all based on my experience, I didn't find any of them to be particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate as I didn't have any other offers on the table and they only gave me 2 weeks to decide.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Hawthorne, CA

Interview Details – Attended 3 one-on-one phone interviews. 1 interviewer "spaced" to call me and we ended up having to reschedule.

Interview Question – I actually found the technical questions to be quite easy.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Hawthorne, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via their website. One of their recruiters responded within a couple of days. Next was a 60-minute online multiple-choice quiz covering the basics of C++, C#, and SQL. It had 14 questions, and these could easily be answered in a small fraction of the total time given. I had plenty of time to double- and triple-check my work. Then was a phone interview with their recruiter, in which he asked about some things on my resume and asked me some more technical questions centering on data structures and algorithms. He wasn't a developer himself, but it seemed like their developers had provided these questions. Then were two more phone interviews, each with a different developer on their staff. These were done with a live collabedit.com session where they asked me to develop various algorithms live while on the phone with them.

Interview Question – "Write a function implementing the _________ data structure" (various kinds including Stack and Binary Tree). Followed by, "Now rewrite your work without using loops", e.g. recursively.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Hawthorne, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in August 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted University recruiter via LinkedIn, told me to apply online and to forward him a copy of my resume so that he could keep tabs on me. Contacted for technical phone interview with a manager. Contacted the recruiter again asking for advice. He told me to keep doing whatever I was doing because it was working and the interviewer had written positive things. Then had another technical phone interview with a director. Both interviews were a little intimidating just because i really wanted the internship and I only have a year of college under my belt. Questions started open ended, then became increasingly technical as the interviewer probed my knowledge. The weren't super talkative, but I didn't take it to mean they were impolite, just busy people who have important things they need to do.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to trouble should electrical hardware? [one time so and so interface wasn't working] Why wasn't it working? [don't really know but we figured out how to bypass it] What would you have seen if you probed the signal with a scope? [whatever we saw on the screen if we were simply probing the connector] What would you have expected to see within the hardware if the signal was railing? [i dunno some trigger happy resistor]   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – sent me an offer, rate of pay was $22 which is about 3 or 4 dollars more than my summer internship, and money isn't as important as the awesomeness of what i'll have the opportunity to do so i accepted

Hawthorne, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in August 2013.

Interview Details – Tech screen by HR, 2 technical phone interviews, 6-hour on-site interview with 5 one-on-one sessions (2 tech, 3 not) and provided lunch.

Phone interviews are to establish proficiency and basic coding approach.
In-person technical sessions were split: one more daily-problem oriented, the other about known algorithmic solutions.
Non-technical interviews were personality / philosophy / social.

Feedback time between each step was 1-2 days.

Interview Question – Some questions about framework internals, not generally relevant to day-to-day.   View Answer

CAD Intern Interview

CAD Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in July 2013.

Interview Details – Technical interview. Basically went over resume and asked some technical questions relating to mostly manufacturing and some questions regarding the company.

Interview Question – What are the cons of welding?   Answer Question