Space Exploration Technologies

Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.5

Structures Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in March 2014.

Applied online in January. Received a phone call on March 18 about scheduling a phone interview with the Structures Team. Interview was two days later, on Thursday.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about Statics and Mechanics of Materials: Fixed wall with an aluminium beam in between. The beam is heated, what happens inside the beam at and the walls? How would you optimize a beam, which is fixed to the wall at one end, for a vertical load at the very end? What is happening at the wall due to the vertical load? How would you optimize a beam for a torsional load?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in March 2014.

its a series of questions, I cannot understand why the EEOC has not come in and revived HR Records...(Lucky for SpaceX, they do not have any records, al changing so audit would be hard to conduct.

Interview Questions
    • If hired, can you work overtime? They never state how many hours everyone puts in for free!   View Answer

Build Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies.

took me 3 month to get the phone call

Launch Engineer Interview

Phone interview and on-site interview

Product Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in February 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call from HR about 2 weeks later. They were very careful to screen for prior knowledge of the company and willingness to commit significant hours compared to most jobs. After passing the HR screen, I was connected with the hiring manager for this position. The phone interview consisted mostly of high-level questions regarding how my experience is applicable to SpaceX. Very few technical details at that point. Since the manager liked me, they invited me on-site. The on-site interview was very challenging and enjoyable. I had to do a lot of self-reflection because they ask you to describe your most substantial accomplishments to date in great detail. The focus is on YOUR role in anything that is on your resume. Most of the folks were personable, but also looked as if they were working 70 hour weeks all the time. The interview begins with a presentation to a panel who then each interviews you one on one. Finally, after being well liked in the on-site interview, my credentials were reviewed by the executive team and I was approved for an offer. Overall, a fun but challenging interview and fantastic facility to tour.

Interview Questions
    • How can you apply statistical process control to a low volume product such as rockets?   Answer Question

I received a dream Ph. D fellowship at the same time. The clear lack of a social/family life for everyone working there was also a factor.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies.

Contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was a technical interview with one of their engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Several technical engineering questions across multiple disciplines.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in January 2014.

I was referred by my co-worker because he knows a recruiter at SpaceX. I immediately called the recruiter and we touched base on my background and why SpaceX. Phone call lasted about 30 minutes. Towards the end, I was told that I would be contacted by the current Talent Acquisition Coordinator for a quick phone screen.

Next day, I spoke with the Talent Acquisition Coordinator for a brief 15 minutes, talked mostly about my experience in this position, volume I handle, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Towards the end of the conversation, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview.

For such an entry-level position, I was surprised at the amount of people on the panel I had to speak with. I was scheduled to speak with 7 people on the Recruiting team, lasting about 3.5 hours. After my 4th interview, my recruiter came in and told me that they have decided to move forward with one of the other candidates (they already had two other strong candidates in the running) and that the only way I could've captured their attention was if I had done a stellar job in presenting myself, which I thought I was doing. My recruiter gave me a heads up during our initial contact that there were already 2 other candidates, so I wasn't totally surprised. It's just a debbie downer when I thought I was doing a great job, only to find out that they have already made up their mind.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were ordinary: why SpaceX, background, the amount of volume I handled, etc. They're just very tough critiques and like to see that you go "above and beyond"   View Answer

Propulsion Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in January 2014.

I was recruited because I knew CFD and I was an undergrad (which is rare and they wanted cheap labor for the summer). A friend of mine worked there and was asked to find an undergraduate that knows CFD so he gave them my resume. I was contacted the next day to schedule a time the very next day for a interview. It was with a lead propulsion analyst who asked me about shock waves in moving and stationary coordinates, over-expanded vs under-expanded nozzle stuff, nozzle flow, channel flow, when to use bernoulli's equation vs the isentropic equations, derive hoop stress, and when to use k-epsilon vs the k-omega turbulence models. I was interviewed by a computational physicist 2 days laters and he asked me about numerical algorithms, implicit vs explicit, jacobians, adaptive mesh refinement, etc. The very next day they offered me a summer internship.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to the stagnation and static properties on both sides of a shockwave in both moving and stationary coordinates.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies.

I was contacted by a recruiter just days after I had submitted my resume through a career website who set up an interview time with a hiring manager after discussing my area of interest. Later, I was contacted by the hiring manager who asked me to describe some of the project results I had on my resume. Asked me about some of my other interests and work ethic. He immediately gave me a result from my interview within 10 minutes and recruitment contacted me 5 minutes later to ask about relocation and send acceptance paperwork. In general, the people were nice, but they seemed to be in a hurry all the time.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Space Exploration Technologies in December 2013.

After applying online, I received a call from HR a week later saying that they liked my resume and would forward it to the hiring managers.

Some time later I got another call from HR to schedule my 1st technical Interview. A week later I had the interview, which ended up lasting 60 min. A couple days later I was contacted by HR again to schedule a 2nd technical interview. The second interview lasted about 40 min. I was told that they wanted to add me as a member to one of their sub-teams working on Dragon. Just two days after that, I received a call from HR saying that I did not get the position.

Overall, I felt like the whole process went really well, except for some minor things. I thought that the interviews themselves went extremely well, as I was able to answer almost all of the questions that were asked, and both interviews ended with the interviewers saying they really liked me. Their questions were entirely based on my resume, but were very technical in nature. The structure of the interviews were very laid back, alternating from me asking them questions, to asking me really technical questions based on very specific things on my resume.

I was surprised when I heard that I didn't get the position, since the interviews went so well. I tried inquiring why, but as is usually the case, I never heard back. Since it was a last minute interview for the Spring, I felt like the applicants may have all been competing for the final spots.

I'll definitely be applying again! Regardless of their decision, they were very professional and made sure not to waste my time. This was one of the better interview experiences I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that were outside my engineering field. Interviewers knew that ahead of time, but were more interested in my thought process. For example, a non AeroEng. being asked about more complex celestial mechanics problems.   Answer Question